• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you keep playing 4e?

Ulrick

First Post
This question was inspired by this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...why-did-you-quit-playing-d-d-4th-edition.html

I think their needs to be some positive things to counter all the anti-4e sediment out there. I'm also going to starting running a 4e campaign come Sunday. I've only run a couple one-offs with 4e, so I'm definitely interesting in knowing the positives of 4e--especially after reading the negatives (combat grind, etc.)

Why do you keep playing 4e? It's been about 6 months since 4e was released. During that time, I'm assuming there has got to be people who have gone 4e without looking back. If so, why?

thundershot

Adventurer
We've been playing because we're having fun. Siimple as that. I love the fact that there's not NEARLY the number crunching that 3E had, and the Power Cards make everything much smoother. Also, the way the official adventures are layed out are perfect. I hated having to flip through books to have stats, and I REALLY hated having to prep things like spells. Everything is the way I want it...

Wootz

First Post
Because I didn't spend over 100 dollars on this game for nothing.

And it's fun, easy to learn

Last edited by a moderator:

D'karr

Adventurer
Why do you keep playing 4e? It's been about 6 months since 4e was released. During that time, I'm assuming there has got to be people who have gone 4e without looking back. If so, why?

Simple answer. It's simple.

I'm having a blast running games and even more, playing in them. The fact that I can run the game without even looking at the books is indeed a plus.

The aspect that I'm enjoying the most is changing things around (monsters) to fit what I need. This can be done on the fly and without any major repercussions or problems.

This game has given new life to my gaming.

RefinedBean

First Post
Because preparing for games is as much fun as running or playing in them.

Darn right, this is the first game I've ever been REALLY excited to prepare for, let alone run.

It's also fun to see how power choice and character development play out in interesting, unique ways...on the battlefield AND off. Forming strategies is definitely team-oriented, with everyone contributing equally, something I felt was lacking in earlier editions.

Also, every night, 4E magically awakens, scampers into the kitchen, and bakes me fresh bread for the morning.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Mainly, I play 4e because I have a blast while doing so. But what I really love is how all the modular, relatively simple parts of the system interact and synergize, becoming a coherent, intricit, and elegant whole. Its a new system, so there's a lot of design space to explore, and I find that to be an exciting prospect.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Because preparing for games is as much fun as running or playing in them.

Nailed it for me! Thanks ;) I love making new adventurers or adapting an older edition module to 4E. I love the fact that anything I can think of can be a power or ability of a monster I make (that Orc Cheiftain can attack, shift, attack, shift, attack because I think it would be a cool ability of a solo leader to take on a bunch of PCs) and knowing how much damage he should be able to do is as simple as looking at one single table. This is also why it feels like Basic D&D to me - this is exactly how I would make up new monsters back in the day.

Remove ads