D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

tyrlaan

Explorer
This system is adaptable to what a person wants to do. It is very customizable. Pretending this system is hardcoded is false.

I've played every edition of D&D. This is the more barebones, customizable edition of D&D I've ever played. You can literally tack on rulesets from other editions and get them to work pretty easily. It's very modular. You could add on more feats and not break the game. You could use healing surges and not break the game. People have gotten rid of concentration and not broken the game.

I feel at the moment the critics are saying "I prefer this other system that already does what I want." And that's fine. But pretending this incredibly adaptive edition of D&D can't incorporate other play-styles is false. You have to do the work yourself. If you don't want to do it, then that is fine. Saying it can't be done in this edition is false. You could even raise the stats to 40 or higher and create an epic game easier than any previous edition. The numbers in this edition are so simple that you can do almost any play-style adaptation with it.

That is why I don't get the complaints. If you want to play 5E, play it. Port in what you like from 4E and adapt 5E. If you prefer 4E, play that. Don't claim 5E can't incorporate any play-style including 4E style skill challenges or static world DCs. Just thinking it should be done for you by the game designers is not a flaw of 5E.

Another way to say the same thing is - "D&D 5th edition. Assembly required."

Barebones and customizable to one person is sparse and incomplete to another. Incredibly adaptive to one is poorly designed to another.

The linchpin of 5e is embracing that the DM controls ALL. And I mean Controls with a capital C here. Clearly the DM is always the one running the show in any game. In 5e however, this is sort of like the Force - it's what surrounds the rules and binds them together.

Now that can be cool for some folks, and I get that. I'm a fan of tinkering myself, though more in the system design space than the GM fiat in the middle of a session space.

But let's also acknowledge that this can be very uncool for some folks. And I get that too. I would imagine for some folk it's practically like buying an incomplete product, for $150 no less! Especially when you consider how vastly more "wide" the industry is these days. If you don't want to pick up the 5e Tinker Toy set and make your own game, you can probably find a perfectly good alternative that has you covered based on your specific needs.

And while we're acknowledging things, let's just clear the air that its no more right or no more wrong to like 5e because there's "assembly required" or to dislike it for that reason.

Personally I kind of struggle with the idea of running a game in a system that requires me to do more work to run it than other systems that let me do less work to achieve an experience that meshes with my wants. I don't need 5e for my GM fiat license and if I'm going to build out additional rules for a game, I'd just as soon dust off the game system I've on again-off again worked on for years now. And in fact, since I've got no game on the horizon, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Nope. I suspect he also finds it a big plus that the fighter actually has a chance to erect walls of stone to cut off pursuit, turn into another person, fly/teleport, see into the future, and gate in an overwhelmingly powerful creature when the party doesn't include a wizard.

AFAIK, fighters in 5E can only do the items in bold. They can't do Wall of Stone, Teleportation (except Arcane Charge), or Gate things in.

Barebones and customizable to one person is sparse and incomplete to another. Incredibly adaptive to one is poorly designed to another.

The linchpin of 5e is embracing that the DM controls ALL. And I mean Controls with a capital C here. Clearly the DM is always the one running the show in any game. In 5e however, this is sort of like the Force - it's what surrounds the rules and binds them together.

You can run a game of D&D where rule resolution and content creation are separate responsibilities. The DM will always and must always be responsible for content creation, because as the Czege Principle states, "when one person is the author of both the character's adversity and its resolution, play isn't fun."[1] The DM doesn't necessarily have to be in charge of rule resolution. You can and I have resolved rules question by table consensus or majority vote. I don't always do it that way--for minor issues I'll just make the call, since I am both the DM and the most experienced RPGer and the most familiar with the 5E rules--but it's certainly not incompatible with 5E's style to take rulings out of the DM's exclusive province.

The benefit of doing so is that it enhances player agency, which is the majority of the fun of D&D. Player agency is essentially the ability of a player to predict in advance the results of an interaction, without having to play 20 Questions With the DM first. It's not necessary that player be able to succeed, he just has to have a good understanding of what the odds are. The more closely you adhere to predictable rules at your table, the more easily players can immerse themselves in the world as actors in that world.

I've mentioned before that one rule that works well at my table is the Rule of Yes: the first time in a campaign that you try something wacky, it just works and we'll go from there. The second time I may bother coming up with actual rules for e.g. how much rope you need to securely bind a roper's tentacles to itself so you can capture it safely without it eating you, but the first time it's guaranteed to work. This is an actual rule at our table, so the player thinking to himself, "Hmmm, I wonder if I can shadow jump straight up and then fall on top of that vampire with my wooden stake pointing straight down" can decide for himself whether he likes the merits of the plan (pro: badly damage the vampire; con: take falling damage) without the lag introduced by consulting the DM for a feasibility judgment first. Thus, the Rule of Yes leads to more player agency and fun at the table, but the fact that it only necessarily works once prevents it from getting out of control in abusive ways.

[1] There are ways to run an enjoyable solo D&D game, but AFAIK they all externalize content creation to e.g. random tables, or at least to a separate asynchronous "authoring" mode.

Personally I kind of struggle with the idea of running a game in a system that requires me to do more work to run it than other systems that let me do less work to achieve an experience that meshes with my wants. I don't need 5e for my GM fiat license and if I'm going to build out additional rules for a game, I'd just as soon dust off the game system I've on again-off again worked on for years now. And in fact, since I've got no game on the horizon, that's exactly what I'm doing.

That sounds reasonable, and I share your frustration with the unfinished bits of 5E (e.g. the MM is particularly sparse on non-combat creature information) but what's the alternative that doesn't have some assembly required? I've never found a system of any kind that didn't require additional pieces, nor can I even really imagine what that system would look like as a commercial product. The closest I've ever seen is GURPS: Gulliver, but even that really only gives you rules for things without its specific purview (building very large/small/oddly shaped creatures/fast/slow/strong creatures and running them in a way which is both realistic and fun), leaving another 80% of the game that still requires DM fiat. What happens when someone drills a hole in this section of castle? Do you have castle structural integrity rules to tell you which floors will collapse? What kind of furniture is in this house where the hobgoblin vampires have been holed up for the past three weeks? Obviously the rooms aren't going to just be empty except for three vampires--but what is there? What do dragons eat and how often?

You always run into these kinds of information vacuums in any system I've ever heard of. Some assembly is always required.

Last edited:

tyrlaan

Explorer
That sounds reasonable, and I share your frustration with the unfinished bits of 5E (e.g. the MM is particularly sparse on non-combat creature information) but what's the alternative that doesn't have some assembly required? I've never found a system of any kind that didn't require additional pieces, nor can I even really imagine what that system would look like as a commercial product. The closest I've ever seen is GURPS: Gulliver, but even that really only gives you rules for things without its specific purview (building very large/small/oddly shaped creatures/fast/slow/strong creatures and running them in a way which is both realistic and fun), leaving another 80% of the game that still requires DM fiat. What happens when someone drills a hole in this section of castle? Do you have castle structural integrity rules to tell you which floors will collapse? What kind of furniture is in this house where the hobgoblin vampires have been holed up for the past three weeks? Obviously the rooms aren't going to just be empty except for three vampires--but what is there? What do dragons eat and how often?

You always run into these kinds of information vacuums in any system I've ever heard of. Some assembly is always required.[/COLOR]

Seeking a system with a rule for everything would be taking my points to a gross extreme while also being a good way to pursue a path of madness (IMO at least, if you /really/ like simulationist games this might be something you want to do). Like I said, I already have my GM fiat license and there are plenty of places in any game where you need to (or should) use it if you want to run a decent game. My point however is that there's a BIG difference between having a "rule 0" in your product and saying "this game requires GM fiat to operate". And based on plenty of commentary in this thread, it's clear to me that 5e is way closer to the latter than the former.

In the same vein, I'm completely aware that no game will ever cover "it all", and that's why I said "less work" instead of "no work" in my commentary. Just like how much someone likes/dislikes 5e is a matter of personal preference, so too is how close one system vs another meets his/her needs.

With that said, the answer to your question of "what's the alternative" - a game that requires me to do less to get it where I want my game to be. That's it.

Eric V

Hero
The point is exactly what EGG said it was in the 1e DMG, and what Mearls has been saying since the playtest if not before: A 'starting' point.

The DM runs by the rules (which do tell him to make rulings from the get-go), until such times as they would give a poor result, at which point he overrides the system and presents a better result.

This is the thing, though: What is a 'better result?' Because people will not agree on that. As an example, some DMs don't like it when the BBEG would go down in round 2 because of player creativity ("Underwhelming ending!") and then make a 'ruling'; this is the main reason I would only ever play an illusionist in 4e. It's supposed to be shared story-creation, or so I thought.

Another example is the DM who applies very specific real-world physics to non-magic users, but lets magic do everything...discouraging non-casters.

IOW, I don't like that one person's imagination trumps everyone else's. At least in a system that has "Rules, rulings when they aren't covered" people are on the same page.

They're the curtain. They give the players the impression that it's not just all unfettered GM fiat, and the illusion that they have some idea of their characters' abilities and some control over their characters' success or failure. (If that were true, PCs would fail a lot more often!)

So ultimately, what my toon does, succeeds or fails, isn't up to me? It's just GM fiat? Why play?

pemerton

Legend
Well, except 'attack.' So, maybe the odd archery contest or something, but mostly combat.
The ability text mentions ability checks, which is the context in which I raise it in this thread (Basic PDF, p 28):

If your attack misses a target within range, you can turn the miss into a hit. Alternatively, if you fail an ability check, you can treat the d20 roll as a 20.​

I didn't think ability checks, in 5e, are solely or even primarily an in-combat thing. Hence I don't see how the use of Stroke of Luck is confined to combat, as [MENTION=6784868]Erechel[/MENTION] claimed.

pemerton

Legend
It seems to me that 5e's PC build rules - including the mechanical definitions of PC abilities - are very similar to 4e (especially Essentials), though obviously not identical. At a general level (as opposed to the particularities of individual classes and subclasses) the most obvious difference from 4e is one of degree: the very great asymmetry in resource recovery across different classes, which puts a fair bit of pressure on the GM to manage pacing in an appropriate fashion.

Once we get to action resolution, I think the game isn't terribly much like 4e at all, though, except in the very general sense that (like 3E also) it is a d20 system.

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] if 4e's smattering of DC's don't counts as dictating the fiction for DC's then I'm going to have to agree with [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6784868]Erechel[/MENTION] since the amount of nailed down DC's is about on par with what I remember in 4e... So I have to revise my opinion. Both games allow the DM to structure the fiction that lines up with DC's.
The difference from 4e that is significant for me (and, I think, some other posters) is the lack of guidelines/constraints on the setting of DCs.

4e has guidelines for level appropriate DCs (page 42 and its successors through the Essentials rules for skill challenges). Furthermore, the relative mechanical symmetry of 4e PCs (in terms of distributions of high and low skill bonuses, and non-skill abilities able to bear on non-combat situations, and - for non-Essentials PCs - ratios of encounter to daily abilities, etc) all mean that infelicities in GM pacing management (whether at the intra- or inter-encounter leve) do not tend to have an uneven effect on different PCs.

5e does not have comparable guidelines for level appropriate DCs. And 5e PCs are more asymmetric than 4e ones. So at one and the same time pressure on the GM to manage pacing in a way that will avoid intra-party imbalance is increased, while the system support for doing so is reduced.

But there is guidelines.

<snip>

The DC settings, because Bounded Accuracy and linear, non exponential growth of power, are fixed to the world and not levels, hence the difficulties chart:
5 for very easy task, (75% of probability without being trained),
10 for easy tasks (50% chances without being trained),
15 for average (25% chances whitout training),
20 for hard (5% chance without training),
25 for very hard (0% chance with or without training if you have not a significant Stat Mod -at least +3 with training), 30 for nearly impossible (0% chance if you have not Expertise, magical aid, and a significant modifier -at least for a level 4 character. With Expertise -+4-, exceptional stat -+4/+5- and Guidance -1d4- you have a slight chance, but you are an exceptional expert magically aided).
Whether or not 5e DCs are "fixed to the world" seems to be a matter of contention. [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] don't agree, as best I can tell from their posts.

My concern, as a GM, is with managing pacing (including the contributions to pacing of successes and failures) in a way that does not unduly favour one player over another. I don't feel that 5e's guidelines help me a lot with that, because (whether or not I treat the DCs as "world set") they don't give me advice on how those DCs relate to expected PC capabilities and player resources.

a 5E DM could incorporate a 4E skill challenge.

<snip>

You can use the DC system in whatever fashion suits you.
Why do you believe a 5E DM could not construct a DC system that does what you want it to do? Or determine percentages that create dramatic tension in a non-combat scenario? Why do you believe you can't accomplish exactly the same effect in 5E as 4E? That is what I don't understand. There is nothing that prevents a DM from using the skill system to do exactly what you outlined above.
I've given some reasons why it is actually not that straightforward. So has [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]. So has [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION].

The combination of narrow bands of DCs having a somewhat ambiguous relationship to "world set" difficulties, plus the asymmetry of the resource suites across PCs/players, plus the pacing issues to which this gives rise, seem to me to make it quite tricky.

Personally if I was running 5e I'd run it more like Runequest or Burning Wheel, treating DCs as strictly "objective", and applying "say yes, or roll the dice". My feeling, though, is that this might make spell casters a little too good, as they can succeed without having to roll the dice (by casting spells), whereas fighters and other non-casters have no similar capabilities (as has been noted upthread). This is another difference from 4e, where the abilities conferred on casters by the ritual system - and, hence, the ability to sidestep rolling the dice in pursuit of success - are a bit more modest.

Whereas in Pathfinder it was assumed that a failure meant the door wasn't damage in any fashion. Whereas in 5E bashing down a door could go like this. Fighter hits it and fails. Second roll he gets advantage or anyone after him gets advantage.

<snip>
Create an iron door. If you don't have a strength of 20, it is disadvantage to break it down. The door requires a DC 20 Str, DC 15, and DC 10 strength check to break it down.
here comes the importance of fighter's Remarkable Athlete feature.

And an easy solve to your problem is that to have the sightiest chance to accomplish a task you have to fulfill a prerequisite (a mechanic already used for several things, like feats and multiclass): for example, having at leat 15 St to smash a particular type of door, or having to use tools like a ram if you don't.
These ideas, of thresholds operating in various ways, are interesting. I don't think they highlight the importance of Remarkable Athlete, though - they tend to undermine it, because it doesn't help a fighter cross any threshold.

They also introduce a degree of complexity into the system which it is generally a virtue of d20 to avoid. And they have consequences like it being hugely important whether a potion gives you (say) a bonus to STR or a bonus to STR checks - because only the former will help with thresholds. In general, they make the maths less elegant and the system less transparent.

Treating GM Force as the answer, more than that...a virtue (you don't have to worry about testing the veracity of your heroic mettle in the crucible of the resolution mechanics because I'll just always spin a yarn when the system's vulnerabilities, which would render that veracity untenable and your archetype illegitimate, stare us in the face), isn't a selling point for a GM like me who abhors the practice.
I sense that you have fear to give any control to the DM.
I don't fear any control. [MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION] states the Czege principle upthread, and I generally subscribe to it. I want the GM to have control over the framing of scenes and presentation of challenges. I want the players to have control over deploying their resources to overcome (via their PCs) those challenges. The GM's role at this point should include adjudication, but I think there is a clear difference - even if sometimes it's degree rather than kind - between adjudicating the fiction and deciding whether or not an action declaration succeeds or fails.

Setting thresholds, for instance, is tantamount to deciding that a certain PC just can't succeed at a certain action declaration. That's something that I prefer to be approaches with caution and transparency. When done ad hoc in a bonus-based, target-number resolution system, I find it tends to lead to railroading.

GM force is always used. Even in 4E, the GM or module designer chooses what the mechanic will be used for. I never have and never will understand the belief that anything else occurs. Even the few times I DMed 4E, I created the skill challenges. I decided when they occurred, what skills or abilities would be involved, and the entire fiction behind the resolution process.
This runs together GM control over framing and GM control over resolution. I want these kept separate.

(Also, in a skill challenge, the players decide what skills or abilities to use: PHB p 179; DMG pp 73, 75.)

To the extent that this is true, in feeds into the concerns that I have been expressing above.

That's a matter of taste, of course. It was a very useful strategy, from the early days of D&D on through 3.5, so a 'fix' available to more experienced DMs.

<snip>

The DM runs by the rules (which do tell him to make rulings from the get-go), until such times as they would give a poor result, at which point he overrides the system and presents a better result.

[The system and numbers] give the players the impression that it's not just all unfettered GM fiat, and the illusion that they have some idea of their characters' abilities and some control over their characters' success or failure. (If that were true, PCs would fail a lot more often!)
Yes, it's a matter of taste. Hence, its utility is highly variable. Personally I'm not a big fan. As a GM I don't want to be making up what happens.

(I also think you have mischaracterised Gygax's advice in his DMG. He is quite emphatic that overriding the dice in respect of action resolution would be contrary to the most important tenets of the game. The only bit of action resolution override he countenances is in how to adjudicate a PC being dropped to zero hit points. But that's something of a tangent.)

I find it a big plus that the wizard actually has a chance to break down the door, when the party doesn't include a fighter or other STR-based PC.
If the party contains no STR-based PC, I will tend not to pose STR-oriented challenges - except perhaps as a bit of colour or light relief (the ogre challenges the wizard to an arm wrestle). But if a wizard PC wants to get into a locked and barred room, for instance, I generally expect him/her to use wizardly means, rather than to try and do it as a fighter would (just as fighters aren't generally able to approach tasks as a wizard would).

DaveDash

Explorer
And an easy solve to your problem is that to have the sightiest chance to accomplish a task you have to fulfill a prerequisite (a mechanic already used for several things, like feats and multiclass): for example, having at leat 15 St to smash a particular type of door, or having to use tools like a ram if you don't.

That's actually an option I haven't considered, which I might. A "minimum" threshold as such.

I don't mind the Wizard breaking down the door when the Fighter can't once in a while, as it causes a bit of comic relief and such, but too often and it starts to strain the suspension of disbelief.

It also kind of goes the other way too - I've noticed with flatter DC's combined with expertise, certain things like spotting traps and such with passives become far too easy. I've noticed in Princes of the Apocalypse they actually don't let you spot something that is actually hidden from sight (requires investigation instead), or add 5 to the passive DC if it's well hidden. I like this, but I don't see enough DM's using investigation/passives in this way.

This has stuck out as an issue for me when converting 3rd edition content - which I have been doing. Tons of traps in a 3rd Edition module that may be very deadly roadblocks become pretty easy to bypass in 5e for various reasons. For example, when converting City of the Spider Queen, back in 3rd Edition if you didn't have a min/maxed Rogue you will basically die. Obviously this is not a good thing for parties without Rogues, nor parties without min/maxed Rogues.
5e goes way too far the other way though where you don't even need much to bypass all the traps. Anyone can take a background that gives them proficiency bonus in sleight of hand, or tool proficiency with thieves tools. Even when using DC20 traps which are meant to be "hard", once you start getting up to higher levels (lower levels 5e seems to gel nicely), anyone has a pretty good chance of bypassing traps - +7 to +9 bonus is common, and Rogues/Bards get +14-15. It's worse if you allow the 'aid another' rule and have two characters who are proficient aid each other. Having everything at DC30 to maintain the challenge is an option, but not a great one IMO.
It can take a lot of the wind out of the exploration pillar of the game and actually increase DM workload, because I have to re-engineer a lot of things with the expectation that they will be found, so instead changing them to be hard to bypass. And the mechanics-lite-fluff-filled 5e DMG is no help here.

I think the summary of all this is bounded accuracy works great in combat, but I'm not sold on it yet in out of combat stuff. It leads to weirdness on one hand where Wizards bust through castle doors using a shoulder charge, while the raging Barbarian bounces off it, and on the other hand expertise breaks bounded accuracy. It's all fixable, but I am only just now settling on things I am comfortable with and I have been DMing 5e now for almost a year.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Cool, so you agree that the fighter doesn't bring anything cool or meaningful to non-combat situations.

Not the post OP, but I'll answer.

The fighter brings a BETTER and more CONSISTENT chance of opening the door, there by greatly contributing to non-combat situations.

Now that can be cool for some folks, and I get that. I'm a fan of tinkering myself, though more in the system design space than the GM fiat in the middle of a session space.

But let's also acknowledge that this can be very uncool for some folks. And I get that too. I would imagine for some folk it's practically like buying an incomplete product, for $150 no less! Especially when you consider how vastly more "wide" the industry is these days. If you don't want to pick up the 5e Tinker Toy set and make your own game, you can probably find a perfectly good alternative that has you covered based on your specific needs.

And while we're acknowledging things, let's just clear the air that its no more right or no more wrong to like 5e because there's "assembly required" or to dislike it for that reason.

I just look at it this way, for my purposes I don't need statements telling me that I can 'do it my way'. I've been DMing for pretty close to 40 years now, I do it my way. The role, for me, for rules is to provide RULES, things I can just read and say "ah, OK, so when X happens the player makes a check, like so." Now, if I don't like the way something works, then I change it. After 40 years I don't even have to think about this, I just figure it out how I need it to be, but its EASIER if there's less figuring out. So when someone says "rulings not rules" its not, for me, a great sign. Its telling me, "yeah, you will have to figure this stuff out" vs "maybe the rule is fine, try it." And honestly, in most reasonably well-designed games the rules work OK. They definitely worked fine in 4e. They work OK in 5e too, most of the time, but they seem to have this fetish with writing incomplete or niche rules sometimes.

Remove ads