D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Eric V

Hero
I agree with whomever said it's too bland to hate.

Having said that, I hate how my PHB came apart for no reason. :)

I suppose I do hate the organization of the rules, especially in the PHB. I seem to remember 3e being better about things, especially spell organization.

I agree with whomever pointed out how "DM decides" seems to be the excuse for poorly written rules, especially stealth.

Combats can be kind of vanilla, IME so far.

Most other things other people have said in greater detail, and I agree with.

It's a good game, though.

1)I hate that there is no ogl. In a game, where the advice is, "we went light on rules, so you make make stuf up" not having a OGL is a cardinal sin. It's the viable expression of that "it's ok to make stuff up".

2)I have to second the failure that is cleric domains. 2nd edition specialty preists are and will probably always be my favorite expressions of clerics, as they actually felt connected to their gods thematicly. I will they had done more with cleric diversity. All clerics shouldn't of had medium armor for example. Make that a domain perk. Lots of domains might have gotten it, but it makes the bookish librarian priest a playable thing, without having to ignore optimal armor choices for rp reasons

3)I hate that there isn't enough subclasses. Each class needs lots of them. They are fun little tweaks and the more the merrier. Same with Backgrounds

Actually, thinking about it, 2 and 3 are resolved by simply giving us 1. Someone will create specialty priest replacement domains, and more subclasses, backgrounds, the moment we get an ogl. This is the first edition where the attitude of "3rd party sucks" seems to not be prevelant outside of AL. OGL covers many sins of a nice workable, but under developed system

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Now that some folks are mentioning clerics, I must chime in on that as well.

1. I truly do hate the lack of differentiation with cleric cantrips. Sacred flame does not fit even half the clerics in the PHB.

2. Not giving light clerics access to sunburst and sunbeam was pure garbage. I added those to the level 17 light cleric ability. A light cleric that can't call on the power of the sun is poor conceptually.

3. Need more domains.

S

Sunseeker

Some of these complaints seem to be more complaints with how D&D works, rather than with 5th in particular, since some of these things have been how D&D has done things for multiple editions.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Things I dislike about 5th:

-TWF rules mean rogues have no solid reason to not do it constantly, and have no mechanical use for daggers (except for throwing) instead of dual short swords, and it totally a trap option for strength characters, even if you fully invest in that style in every way. Especially so.

-Polearms are the new spiked chain and the undisputed, head and shoulders superior weapon choice if you are playing with feats and want a strength based melee character.

-Second Wind scales poorly and creates pacing tension and is hard to justify.

-Crits are tedious compared to 4th edition

-Enlarge is weaker than Bless and isn't worth casting since it costs a 2nd level spell slot.

Thing I truly hate and despise about 5th edition:

-No errata = means none of above issues, or any other mentioned in this thread or any other thread anywhere, will ever actually be fixed. Instead we will get system bloat. Thanks.

mlund

First Post
Hmmm.....wonder what would happen if you had "getting bloodied" and/or "getting KO'd" give you a level of exhaustion.....I like the taste of it....maybe make Barbarians immune to that...hmm....

I took up the idea of using exhaustion to reflect lingering infirmity from things like near-death experiences, torture, etc. We had a player go down from a bugbear critical hit and miss two death saves before the encounter ended. He got a level of exhaustion described as a painful back injury from the blow. They also rescued an NPC captive who was on his last legs. It'll take days for him to recover, and in the meantime he's hobbling around, using a stick to help him walk, etc.

Getting a couple of levels of exhaustion is a nice incentive for players to give their characters some down-time to recover from continual beatings. It's not a hard death-spiral that crops up in combat (I award the exhaustion levels once the encounter is over), but it is a burden you don't want to accumulate in some sort of cavalier fashion.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nah, classes are fine. I just have literally the opposite rule of thumb from you. If there is only one way to mechanically represent a character/character type, the system doesn't have enough options, and there is literally no such thing as too many options. I have no interest in an RPG that hands you a list of characters. I have to be able to build my character. Luckily, 5e allows that. The only problem is that there are whole character types where it comes close to just handing you a mostly finished character, if you want to play that character type, and that is the one thing I genuinely hate.

I'm fine with there being subclasses that are super simple, and let people like you play how you want, but there is no reason to not have subclasses that have regular choice points, so I can play how I want. The system can easily support both, and in some classes, it does so.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I'd love to see a 5e Baldur's Gate 3, or similar. Something with epic scale, memorable NPCs, gorgeous scenery, strong story-line, non-combat options, and no hint of MMO grinding.

So, alright: I hate that there isn't a classic 5e single-player epic-scale CRPG. Someone get onto that, please. :)

Off-topic, but though it's not 5E, check out Pillars of Eternity (released in March). It's pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Remove ads