D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Your druid needs to look into Spike Growth. It is fantastic^2 for damage prevention against melee mobs. You can cast it on the party and now no one can even approach you without taking 20 to 40 points of damage (depending on placement and terrain) in the process. Plus it creates difficult terrain, and doesn't hurt friendlies as long as they don't move. And it's cheap (2nd level).

"The ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point within range..."

I gotta call shenanigans on that one. that is to say, it certainly cannot be cast "on the party members", you could cast it on the ground around you, yes, you could just as easily cast web on your own party, or grease. Any of these tactics might be useful in some limited circumstances. To consider it as a linchpin tactic of the whole game that obviates a whole class? I'm a bit skeptical. I'd consider it fairly rare that the party has no need to move whatsoever.

Conjure Animals is another druid specialty. Wolves, giant owls, and flying or constrictor snakes are all fun and powerful in different ways.

Yeah, I don't doubt that druids have tricks. I'm just skeptical that they outweigh all the healing and other 'fixing up' magic that clerics have.

bert1000

First Post
That's all great, but it's your DMing skills coming into play, not how the game is written. In 4e, if I was designing a 5th-level adventure that included Vecna's Very Secret Diary in it (maybe it's in the same room as the MacGuffin) and I want the PC's to have a chance to open it, maybe I'll give picking the lock a hard DC...for 5th level characters. In 5e, that same diary would be a hard DC period. They've got a chance to open it, just as in 4e, but now that DC is a property of the item.

If later on in 4e, I've got a dungeon crawl and I want to have hard locks for the 10th-level party, I'll again use a hard DC. That'll make it harder than opening Vecna's Very Secret Diary. In 5e, that same dungeon crawl might just have locks that have a hard DC in them. Now they're as hard as opening Vecna's Very Secret Diary.

You're doing it again. See my previous post. You are once again using poor execution to dump on the mechanic.

You seem to understand that 4e DCs are relative, so why is it so hard to apply that design to setting your example DCs to support the fiction? It really doesn't take some wonder DM to do it.

This idea that if a thing is encountered it HAS to have a level appropriate DC is just nonsense. Level appropriate challenges have level appropriate DCs.

I gotta call shenanigans on that one. that is to say, it certainly cannot be cast "on the party members", you could cast it on the ground around you, yes, you could just as easily cast web on your own party, or grease. Any of these tactics might be useful in some limited circumstances. To consider it as a linchpin tactic of the whole game that obviates a whole class? I'm a bit skeptical.

Uh, what? Spike Growth is a linch pin that obviates a whole class?? I just said it was a great spell that your druid, who is struggling with crowd control, should look into against mobs. The druid is great but not just because of that one toy.

Web and Grease will hurt you even when you're stationary. Not at all the same level of party-friendliness.

pemerton

Legend
Someone more versed in 4e than I can chime in on what the benefits of number inflation are (large range of bonuses gets you).
Here's my theory: it means that, when the published Monster Manuals are used, PCs automatically graduate through the "story of D&D".

If you strip out the half-level bonus from PCs and NPCs/monsters, nothing changes mathematically when PCs confront level-equivalent challenges, but that progression/graduation is lost. (This is roughly what 5e does with bounded accuracy. Whether it's a good or a bad thing to lose the progression is obviously a matter of contention.)

I'm not positive I prefer relative DCs to fixed DCs anyway, but it annoys me that people keep misrepresenting how to play with relative DCs.
I like 4e. It uses "subjective" DCs. I like Burning Wheel. It uses "objective" DCs. They're different games, intended to generate different play experiences.

I think you can argue that its easier on the DM with fixed DCs
I'm not even sure I agree with this. For instance, if - as a GM - I can't remember to give the rusty locks in the dungeon lower DCs than Vecna's secret lock, how can I be relied upon to remember that Vecna's secret lock is Super Hard (DC 30) while the rusty locks are pretty easy (DC 8)?

pemerton

Legend
A +5 to hit a DC 20 and a +10 to hit a DC 25 can be a change in the fiction, but it's mechanically irrelevant.
To whom? Why? how was the bonus to hit acquired? If the bonus to hit is acquired by clever spell casting or ability stacking, and as a result a PC can hit not just the king's bodyguard but the king himself, I don't think it's irrelevant at all. Not in the fiction, and not mechanically - the increased bonus is a result of clever play.

That's all great, but it's your DMing skills coming into play, not how the game is written. In 4e, if I was designing a 5th-level adventure that included Vecna's Very Secret Diary in it (maybe it's in the same room as the MacGuffin) and I want the PC's to have a chance to open it, maybe I'll give picking the lock a hard DC...for 5th level characters. In 5e, that same diary would be a hard DC period. They've got a chance to open it, just as in 4e, but now that DC is a property of the item.

If later on in 4e, I've got a dungeon crawl and I want to have hard locks for the 10th-level party, I'll again use a hard DC. That'll make it harder than opening Vecna's Very Secret Diary.
If you pick Vecna's lock as a level 5 character, at a hard DC (because the story took you there) then it is hard to feel like when you're picking tomb locks as a level 10 character at a hard DC (because that's where the story is then) that you've actually gained much mastery.
As others have just said, this is bizarre.

If, in 5e, the GM describes a rusty lock and says "Hard, DC 20" and then describes a gnomish lock with adamantium tumblers and says "Simple, DC 5" that won't make sense either.

Why would a GM give one lock the same DCs as another lock when, in the fiction, they are not of the same difficulty? Why would anyone assume that the 5e GM, who can keep the relationship between fiction and DCs straight, would be unable to do so in 5e?

Even a DC that is high for a 5th level character will be really low for a character of 15th level in 4e. In 5e, these DC's are the same - hard is hard.
This doesn't make sense either. In 5e, as in 4e, a DC that a 5th level has trouble overcoming won't be hard for a 15th level PC to overcome. Both games have PCs whose bonuses get bigger with levels.

In 4e, these DC's vary with the level of the character - hard for a 1st level character isn't hard for an 11th level character.
Nor is it in 5e. In 5e an 11th level character has a better proficiency bonus, better access to buff spells, probably better magic items, better stats, better feats. Things get easier.

But it's up to the DM to determine what those DC's mean in the fiction, they don't have any inherent qualities.
No numbers have any inherent fictional qualities.

In 5e, the association between DCs and fiction is set, at least notionally, by the game designers. In 4e it's expected to emerge via play - that's the "rulings not rules" element of 4e. Both games take for granted the GM's ability to maintain a coherent fictional world. That's the role of the 4e GM in adjudicating the narrative, which I quoted upthread from the 4e PHB.

So there's no reason presume that an adamantium dwarven lock or a rusty tin lock have ANY particular DC - they have the DC that seems relevant to the DM at the time, whatever offers the players that narrow band of success.
If this is how you played 4e, no wonder you don't like it!

There's no reason inherent to the system, as published, to associate any particular DC with any particular lock. That's why the system can be used default, or to run Neverwinter, or to run Gamma World. That's why the same stats can represent steel weapons by default but bone weapons in Dark Sun.

But once the game is actually underway, the GM is absolutely expected to maintain fictional coherence. Thus, in Dark Sun, steel weapons have bonuses that they wouldn't have in default; in Neverwinter, upper heroic PCs are (in the fiction) more capable than default PCs of that tier, because Neverwinter uses monsters (and associated fiction) that compress the default 20-level experience into 10 levels.

Neverwinter mindflayers and aboleths are a signifier of what I'm talking about. If you save the world at level 7, when there's 23 levels left to go in the game, there's no mechanical accomplishment there, so it can make the fiction feel entirely empty of relevance.
Huh? Neverwinter is a 10-level campaign. That's the whole point (see the introduction to the book). If you want to run a default, 30-level campaign then you don't use the Neverwinter monster statblocks and associated fiction.

the DM could just declare that your characters are like unto gods and can kill demon kings on a roll of 4, and you aren't going to feel that accomplished killing demon kings because your ability to do so had nothing to do with anything you did as a player.
Is there some law of nature that prevents a 5e GM from starting his/her players at 20th level? Or that stops her from statting up a demon king as a CR 1 creature?

Which is to say I don't see the issue. If a 4e group wants to run 1st level PCs (they're mechanically pretty simple) but set the fiction as epic heroes vs demon kings, then go for it! I don't see that this is any sort of crime against nature or good taste.

The Rules Compendium even explicitly talks about this: "Some DC's are fixed, while others scale with level. A fixed DC represents a task that gets easier as an adventurer gains levels...In contrast, a DC that sales with level represents a task that remains at least a little challenging throughout an adventurer's career."
But it doesn't say that Vecna's lock is easy for 5th level PCs but super-hard for 20th level ones! Which is what you are positing.

5e just decided that its DC's are fixed by default
And this isn't even true of 5e. For condition-infliction, for instance, it uses scaling DCs (either opposed checks, for shoving, or proficiency bonuses to saves, for spells). And that is for the same reasons as 4e - namely, that making condition infliction mechanically easier as the game develops tends to make for bad gameplay.

Bounded accuracy means that you might go up against that dragon at level 11 or level 20 rather than level 17, if the story leads you there, and it will still be the same threat. It doesn't change into a lower-tier threat just because you're confronting it at level 5. That consistency is key for this feeling of achievement, because it means there's something to measure yourself against.
None of this makes any sense.

Some of it is just playing with numbers: I could double the range of 5e's levels - say at odd-numbered levels you get only HD, at even-numbered ones class features - and now I would have doubled the range of play at which that dragon is relevant - you can confront it at level 21 all the way to level 40! But that means nothing.

Some of it rests on bizarre assumptions that I would present the very same entity with arbitrarily changing stat blocks, without regard to the fiction of the game.

Some of it seems to rest on an unfamiliarity with encounter building in 4e. In 4e, a monster as statted is generally relevant for a range of around 6 to 8 levels. (For my 30th level PCs I wouldn't use a monster below about 27th level, nor above about 35th).

There's no doubt that numerical scaling in 5e is less steep than 4e, but that doesn't bare any connection to "objective" vs "subjective" DCs - as other posters have argued upthread, you could adapt 5e to "subjective" DCs but leave everything else intact; and plenty of 4e players run 4e using "objective" DCs (eg I believe [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] is closer to this than I am, from other conversations we've had about GMing techniques).

Well, since I've got it open - rules compendium, skill DC's: "the goal is to pick a DC that is an appropriate challenge for a particular scenario or encounter."

IE: "stay within these careful guidelines because the game kind of breaks if you don't."

or: "Don't do anything too weird, that would be inappropriate."
The two paraphrases are yours. They're not what the book says, nor does it imply it. But I am getting a better sense of why you were puzzled a few years ago when I posted about the sorts of encounter sequences my group can get through without a long rest! In our last session they defeated, at level 29, a level 38 encounter (and that is a a game without Expertise feats, with MM3 damage, and with defences and hit points read out of the book). For reasons I don't understand you seem to think this is contrary to the rules and spirit of 4e.

As for the RC advice itself: where does the 5e DMG or PDF advise GMs to pick a DC that is inappropriate ?

The_Gneech

Explorer
In short, those ARE NOT the same locks. Those ARE NOT the same orcs. If they were than you wouldn't be giving them the same relative level-appropriate DC.

Except they pretty much are; the whole scaling schema (particularly in regard to skill challenges) is based on this. Page 42 lays it all out for you. The difficulty in convincing the king to do whatever it is you're trying to convince him of isn't a fixed number until you know the party level and has nothing to do with the king's actual statblock, assuming he even has one. The damage a falling chandelier does is 1d10+4 if you're 5th level and 2d8+6 if you're 14th level.

5E also does this somewhat (particularly in regards to trap damage, but also with monster attacks and saving throws), but less so. Any game system with a levelling mechanic is going to need to come to grips with it one way or another.

-The Gneech :cool:

Uh, what? Spike Growth is a linch pin that obviates a whole class?? I just said it was a great spell that your druid, who is struggling with crowd control, should look into against mobs. The druid is great but not just because of that one toy.

Web and Grease will hurt you even when you're stationary. Not at all the same level of party-friendliness.

Well, you rattled it off with a large damage projection stating that it was tremendously good protection, like it would go a long ways towards obviating the need for clerical healing. My response is, yes, its a tactically useful spell, but its neither unique nor is the tactic so general that it can be deployed consistently. Its also a pretty nasty double-edged sword, potentially. Web doesn't necessarily do anything to you, though I do see that Restrained imposes disadvantage, so its not ENTIRELY a rosy picture. At least you won't take damage if you have to move for some reason.

My point was, there are plenty of other spells you can caste on your own party that will deter melee bad guys from approaching. No one spell casting class has a monopoly on them, so I don't think druid displaces cleric on that basis.

I don't know what you're talking about in terms of bards and healing. They have Cure Wounds and such, but without the WIS bonus inherent to Life domain you won't compete with the Cleric. I don't know what class feature you were referring to, it isn't anything I could find in the PHB.

Except they pretty much are; the whole scaling schema (particularly in regard to skill challenges) is based on this. Page 42 lays it all out for you. The difficulty in convincing the king to do whatever it is you're trying to convince him of isn't a fixed number until you know the party level and has nothing to do with the king's actual statblock, assuming he even has one. The damage a falling chandelier does is 1d10+4 if you're 5th level and 2d8+6 if you're 14th level.

5E also does this somewhat (particularly in regards to trap damage, but also with monster attacks and saving throws), but less so. Any game system with a levelling mechanic is going to need to come to grips with it one way or another.

-The Gneech :cool:

This is both true AND false. Its true in the sense that you would normally put a huge chandelier 100' above the floor for the 14th level PCs to drop, and a medium sized chandelier 20' above the floor for the 5th level PCs to drop. Naturally the 14th level chandelier does more damage. This is exactly the same as how a 14th level dragon is a huge fearsome monster and does about 22 Damage with its weakest single attack, while a 5th level wyrmling does maybe 12 damage with its weakest single attack.

This is also false, because a giant chandelier and a small chandelier, or a giant dragon and a baby dragon, are fictionally ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS. So in 4e, JUST LIKE IN 5E, the differences in stats are derived entirely from a difference in the fiction. There is no case where 4e ever advocated anything like changing the DC of a fictionally identical chandelier from level 5 damage to level 14 damage just because level 14 PCs were present. This notion is nowhere even hinted at in the rules.

As for the King thing. I see no evidence that this is an exception to that case. SCs are designed to be level appropriate fiction. You generate a bunch of fiction that seems like it would be appropriately challenging for the PCs at hand, and then the DCs naturally, by virtue of that selection of fiction, are going to be level appropriate DCs. If you don't like this coupling of DC to fiction you have nobody to blame but yourself, you should have changed the fiction! At level 5 you're convincing the relatively friendly King of your own country to do something that can be pretty easily shown to be in his self-interest. At level 14 you're trying to convince drow nobles that they should give you their prize magic item so you can defeat a mutual enemy.

So, the only legitimate grounds of comparison here are what sort of fiction evolves from each system. The 4e system encourages you to set up the fiction to be appropriate (in your own view) to the fiction of the PCs features, powers, etc such that they narratively make sense, and then the DCs will take care of themselves. You don't even really have to think about DCs, as long as your fiction logically progresses in a way that meets your expectations. Once in a while PCs may go back to some old haunt and encounter easier fiction and DCs. Once in a while they may go to some higher level place and encounter harder fiction and DCs, at which point you may be projecting what fiction should be appropriate for that harder level. I guess you could get that wrong and regret it later, but most GMs have some idea of what their world is like.

In 5e the game is driving you to generate DCs that you like, ones that are challenging to the PCs presumably and meet the DM's agenda. Then the fiction is presumably made to be appropriate to those DCs. There's no concept of more or less challenge explicit in that system relative to the PCs, but in the end the same process applies. The GM is going to build a fictive explanation for his hard DC or his easy DC. He's still unlikely to put a puny chandelier that does irrelevant levels of damage in a high level scenario, not if he has dropping it in mind as a tactic. Nor is he going to bother to play out the high level PCs convincing the king to do what's good for him. Instead they'll get to handle the drow nobles, seeing as they're the only guys around who can.

I'm not sold on the funky slow bonus growth that mandates a hard task is ALWAYS hard for everyone, regardless of what sort of use the DM wants to put the check to in his adventure, but I guess if 5e is really supposed to be a game of DM Force and DM Agenda run roughshod over players then that's fine!

Imaro

Legend
I'm curious if anyone, [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION], [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], or anyone else can point me to where in 4e it talks about the fiction relationship to scaling DC's... Or is this something, like the switching out of different monster variations, that has become a forum rule but is not explicitely called out in the books?

Remove ads