D&D 5E Why does no one play Goliath?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
2 in mine. My Varisia campaign has 5 PCs - 1 elf 1 goliath 1 dragonborn & 2 human. My Primeval Thule game has had a couple dozen PCs, the goliath is the only non-human in the 'regular cast'. Occasional & one-off PCs have included 2 elves.

I think people who are aware of goliaths play them a fair bit.

I agree. My wife's Goliath Ranger is one of the most interesting characters we've had at the table in a while, but most folks don't even remember the race is there when working on character concepts.

There was going to be an *awesome * goliath paladin in one of our pbp games but the player dropped out :(
I actually was also going to play a really fun Goliath Paladin, but then decided that Hwaranko "Hank" Stonebreaker, Waterdeep Watch Investigator and friend to the urchins and vagabonds of the city, is more fun with no special magic of any kind, and made my first full class Fighter in the entire time I've been playing DnD.

I'm still not sure I made the right choice. The Fighter class is so bland. It's a roleplaying challenge, if nothing else.

Still, a Goliath Battlemaster who was a heavy cavalry fighter in a relatively small but important war some time a decade or so ago in the Northern Sword Coast, and now is an Investigator for the Waterdeep City Watch, and a member in good standing of whatever the builder's guild is called, and feeds street kids and vagrants on his off days, is a fun recurring guest character in my wife's Dragon Heist campaign full of PCs who were street kids as...ya know...kids.

Vimak

Villager
I’m playing a Goliath in my campaign, Nosuke world, of fated ones to be. And I’m a fighter and leveling up to level 6 and looking for a feat that helps me deal more damage. I’m a duel welding battle master and I get to chose a feat just don’t know which would help me deal more damage

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I’m playing a Goliath in my campaign, Nosuke world, of fated ones to be. And I’m a fighter and leveling up to level 6 and looking for a feat that helps me deal more damage. I’m a duel welding battle master and I get to chose a feat just don’t know which would help me deal more damage
Hi! You might get some replies if you start your own post. Sorry I don't know anything about Goliath.

Good luck!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For a dual-wielding character, you’re honestly probably better off just increasing your Strength (or your Dexterity if you’re finesse-based). Since you can’t benefit from the two strongest melee damage dealing Feats, Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master, your next best bet for a Feat is Dual Wielder, which gives you +1 AC and lets you dual-wield with 1d8 weapons instead of 1d6 weapons. That’s an average increase of 1 damage per hit, whereas increasing your primary ability increases your damage by 1 per hit and increases your attack bonus by 1 so you hit more often. So it’s offensively the stronger option. Dual Wielder will be a strong choice once you max out your primary ability though.

If you have an odd number in your primary ability score, then you should take a feat that gives +1 to that ability. I would suggest the piercer, slasher, or crusher feat depending on what weapons you typically use.

I feel they should get a +2 to CON and change their Reaction damage-reducer into Short Rest. Would make them on par with half-orcs. I don't know why WotC was so timid with them.
It is a short rest power.

They also got a small upgrade with cold resistance.

I played a goliath level 7 valor bard in the recent dragon solo adventure. I won.

Before the cold resistance upgrade I considered a goliath just as a variant human with heavy armor mastery.

Not very unique.

For a dual-wielding character, you’re honestly probably better off just increasing your Strength (or your Dexterity if you’re finesse-based). Since you can’t benefit from the two strongest melee damage dealing Feats, Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master, your next best bet for a Feat is Dual Wielder, which gives you +1 AC and lets you dual-wield with 1d8 weapons instead of 1d6 weapons. That’s an average increase of 1 damage per hit, whereas increasing your primary ability increases your damage by 1 per hit and increases your attack bonus by 1 so you hit more often. So it’s offensively the stronger option. Dual Wielder will be a strong choice once you max out your primary ability though.

If you have an odd number in your primary ability score, then you should take a feat that gives +1 to that ability. I would suggest the piercer, slasher, or crusher feat depending on what weapons you typically use.
For a str based dual wielder, I would actually take the dual wielder feat.
It has more advantages than you might think:
While +1 dex increases AC, +1 Str dies not.
You can wield two battle axes which is very cool.
Offensively most important though:
You can draw two weapons without using a single action. That way you can start your combat by throwing javelins or hand axes and then draw your main weapons.

That way, you will get 2 or 3 extra attacks in with higher damage. That usually should more than offset the 1 in 20 chance of not hitting when you would have hit with 2 higher str...

And you are a more fearsome short ranged combatant.

Remove ads