• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why Good Players Should Not Play Champions

Corwin

Explorer
It's not just you. I too wish that people would remember that there is an important, and severe, difference between "I'd rather something else than that" and "that's useless" or between "I don't like it" and "It's awful."

It would greatly improve the chances that a conversation resulted in something productive if that difference weren't overlooked by so much hyperbolic statement of opinion as fact.
Yeah, I feel your frustration. Some players I know personally have a tendency of speaking to hyperbole. Nothing is ever, "not my preference", but instead has to be "the worst thing ever." That sort of thing. Or they will rattle off white-room numbers that fail to account for the nuances of table play, or missing variables that aren't even unlikely. I've come to learn to just nod and move the conversation along rather than get into a protracted debate over it.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yeah, I feel your frustration. Some players I know personally have a tendency of speaking to hyperbole. Nothing is ever, "not my preference", but instead has to be "the worst thing ever." That sort of thing. Or they will rattle off white-room numbers that fail to account for the nuances of table play, or missing variables that aren't even unlikely. I've come to learn to just nod and move the conversation along rather than get into a protracted debate over it.
I had a conversation last night while driving home with my wife. It was about sloppy joe's, and it primarily consisted of her claiming to hate sloppy joe's, and me showing her that she doesn't actually hate sloppy joe's by explaining that she could eat it as an open-faced sandwich, just the mix on top of the open buns and eat it with a fork and knife, because what she actually hates is the contents falling out of a sandwich while she is trying to eat it.

Which is to say, yeah, I deal with hyberbolic statements a lot - and all of my ability to tolerate them goes to the ones my wife makes, because I love her, so I am already at or past my threshold of tolerance when I see hyperbole in my alone time.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm not a good player. My current DM is having trouble dealing with my bladesinger so I'm switching to a fighter. A champion fighter. I'm just so bad at this game :(

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not a good player. My current DM is having trouble dealing with my bladesinger so I'm switching to a fighter. A champion fighter. I'm just so bad at this game :(

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Just remember, you literally cannot do anything in the game, anything other than tell the DM you're attacking. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just remember, you literally cannot do anything in the game, anything other than tell the DM you're attacking. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.

Got it sorted. At the beginning of every turn I shall say "Maybe I'm not seeing all the variables, but I this axe so, I hit him with it."

Sacrosanct

Legend
Got it sorted. At the beginning of every turn I shall say "Maybe I'm not seeing all the variables, but I this axe so, I hit him with it."

Sure. As long as you're not expecting to actually do anything with said ax. You're incompetent as a Champion, remember?

Corwin

Explorer
I had a conversation last night while driving home with my wife. It was about sloppy joe's, and it primarily consisted of her claiming to hate sloppy joe's, and me showing her that she doesn't actually hate sloppy joe's by explaining that she could eat it as an open-faced sandwich, just the mix on top of the open buns and eat it with a fork and knife, because what she actually hates is the contents falling out of a sandwich while she is trying to eat it.
We are either married to the same woman, or you and I are actually the same person. Either way, I have serious concerns.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Sure. As long as you're not expecting to actually do anything with said ax. You're incompetent as a Champion, remember?

You're right. I'll probably be more like "What do I guys, all I have is this useless axe! Why didn't I choose a different subclass so that I could actually use it!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads