• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Half-Elves???

The Allamistako

First Post
A new player asked me recently, why someone would want to play a half-elf, unless he REALLY wanted to do it for the ROLE-Playing, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of any reason. What do you guys think?

-Alla

Grishnak

First Post
What you get with the half elf isn't enough really to play one as the human gets the feat etc you can always select magic items if the char is high enough to get around the vision and the sleep. I also think that elves are a bit duff and the constituition is a heavy penalty for the character as hp's are so important with damage dealt so high! I also think that the elves less sleep should enable them to regain spells in 4 hours instead of the 8 as it would be a good compensation for the con loss.

Anyway that's my views and I bet I'll be told I'm talking C**P

The Allamistako

First Post
I agree with Grishi on that count - it's just not worth it, you get the worst of both worlds. If you don't wat to be an elf, be a human, and don't bother with the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to underpowered half-elf.

*Pout* And Wizards ain't gonna fix them, either...

Fenes 2

First Post
I usually play half-elves for the roleplaying aspects. Having a slightly longer lifespan also appealed to me. Now with 3.5 E half-elves apparently gain a +2 bonus to diplomacy and gather information, making them good for "Social characters". Favored class: Any may or may not be something beneficial as well.

Nasma

First Post
I could never figure out why the half elf was even included as a race, there are no half dwarves or half gnomes in the PHB, so why half elves?

isoChron

First Post
Pffff, half-elves....
Give them +1 skillpoints (like humans) and take the immunity to sleep spells. I never understood whey they would be immun to it. THEY (the half-elves) need to sleep (8hours). I think elves are immune because they don't (can't) sleep.
But anyway ... this would be to simple so Wizards won't do it :).

BYE

Tsyr

Explorer
Nasma said:
I could never figure out why the half elf was even included as a race, there are no half dwarves or half gnomes in the PHB, so why half elves?

That's easy...

Everyone wanted to know what would happen if their human adventurer got a little too frisky with that elven princess they rescued.

Not so many people were eager to get frisky with a gnome or bearded dwarf woman...

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Tsyr said:

That's easy...

Everyone wanted to know what would happen if their human adventurer got a little too frisky with that elven princess they rescued.

Not so many people were eager to get frisky with a gnome or bearded dwarf woman...

Maybe not the Gnome or the Dwarf, but everyone seems to want to get it on with Halflings. Why don't we have any threequarterlings?

Remove ads