• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Half-Elves???

yennico

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:

The Midnight Campaign Setting has Elflings which are Halfling/Elves.

That said, about 90% of the halfling population has been sold into slavery; a great many of which serve as prostitutes.

Reason #2177 to love Midnight!

*lol*

It also has Dworgs (Dwarf/Orcs)!
Dworg = Dwarf cross-breed with a worg *lol*

Just my 2 cents
yennico

Last edited:

ejja_1

First Post
Half and half

Nasma said:
I could never figure out why the half elf was even included as a race, there are no half dwarves or half gnomes in the PHB, so why half elves?

What I want to know is what the hell is a halfling half of?
And why can't you choose to be full Ling?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Re: Re: Half and half

Enkhidu said:

Wouldn't that just be a "ling?"

You can't play Lings. Their broken. They get a +10 racial bonus to damage when fighting with shafts and therefore, to lower the number of munchkins in D&D, Lings where left out.

Hope that helps. ;)

Tolkien's half-elves chose whether they got human or elven abilities. (Well, sort of. Elros was basically a half-elf, whereas his brother Elrond was basically an elf.)

Sejs

First Post
A new player asked me recently, why someone would want to play a half-elf, unless he REALLY wanted to do it for the ROLE-Playing, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of any reason. What do you guys think?

Because when playing a sneaky type, not being able to see in the dark, sucks. It sucks -bad-

In the game I'm in, we give half elves the +1 skill point / level thing that humans get, which seemed to balance them out nicely. I tried two rogues in two seperate short-shot adventured: One human w/ Fast Learner (house ruled feat: add'l +1 skill point per level, can only be taken during character creation), the other a half elf w/ Fast Learner.

The half elf was much much more enjoyable. No more "Me: I scout ahead" .. "DM: you can't see, it's dark." "Me: ... damnit!"

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I like half-elves for the roleplay element and because of what they are. Part of two worlds but not fully part of either. I've had some fun characters playing off of that.

Not everything in D&D needs to be based on min/maxing.

Number47

First Post
With 3.5, they make good bards, pretty good for cleric and paladin. You have to have elf blood to be an arcane archer, so if you don't want those elf penalties...

They are also very good multi-classers. If you want a non-standard multiclass, your only choice is half-elf or human. In some aspects, the half-elf can be comparable to a human (however, it never excels).

Overall, a weaker race, but not necessarily any weaker for one individual.

Vivictus

First Post
The bonuses a half elf get are easily worth the price of a feat and a couple extra skill points. I think they are balanced perfectly fine with a human. Not to mention, in games that have a lot of multiclassing, I think the ability to not worry as much about cross class penalties plays a big part. But, I do have to agree that they seem underpowered compared to the other races, and unless you really want the abilities a half elf has, then the human is obviously the better choice. Half elf would be a good human alternative if you wanted to go for something like Arcane Archer though without playing a full elf. Who knows. I think they are balanced with humans fr what they get, but generally not as attractive due to less versatility in character creation.

Remove ads