• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why I love the sorcerer class!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why I love the sorcerer class!

I love the flavor. You don't just use magic through study or the Gods or a pact etc, instead the magic resides within you. The class is open enough for you to pick the source and your relationship with it or whether you even know the source. There's tons of plot hooks here for the DM and ultimately discovering your origin and mastering your power and reacting to all that.

But more importantly, the mechanics.

What works mechanically? Flexible Casting and Metamagic and the ability to trade a spell out at level up, constitution saves. These 2 abilities are the heart and soul of the sorcerer and they work very well for that in both mechanics and flavor!

Flexible casting let's you exchange lower level spells for higher ones.
At level 3 and 4 this means you can get 2 extra level 2 spells per day if desired
At level 5 and 6 you can get 3 extra level 3 spells per day

Having these kinds of options makes Flexible Casting very strong!

Metamagic feels very restricted with only 2 known metamagics for the first 10 levels. However, it's arguably the more high powered option. Basically metamagic gives a sorcerer the ability to be the best.

Empowered Spell. This is a great average damage increase and is very cheap. This alone makes you the king of damage spells. Add on the dragon sorcerer subclass to further enhance your damage and you are looking at one impressive blaster.

Consider this with Shatter, Fireball etc

Heightened Spell. This metamagic is great with the right spells. This is not a combat spell enhancer as most combat spells allow multiple saves. It kind of feels lack luster in that regard. More importantly there are a slew of single save spells that are generally used out of combat (but with this metamagic option may can even find some use in combat).

Consider this with, charm person, suggestion, detect thoughts, banishment, polymorph etc. Suggestion may be my favorite spell to be able to give disadvantage on the save for. You can get by with a lot with a proper suggestion!

Quickened Spell. Semi expensive but really helps the damage output in those most important early turns of combat! Or if you need to do some other action and want to cast. Good but not great IMO (unless you multiclassed for eldritch blast and invocation).

Twinned Spell. Makes you the best buff caster in the game. What's better than haste on 1 fighter? Haste on 2! Also it gives you a way to increase the number of targets on a spell like enhance ability that can't normally have it's targets increased.

In other words, what i'm trying to say is that a sorcerer can basically be the best AOE Blaster, the best "enchanter" style caster, or the best ally buffer in the game! You can actually be 2 of these 3 things for most of the game.

The only downside to a sorcerer is that all your abilities are fueled by sorcery points and you will definitely not feel like you have enough.

That said, while the wizard is the king of versatility with more spells and ritual casting and a spell recharge mechanic that doesn't interfere with his other abilites. The sorcerer is the king in about 3 fairly specific areas. And my does he really shine when using abilities in those areas!

Xeviat

Hero
I like the flavor of sorcerers too. I think they could use a little more something: domain spells and some class abilities other than metamagic would be my pick. Since metamagic uses the same sorcery points as their spell slot recovery, and since their spell slot recovery is about as good as a wizard's arcane recovery, I don't consider them to be full abilities. There's room for some ribbons there.

And bloodline spells. They should really have bloodline spells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

I like the flavor of sorcerers too. I think they could use a little more something: domain spells and some class abilities other than metamagic would be my pick. Since metamagic uses the same sorcery points as their spell slot recovery, and since their spell slot recovery is about as good as a wizard's arcane recovery, I don't consider them to be full abilities. There's room for some ribbons there.

And bloodline spells. They should really have bloodline spells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think they need more spells. If so it should be a very limited number like 2-3 at most. Personally I would rather see a subclass specific metamagic they always got. That would be cool. Either one from the list or a specific one made for the subclass. I also think some more sorcery points could help. Possibly instead of more sorcery points giving them free metamagics for a minute x times per day. Sometimes the sorcerer should just get in the zone!

I could see tweaking the sorcerer class in a few places, but overall I still think it's great. It's not nearly as weak as some people would have us believe!

FrogReaver

MOre or less best buffer in game with twinned hastes/Greater invisability. Pity they can't twin foresight.

I think their buffing ability is the most well known. I don't think many people realize just how much Empowered Spell helps with their AOE damage. It's pretty impressive!

Also their ability to charm and suggest and things like that with heightened spell is unreal. When you can start most social interactions with a high charisma and most charisma skills and then if that fails turn to suggestion with disadvantage on the saving throw to "change their mind", there's not many social interactions you won't excel at!

Zardnaar

Legend
I think their buffing ability is the most well known. I don't think many people realize just how much Empowered Spell helps with their AOE damage. It's pretty impressive!

Also their ability to charm and suggest and things like that with heightened spell is unreal. When you can start most social interactions with a high charisma and most charisma skills and then if that fails turn to suggestion with disadvantage on the saving throw to "change their mind", there's not many social interactions you won't excel at!

Well you are preaching to the converted here. Its why its rare see wizards in our group as people pick Sorcerers, Warlocks, Bards over wizards.

gyor

Legend
Favoured Soul also has Empowered Healing, while is basically the healing version of Empower Spell metamagic.

Also Extend Spell becomes more valuable when you have access to the Cleric Spell list. Conjure Celestial with extend spell is really cool, 2 hours with a Couatl serving you, same with Spirit Guardians but 20 minutes, makes the Favoured Soul one of the best conjurers in the game. Seriously extend spell is like getting to cast the same spell twice in a row.

Croesus

Adventurer
Flexible casting let's you exchange lower level spells for higher ones.
At level 3 and 4 this means you can get 2 extra level 2 spells per day if desired
At level 5 and 6 you can get 3 extra level 3 spells per day

Um, can you show your math here, because I just can't see it.

4th level sorcerer has 4 sorcery points. It costs 2 points to add a 1st level slot, 3 points to add a 2nd level slot. No way a 3rd/4th level sorcerer can add 2 extra 2nd level spell slots per day, at least not without sacrificing his 1st level slots.

6th level sorcerer has 6 sorcery points. It costs 5 points to add a single 3rd level slot. The only way to get 3 extra 3rd level slots is to sacrifice all but one of his lower level slots, and burn all his sorcery points.

So the only way to get these extra slots is to sacrifice multiple lower level slots. If so, that needs to be stated. These aren't "extra" slots, you are trading a lot of lower level slots to gain one or two higher level ones. Not a good trade in most cases, IMO.

FrogReaver

Um, can you show your math here, because I just can't see it.

4th level sorcerer has 4 sorcery points. It costs 2 points to add a 1st level slot, 3 points to add a 2nd level slot. No way a 3rd/4th level sorcerer can add 2 extra 2nd level spell slots per day, at least not without sacrificing his 1st level slots.

6th level sorcerer has 6 sorcery points. It costs 5 points to add a single 3rd level slot. The only way to get 3 extra 3rd level slots is to sacrifice all but one of his lower level slots, and burn all his sorcery points.

So the only way to get these extra slots is to sacrifice multiple lower level slots. If so, that needs to be stated. These aren't "extra" slots, you are trading a lot of lower level slots to gain one or two higher level ones. Not a good trade in most cases, IMO.

Im sooo sorry I didn't spend 4 paragraphs to say what you said and instead said the same thing in 3-4 sentences in my opening post. I guess my word count just wasn't high enough for it to register...

Croesus

Adventurer
Im sooo sorry I didn't spend 4 paragraphs to say what you said and instead said the same thing in 3-4 sentences in my opening post. I guess my word count just wasn't high enough for it to register...

Seriously? You're getting snarky because I pointed out that you only told half the story? Sounds like a huckster who says "My product will make you a million dollars. Oh, did I forget to mention that it costs you two million?"

If you want your posts to be taken seriously, you need to make an honest case, not just the sound bite.

Remove ads