D&D 5E Why I'm Buying the Starter Set

Already pre-ordered. Though I doubt they did it, it'd be pretty slick if they provided race options (human, elf, dwarf, halfling) for each pre-generated core class (fighter, mage, cleric, rogue). Not highly likely with the 5 pre-gens, but one can hope! The mechanical alterations for each is fairly minimal, so it could potentially work. Well, I'm sure something similar will pop up online after release.

exile

First Post
The more I hear about the starter set, the less convinced I am that it is what I had hoped it would be. That said, I'll buy it if only to flip through it and look at the art.

MrWildman

Explorer
Well, July 15th just happens to be my birthday (turning 48, where does the time go?), so I'm hoping my friends will pick up on my increasingly obvious hints about what would be a good present.

And if it turns out nobody gets it for me, I figure I'll just head over to my FLGS and pick it up myself. I love the idea of celebrating my birthday by DMing the new edition of D&D for my friends, some of whom have never gamed before...

Bwa-ha-ha-haa!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Already pre-ordered. Though I doubt they did it, it'd be pretty slick if they provided race options (human, elf, dwarf, halfling) for each pre-generated core class (fighter, mage, cleric, rogue). Not highly likely with the 5 pre-gens, but one can hope! The mechanical alterations for each is fairly minimal, so it could potentially work. Well, I'm sure something similar will pop up online after release.

It's quite likely that the pregens are as follows:
Dwarf Cleric
Human Ranger
Halfling Rogue
Northlands (Human) Fighter
Elf Wizard

Why? They're the minis in the Starter Set from WizKids. :)

Cheers!

Li Shenron

Legend
Already pre-ordered. Though I doubt they did it, it'd be pretty slick if they provided race options (human, elf, dwarf, halfling) for each pre-generated core class (fighter, mage, cleric, rogue).

They won't, but it would have been really easy to do so. Without much fluff text, the four races (fixed subrace) could take up 1 page.

manuzed78

First Post
Except the fact that the starter set is coming on july, before the first Core,
is there another reason to buy it ?

I mean, if you have the PhB, what brings the starter set?
I m afraid to buy it for just a month and just leave it in my library for ever.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I don't normally buy these sorts of things at all, but seems this is mainly directed to the DM I think I will this time. Even just for the adventure and to see how things work. $20 isn't too bad for a decent adventure and an early look at PCs etc.

I am actually glad it doesn't have too much character gen stuff that will be obsolete as soon as PHB is out.

Remove ads