Why I'm not boycotting the movie, video games, comic books or novels over the OGL scandal, just D&DB & hardcovers.

I cannot imagine a mindset, that doesnt see a "D&D" brand name movie, have blockbuster numbers, as anything but a huge win for Wizbro.

Like, I cannot fathom, the mental gymnastics involved.

Enjoy the movie, I wont pay to see it.

I'm fine with that and I understand it. I wish to clarify it's not win for WotC in reguards to ditching the OGL, not in terms of DDCU creation. This scandal has over 2 months to resolve itself before the movie comes out btw.

Scribe

Legend
I'm fine with that and I understand it. I wish to clarify it's not win for WotC in reguards to ditching the OGL, not in terms of DDCU creation. This scandal has over 2 months to resolve itself before the movie comes out btw.

The movie could come out in 5 years, I still wont pay for it. Why would I reward a company which is so fundamentally dishonest?

I mean you do you, but there's zero chance I pay to see the movie, and I hope it and everything Wizard's touches, becomes ashes.

Why give Wizbro any win, at all?

Remathilis

Legend
The movie could come out in 5 years, I still wont pay for it. Why would I reward a company which is so fundamentally dishonest?

I mean you do you, but there's zero chance I pay to see the movie, and I hope it and everything Wizard's touches, becomes ashes.

At the risk of whataboutism, if I refused to deal with every company that I felt was somehow dishonest or abusive, I'd have scant choices in my life. Disney, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Walmart, Blizzard. They are all scummy and corrupt. And Hasbro was long before this. And yet, still watch Andor, Rings of Power, own a Google Pixel and a Microsoft Windows laptop and play WoW. Even Paizo was doing mea culpas over a year ago about how they were treating employees. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

You are welcome to boycott whatever company that you choose, and what Hasbro tried to pull what crud. But I don't think it was any worse than what any other large company does. In fact, compared to the deals Disney makes to film and release movies in China, what Amazon and Walmart does to its workers, or the data-harvesting Google and Microsoft engage in, this seems almost quaint.

Again, you do what you gotta to sleep at night...

Because I'm not interested in revenge.

Scribe

Legend
At the risk of whataboutism, if I refused to deal with every company that I felt was somehow dishonest or abusive, I'd have scant choices in my life. Disney, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Walmart, Blizzard. They are all scummy and corrupt. And Hasbro was long before this. And yet, still watch Andor, Rings of Power, own a Google Pixel and a Microsoft Windows laptop and play WoW. Even Paizo was doing mea culpas over a year ago about how they were treating employees. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

You are welcome to boycott whatever company that you choose, and what Hasbro tried to pull what crud. But I don't think it was any worse than what any other large company does. In fact, compared to the deals Disney makes to film and release movies in China, what Amazon and Walmart does to its workers, or the data-harvesting Google and Microsoft engage in, this seems almost quaint.

This was covered previously, yes there are companies with which many of us 'must' deal with at some capacity.

Its not so much whataboutism, as you are invoking the "So I see you live in society." meme. Its...fine but no thanks.

Wizbro isnt keeping me up, boycotting them wont keep me up, and slagging on them for the next 20 years wont keep me up.

Hex08

Hero
I won't be seeing D&D in the theatre's but not because of anything WotC did, and I do think they deserve the backlash they got. I won't be seeing it in the theatre because it seems like there is always one jerk in the theater who keeps looking at his cellphone with the brightness turned all the way up or won't stop talking or is playing with their child who way too young to be in the movie.

The last half dozen or so movies I went to were such a bad experience that I have all but sworn off the theater.

Hex08

Hero

In life everyone picks their battles. You can't fight against every injustice or win every argument, so you fight back against the ones that matter to you. It's not, nor should it be, an all-or-nothing proposition.

Remove ads