D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Arguably adding a clause so maneuvers like Commanders Strike you can do it on the allies turn wouldnt have to be some separate mechanic action type.
Right. If you can take attacks off turn, as if part of the attack action, then you can use manuevers off turn. Elegant and effective.

Might need a special clause here and there for some subclasses that do stuff as an action, like the EK, but otherwise it should work great.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Note that Straining should be bonus action really or actually something you can do alongside the action you are straining to do.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes it would require that as a special clause. Perhaps doubling as a way to get fighters more reactions sort of if they are attacks
Idk, I think giving extra Reactions is more outside the 5e design paradigm. I’d go the other way, and give a single extra Reaction that cannot be used to make an attack, and make sure the fighter has a couple good reaction options that aren’t attacks, like defensive stuff, ally buffs, movement, etc.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Idk, I think giving extra Reactions is more outside the 5e design paradigm. I’d go the other way, and give a single extra Reaction that cannot be used to make an attack, and make sure the fighter has a couple good reaction options that aren’t attacks, like defensive stuff, ally buffs, movement, etc.
I think its kind of silly that someone can attack move attack move attack move and only react to someone running past once....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The fighter already does more than anyone else in a round.
And basically that unable to react really nerfs your ability to act as a defender which is why if you look at the sub class cavalier they basically relaxed it - I think that is a feature that could be reabsorbed into the fighter just as some of those PDK abilities might be absorbable

Tony Vargas

Legend
Idk, I think giving extra Reactions is more outside the 5e design paradigm.
May seem like a distinction without a difference, but I'd phrase it as taking a certain reaction, like an AoO, "without expending your reaction" once/extra attack you're entitled to - use your reaction for something else, it's gone, and you can't take anymore AoOs, even if you "have some left."
Would tend to keep the lid on things.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
May seem like a distinction without a difference, but I'd phrase it as taking a certain reaction, like an AoO, "without expending your reaction" once/extra attack you're entitled to - use your reaction for something else, it's gone, and you can't take anymore AoOs, even if you "have some left."
Would tend to keep the lid on things.
verbose one...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases