D&D 5E Why use initiative?

Initiative is definitely a pro/con game. Run it as @Scruffy nerf herder suggests, and you add time to combat. Not a big deal at really low levels, but definitely a larger deal at higher levels if you want the game to run at a specific pace. Same is true for initiative rolls for each character and NPC and opponent versus group initiatives. And same is true for initiative each round versus one initiative per combat.

But the OP's suggestion is a neat take on initiative. And while for most, adding another rule to remember is no big deal, I can see it affecting some players negatively.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you want to actually lay out what it's simulating that RAW isn't I'm all ears. But repeatedly asserting that it does so isn't going to get us anywhere. If you don't want to actually discuss your system then feel free not to. If you don't want to provide details about it then feel free not to. Just please don't keep repeatedly saying 'you are wrong about it' without actually being willing to discuss and provide additional information about it. I only comment on the details of your system that you have currently provided to us.
Frankly, at this point, no I really don't. I'm tired of this exchange. The point to the OP still stands without further justification or details needed. If you fail to see that, such is life.

But since you asked, a final answer to your question:
does the orc and fighter meet somewhere in the middle?
Yes.

Remove ads