• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Worldbuilding is Bad

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I can't say that I agree with this particular assertion, but that's just because this fails in common practice of speech where terms are constantly redefined, sometimes broadened and othertimes specified, for the sake of engaging in more meaningful discourse with greater clarity. In this case, the terms "worldbuilding" and "setting building" are assigned more particular sets of meaning within our parole for the sake of distinguishing a lot of differences of activity, function, emphasis, etc. in the broader discourse of "fictive space construction," for lack of a better term. I personally find the creation of the term "setting building" and its associated distinctions useful, because at the very least it attempts to further define the term "worldbuilding" rather than have it continually serve as a bafflingly ambiguous term that led to the aformentioned disagreements.

If he provides you his definition of the term(s) or the meaning that he assigns to the term(s), then it seems that you would be intentionally choosing to misunderstand him for the sake of perpetuating the confusion or sidestepping his argument without good faith.
1) you disagreed to agree with me? Calling out setting building as distinct from the more general worldbuilding is exactly what I'm taking about that needs to happen. Redefining worldbuilding to mean the more specific setting building is what I'm calling it as confusing.

2) On your last point, in a conversation, especially in real time worry few participants, sure, that can happen and often does. But in a weeks (years in this case) long ongoing discussion with tens and tens of participants, recalling exactly which poster had which idiosyncratic definition of which term is not something you should expect. The best of intentions will get overcome by multiple unique definitions of the same word in that case.

Also, this works both ways -- why should the other side not be accommodating of the more general use of the word? I find it appropriate to place the burden on the ones that want to change the general use rather than expect those using the general case to make exceptions for the ones that want their own special definitions.

This is why I find it best to come up with a specific and hopefully distinctive phrase or word to describe the exact thing you want to discuss. And then repeat that definition often so that you are not misunderstood. The burden to make yourself understood clearly is not on others.

darkbard

Legend
If he provides you his definition of the term(s) or the meaning that he assigns to the term(s), then it seems that you would be intentionally choosing to misunderstand him for the sake of perpetuating the confusion or sidestepping his argument without good faith.

Couldn't agree with this more. Granted, this conversation spans many threads, but [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], for example, clearly defines his terms in the OP of (and many, many times throughout) the "what is *worldbuilding* for?" thread, yet what you describe is characteristic of how [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] seem to "choos[e] to misunderstand him for the sake of perpetuating the confusion or sidestepping his argument without good faith." Particularly, when you combine this with what Maxperson says upthread* about delibertately misrepresenting arguments!

*I think it's in this thread, but it's becoming increasingly more difficult to keep track of who posted what where....

Aldarc

Legend
1) you disagreed to agree with me? Calling out setting building as distinct from the more general worldbuilding is exactly what I'm taking about that needs to happen. Redefining worldbuilding to mean the more specific setting building is what I'm calling it as confusing.
This thread demonstrates that the term "worldbuilding" is seemingly too broad for useful jargon when debating its merits and flaws. Because a number of people, yourself included, seem to have a different sense for the term "worldbuilding" that lies outside of its contextual sense in the OP. For some in this thread the term is more analogous to "any and everything that the GM does to establish the in-game fiction," such that the "general use" of the term "Worldbuilding" is of no practical use at all. But this false equivocation of meaning seems to stem from a desire from worldbuilding enthusiasts to religiously defend the culture of "worldbuilding" (and its excesses) by making it indistinguishable from the activities of setting building or GMing.

I don't think that the people in general agreement with the sentiment in the OP are desiring to "[redefine] worldbuilding to meant the more specific setting building," but, rather, that they are "[distinguishing] worldbuilding from the more specific setting building" precisely because there are elements in cultural practice of "worldbuilding" that they find a hinderance to "setting building."

2) On your last point, in a conversation, especially in real time worry few participants, sure, that can happen and often does. But in a weeks (years in this case) long ongoing discussion with tens and tens of participants, recalling exactly which poster had which idiosyncratic definition of which term is not something you should expect. The best of intentions will get overcome by multiple unique definitions of the same word in that case.
Forgetting their sense of the term is fine. When that happens, they may remind you or you may ask. Here, however, you are berating them about using terminology that they are defining and rationalizing.

Also, this works both ways -- why should the other side not be accommodating of the more general use of the word? I find it appropriate to place the burden on the ones that want to change the general use rather than expect those using the general case to make exceptions for the ones that want their own special definitions.

This is why I find it best to come up with a specific and hopefully distinctive phrase or word to describe the exact thing you want to discuss. And then repeat that definition often so that you are not misunderstood. The burden to make yourself understood clearly is not on others.
The preference you describe is what [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] did. And when [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] came up with his "specific and hopefully distinctive phrase or word" to discuss the more specific concept of "setting building," you set about to equate this as being identical with "worldbuilding." So what then does the creation, clarity, and repetition of terms help if there is no intent to honor them?

happyhermit

Adventurer
No, not overly dramatic. You folks won this fight years ago. The fact that authors like George R. R. Martin and Tolkien are heralded as the masters of the genre. The fact that umpteen game supplements get banged out every year chock a block with world building details. The fact that you actually, at one time, HAD a six page article on the WotC site detailing the SHAPE OF WINDOWS in Forgotten Realms and people ate it up.

Yeah, I know I'm whistling in the dark here. I lost this fight years ago. Now, it's nothing but me bitching about it futilely like the impotent jerk that I am. :(

I think I understand where you are coming from in some respects. I generally find discussion of planar cosmology and such to be tedious. Hearing other people discuss the details and differences between World Axis and Great Wheel, different versions of the Great Wheel , even in some cases how one version or another "ruined" a system or setting for them is strange. The idea that this is so important to them, and that they apparently get so much enjoyment out of it is kinda hard for me to comprehend. Where we seem to diverge is that because I don't care much about these things, I just... don't care. I don't hate this stuff, or think it's bad, it just doensn't interest me. I generally just ignore this stuff in the books, skimming at most and I don't buy stuff based on it unless there is enough stuff I like to justify the purchase. I think the only way I could really be annoyed or pushed to hate this kinda thing is if it truly and substantially got in the way of me running the games I want to run, luckily that usually isn't all too easy.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Couldn't agree with this more. Granted, this conversation spans many threads, but [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], for example, clearly defines his terms in the OP of (and many, many times throughout) the "what is *worldbuilding* for?" thread, yet what you describe is characteristic of how [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] seem to "choos[e] to misunderstand him for the sake of perpetuating the confusion or sidestepping his argument without good faith." Particularly, when you combine this with what Maxperson says upthread* about delibertately misrepresenting arguments!

*I think it's in this thread, but it's becoming increasingly more difficult to keep track of who posted what where....
No, this is false. In the OP ou'd the inner worldbuilding thread, pemerton suggests that building the dungeon maze is worldbuilding. He, pages later, says that what he means by worldbuilding are those things the GM preps needle the game that are used by reference to cause aplayer action declaration to result in failure. It took pages to get that definition. And, it's not a definition anyone in this thread side from pemerton has used.

I'll take my lumps -- I have been argumentative with pemerton -- but only those that are actually based on what I've done.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, I saw first hand how much new ideas could get past the gate keepers with 4e, thanks.

Good grief, 5e hasn't had an original module yet. Three years of rehashes of existing modules. Yeah, new ideas are what gamers want. Sure.
Limiting it to D&D - the first RPG, the 500lb australopithecus robustus, the biggest coelacanth in the small pond - sure, change, even (or especially) change arguably for the better, is anathema, it has to be very measured, very carefully vetted. But in the broader hobby, for those aware of it, innovation has been going on from the earliest days. Sometimes, maybe, it's the same innovation popping up again and again because no one saw it the first n times....

Yuppers, that last one is pretty much my exact take. World building is when you go beyond the needs of the story. And very, very much of it is for its own sake.
I'm OK with worldbuilding for it's own sake, at least when I'm doing it, because it's an engaging exercise. It might sit there, informing my idea of why the setting & situations the PC are dealing with are the way they are, while making no direct difference to them, and the players may never be aware of it, but, left at that, it was fun for me, and shouldn't have, in any way, detracted from their experience.

Now, when I let it turn into setting tourism, and inflicted the irrelevant-to-the-campaign, for-its-own-sake worldbuilding elements on the players, yeah, it wasn't so fun, but I learned from that long-ago mistake...
...Ok, series of mistakes, but I did learn.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This thread demonstrates that the term "worldbuilding" is seemingly too broad for useful jargon when debating its merits and flaws. Because a number of people, yourself included, seem to have a different sense for the term "worldbuilding" that lies outside of its contextual sense in the OP. For some in this thread the term is more analogous to "any and everything that the GM does to establish the in-game fiction," such that the "general use" of the term "Worldbuilding" is of no practical use at all. But this false equivocation of meaning seems to stem from a desire from worldbuilding enthusiasts to religiously defend the culture of "worldbuilding" (and its excesses) by making it indistinguishable from the activities of setting building or GMing.

Ah, you were doing so well until you got to arriving bad motives to those that disagree with you.

Worldbuilding is a uselessly broad term, but I don't think anyone using it broadly was doing so out of malice or mischief. Rather, it's more likely they, using the term broadly, felt attacked by those using the term now narrowly without clear statements of how they were using the term. Thers also the tendency in this thread for posters to define worldbuilding in a way tgat speed their preferences rather than to achieve a consensus on the use of the term. This cuts against both sides.
I don't think that the people in general agreement with the sentiment in the OP are desiring to "[redefine] worldbuilding to meant the more specific setting building," but, rather, that they are "[distinguishing] worldbuilding from the more specific setting building" precisely because there are elements in cultural practice of "worldbuilding" that they find a hinderance to "setting building."

Forgetting their sense of the term is fine. When that happens, they may remind you or you may ask. Here, however, you are berating them about using terminology that they are defining and rationalizing.

The preference you describe is what [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] did. And when [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] came up with his "specific and hopefully distinctive phrase or word" to discuss the more specific concept of "setting building," you set about to equate this as being identical with "worldbuilding." So what then does the creation, clarity, and repetition of terms help if there is no intent to honor them?
Firstly, it's incumbent on someone narrowing the use of a term to be explicit about that, not on the reader.

Secondly, I have not berated anyone for introducing a new term or phrase clearly defined. I've recommended this practice, as a matter of fact.

Finally, my comment in setting building was that, absent clarification, i would not have assumed setting building was different from worldbuilding. It was not a rejection of setting building as a specific subset of worldbuilding activities, just a comment that it wasn't inherently obvious it referred to different things. Perhaps i could have been more clear about this at the time, and that's a criticism I'll take. But, at no time was I saying that such a term couldn't be usefully defined abd used to further conversation -- again, just that it wasnt obviously different without further definition. I apologise for any confusion.

darkbard

Legend
No, this is false. In the OP ou'd the inner worldbuilding thread, pemerton suggests that building the dungeon maze is worldbuilding. He, pages later, says that what he means by worldbuilding are those things the GM preps needle the game that are used by reference to cause aplayer action declaration to result in failure. It took pages to get that definition. And, it's not a definition anyone in this thread side from pemerton has used.

I'll take my lumps -- I have been argumentative with pemerton -- but only those that are actually based on what I've done.

Okay, fair enough: I went back and looked at the initial post, and, it's true, that the latter, stronger definition (GM preauthoring used to curtail PC action) doesn't appear there.

But your larger point (at least I think it's been your argument at times; as I say above, it becomes increasingly more difficult to keep track), I think, is that [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has been inconsistent in his use of the term.

And that's where I disagree: I see no inconsistency. What I do perceive is a further refinement and clarification of what he means across many, many posts. And, after all, isn't that a point of analysis, to not only represent our views but, in attempting to codify them, hold them up to our own scrutiny (as well as that of others) so we have a better understanding of what our views actually are, and why we hold them?

darkbard

Legend
Quick addendum: the "What is *worldbuilidng* for?" thread is actually an offshoot of extensive but tangential discussion in another thread ("What is an xp worth?" I think, but I don't have the time or patience to go back and look). It's quite likely that some further qualification of worldbuilding occurred in that thread, preceding the initial post of the former thread, setting up the ensuing conversation.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The last quoted sentence seems as good as any to describe what is going on.

"Everyone is involved in establishing the game world" is the description you think is best? How is that not worldbuilding?

I think the current usage of "worldbuilding" in discussions of RPGing brings with it an assumption of GM authority over that process. I think this is very evident not just in many of the posts in the current threads, but other threads one reads on ENworld, blogs one reads, presentation in D&D rulebooks, etc.

It's also very often taken for granted, in RPGing, that a "gameworld" is more-or-less independent of any particular group of players or characters - which relates to the idea of "neutrality" that has been put forward by more than one poster in these threads. The process you describe for City of Mists does not produce a "neutral" setting.

I think the criticism is for a specific type of worldbuilding, with the GM as the sole or heavily primary authority on the world details to be used in the game. I realize that my use of the term is far more broad. However, I think that broader definition is far more suitable overall, and I do think it aligns with a less RPG specific version of the term.

I think that many settings are put forth as neutral, that's true. But I don't think that must limit player agency. It depends on expectations. I share your preference of having characters that are heavily invested in what is happening in the game, and tied to the events that are going to come up. But some players don't want or need that.

So in this sense, the expectation of agency is the deciding factor. You expect more agency for the players, so if a game does not have that, then you will likely not be satisfied with it. I can understand that. I don't know if I would therefore draw the same conclusions about the game system or style of play that you draw, but I can understand your preference. If you think that worldbuilding tends to limit agency, then I can understand your concern. I don't think it is nearly as ubiquitous as you put forth, but I can understand the concern.

But if you did not expect much agency....if it was a casual game that you joined on a whim, where everyone was playing a premade module or what have you, and gave little thought beyond their character other than class and race....you'd likely be fine with whatever agency you had. (I realize that you would likely not join such a game, but let's consider this a general "you")

The expectation on the part of the player is aligned with what the game offers, in which case, nothing is being denied.

If I have two kids, and one wants 4 scoops of ice cream, and the other only wants 2, I am not denying the second kid anything when I only give him 2 scoops.

This description seems to be of a game that broadly conforms to the "standard narrativistic model":

One of the players is a gamemaster whose job it is to keep track of the backstory, frame scenes according to dramatic needs (that is, go where the action is) and provoke thematic moments (defined in narrativistic theory as moments of in-character action that carry weight as commentary on the game’s premise) by introducing complications. . . .

The actual procedure of play is very simple: once the players have established concrete characters, situations and backstory in whatever manner a given game ascribes, the GM starts framing scenes for the player characters. Each scene is an interesting situation in relation to the premise of the setting or the character (or wherever the premise comes from, depends on the game). The GM describes a situation that provokes choices on the part of the character. The player is ready for this, as he knows his character and the character’s needs, so he makes choices on the part of the character. This in turn leads to consequences as determined by the game’s rules. Story is an outcome of the process as choices lead to consequences which lead to further choices, until all outstanding issues have been resolved and the story naturally reaches an end.​

Now given that it's a PbtA game, I suspect (without having read it) that the emphasis on scene framing is less than in the standard narrativistic model. But I think in the context of this thread that's probably a minor point. I think the difference between what you describe, and a traditional GM-heavy-worldbuilding game, is fairly striking.

Sure, there are some differences that are striking. I don't know if they need to be as great as you may think. There is nothing that prevents the GM from introducing secret backstory. The book uses an example that continues throughout the rules and it's very clear that the GM is expected to do exactly that. Yes, the material the GM introduces is expected to connect to the themes and ideas established in the Exposition Session, but it still allows for it. But I don't think that this fact will wind up limiting player agency.

But what about my comment where I said this is exactly how I've been running D&D for many years? You clipped that off when you quoted me, but I'm genuinely curious for your take on that.

Why can't D&D be played with an initial session where everyone contributes characters with goals and then world details that fit nicely with those goals and the themes that seem to be generated as a result? 5E's game mechanics are not strongly designed with this in mind, but the Bonds, Flaws, and Traits can really contribute a lot in this way. And then there is no real limit to what you can do as a group independent of the mechanics.

Remove ads