Why would a DM want a copy of the players character sheet?

I usually know approximately what my party's skills etc. are, as I say them when they where created, and they can only take so many skill points a level. I guess I am just used to running for a small group I mean Whit only 5 players there is not that much to keep track of.
ken

JoeGKushner

First Post
Probably too much retread of what's been said but:

1. Back up copy in case player forgets his.

2. Allows GM to check for cheating.

3. Allows GMs to customize not only treasures, but monsters, magic items and encounters.

4. Allows reference for GM when working on background notes or important information.

5. Allows GM to check player's basic math and understanding of the game mechanics. I've come across more than one whose been cheated out of skill points because they didn't do something right or didn't have the right amount of feats or didn't add their +1 /4 level stat bonus.

Siridar

First Post
I keep copies to check for secret rolls or rolls where a roll may influence a person's knowledge instead of the character's.

Like, uh oh, I rolled a 4 on my disable device check. Hmm, my character Bob isn't too sure he did that good. He tries again just in case.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In a vague order of incresing importance:

There's times when you have a player who isn't the most honest in the world.

There's times when the DM wants to roll things on his own side of the screen without having to ask "Can I see your sheet?".

There's times when players lose their sheets, and a DM backup can be really handy.

I'd think that most DMs would like to have the character's stats and equipment on hand when designing adventures.

That list seems good enough reason to me. It isn't as if it's difficult to give your DM a copy now and again.

hammymchamham

First Post
Yep. to make sure the PC's are not cheating. Also to make sure their abilities are added up wrong. My DM does this on occasion for our group. He has yet to find a cheater, but he did find one who was cheating himself outa a +1 to attack and damge :eek:

It also helps if a player doesn't show up for what ever reason, so the DM can run that player (or someone else run him)

sword-dancer

Explorer
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Well after seeing the thread on Dm's and copies of character sheets . I Don't; understand why the DM would need a copy of the character sheet? I mean in my game after they roll the character up and I see what they have, I don't understand why I would want a copy of it. now things like character back ground etc. I have copies of, but only because we tend to blue book those things online between session.
Ken

1 To have the Stats of the PC at hand when creating adventures. and mastering them
You need to know which abilities the PC have
2 To have a replacement if a Player forgets his sheet

3 I´ve a Master PC Sheet with the important infos, especially the G-M only infos

Dispater

Explorer
I usually require a copy of the player character sheets - and an updated version every now and then... but to me its just a matter of principle as I very seldom ever look at them. Its just to prevent cheating and to press that players wont be able to keep anything secret for me, as I am THE DM and I am A GOD. :D

Last edited:

JohnClark

First Post
I don't have a copy of their sheets, but I do have their saves and spot/listen written down so that they can't be like, "I go investigate what I didn't see over there." :) Not that they would, but it preserves the suspense alot more if they don't know that they didn't see something.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
hammymchamham said:
It also helps if a player doesn't show up for what ever reason, so the DM can run that player (or someone else run him)
I see this as the main reason. That, plus the kickback from the International Brotherhood of Paper Manufacturers.

Last edited:

Remove ads