Why would a DM want a copy of the players character sheet?

Well after seeing the thread on Dm's and copies of character sheets . I Don't; understand why the DM would need a copy of the character sheet? I mean in my game after they roll the character up and I see what they have, I don't understand why I would want a copy of it. now things like character back ground etc. I have copies of, but only because we tend to blue book those things online between session.
Ken

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
In case you need to reference any of the character's abilities without the player's knowledge-- such as their Will save when Charm Person is cast on them, or their Listen check when there are ninjas afoot.

It also helps tailor encounters for the party when you can look at all their abilities at once.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Joseph Elric Smith said:
I Don't; understand why the DM would need a copy of the character sheet?

Because it gives the DM power over the PC, not unlike a voodoo doll :D

Try this during a game: quickly shuffle through the character sheets as if searching for something, exclaim "AHA!", makes some notes, then go on as if nothing unusual happened.

Ron

Explorer
I can think of three reasons:

1) To search for adventure's hooks and to mesh to campaign plot with the history and wishes of the player's character.

2) To prevent cheating. Sad, but happened to me once...

3) To look for the character's vulnerabilities. It may look like cheating but it does create excellent dramatic opportunities.

Larry Fitz

First Post
1) If the player forgets to bring their character sheet to the game, it's still there anyway.

2) If all the characters know that the DM has their character sheets, they are less likely to alter the sheets in subtle (and not so subtle) ways

3) All DM's get a secret stipend from the International Brotherhood of Paper Manufacturers to encourage the use of more paper.

4) Dm's are overbearing , unreasonable, egotistical and mean.

edited for spelling and to double check level of sarcasm.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Here's my reasons.

Korimyr the Rat said:
In case you need to reference any of the character's abilities without the player's knowledge-- such as their Will save when Charm Person is cast on them, or their Listen check when there are ninjas afoot.

It also helps tailor encounters for the party when you can look at all their abilities at once.

Ron said:
1) To search for adventure's hooks and to mesh to campaign plot with the history and wishes of the player's character.

3) To look for the character's vulnerabilities. It may look like cheating but it does create excellent dramatic opportunities.

Larry Fitz said:
1) If the player forgets to bring their character sheet to the game, it's still there anyway.

Erebus Red

First Post
Personally as a DM I dont like to have a copy...

My reasons:

First to set the scene - in trying to create a 'realistic' environment I don't 'scale' adventures or NPCs that the party might encounter - the world is full of people, monsters and things that may be very easy or very hard for the players to tackle.

In the same way I'd rather not pre-emptively know what the players spells, abilities are. This way I avoid the temptation to exploit weaknesses or play to strengths.

Keeping it real...

Fenes 2

First Post
I tailor all my adventures to the PCs' background, strength and weaknesses. Having all the information at hand helps building suitable opponents. Also, listen, spot, and other checks can be rolled without giving something away (Although in my current groups the players generally do not metagame, sometimes an actual surprise is more fun for all.)

Drawmack

First Post
I write all my own adventures. I need to know the saves and skills when I'm designing so I con modle the appropriate level of difficulty.

Remove ads