Wil Wheaton Sues Geek & Sundry Over Titansgrave

Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana was a web series produced by Geek & Sundry and Wil Wheaton; it later became a Fantasy AGE campaign setting from Green Ronin. Wheaton is suing Geek & Sundry over his share of the profits from that web series, and has filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Titansgrave-Episode0c.png

Hollywood Reporter has more information. Apparently the agreement was that Wheaton be paid $50,000 plus 50% of the series' net profit. He is seeking $100,000 in damages and asking that an audit take place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grave Knight

Explorer
Almost certainly sounds like an IP fight
Maybe, but there isn't any evidence. Right now it just sounds like Wil Wheaton wanting the money that's owed to him. I don't know if Geek and Sundry has any rights over Titansgrave but there might be some unknown contract obligations that either gives them full rights over the IP or prevents season 2 from releasing before it's broadcast on Geek and Sundry.

EDIT: Okay, there is more evidence of that than I thought. It's been a while since I look at the back of the book for Titansgrave, but there is a Geek and Sundry trademark on it. So you might be right. If they settle out of court don't be surprised if Wheaton gets a significantly smaller amount of money but also gets the rights to Titansgrave back.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Maybe, but there isn't any evidence. Right now it just sounds like Wil Wheaton wanting the money that's owed to him. I don't know if Geek and Sundry has any rights over Titansgrave but there might be some unknown contract obligations that either gives them full rights over the IP or prevents season 2 from releasing before it's broadcast on Geek and Sundry.

Yes, maybe, just saying what it looks like. The money isn't a big amount for entertainment either, in particular after the lawyers take their cut, however it is a good bargaining chip to get control of the show, and then shop it somewhere else.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Pft. Be funny if that happens and it ends up on Critical Role's channel.

That's why it's called Hollyweird, I lived there for a couple of years before deciding I had enough. First job out of uni was as a draftsman for a team designing strut tower brackets for the jeep liberty.

I'm not remotely surprised. Geek & Sundry was great at first, but once Legendary Digital bought it there have been a number of signs that they're just not the same culture. Wil left, as have a bunch of other people, and the general feel is that it's been because of Legendary. I still like Felicia Day, but I generally avoid G&S now with the exception of Matt Mercer's Critical Role.

PabloM

Adventurer
I still like Felicia Day, but I generally avoid G&S now with the exception of Matt Mercer's Critical Role.

I don't consider myself a critter, and I'm sure someone can let me know if I'm wrong, but I think Critical Role left G&S and made his own channel now.

I don't consider myself a critter, and I'm sure someone can let me know if I'm wrong, but I think Critical Role left G&S and made his own channel now.

It did. They left Legendary, too. I still just associate them, I guess. I'm not a critter, either, but I catch their streams when they're on if I'm not busy.

aramis erak

Legend
Almost certainly sounds like an IP fight
Those get ugly quick.
Usually the wealthier side tries to delay as long as possible to run the up-front costs as high for the other side as possible, or a settlement is reached.
And, as with academic politics, the nastiness is so high because the stakes are so low...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Those get ugly quick.
Usually the wealthier side tries to delay as long as possible to run the up-front costs as high for the other side as possible, or a settlement is reached.
And, as with academic politics, the nastiness is so high because the stakes are so low...

The entertainment companies stock and trade are intangible capital or assets, so they gird and lawyer up for the fight. Ironically, they can often be pretty amicable afterwards, and even see programs on the networks again after they have sued each other, Hollywood is weird

Brodie

Explorer
I can understand him wanting his profits (and the Titansgrave IP, if that's indeed owned by them). I just wish he'd get back to doing gaming stuff in video format. G&S has 'Game The Game' and that basically took over the void left by 'Tabletop,' but it's not the same or as entertaining. (Although, Becca Scott's videos on how to play the game are a great introduction to rules...)

Critical Role fled the mess that was G&S and Project Alpha, though for legal reasons (I'm guessing) had to keep showing CR on those platforms. They own their IP, they own their brand, and they're not affiliated the evil corporate overlords anymore. I'd love to see Wheaton come to the new CR for a cameo - or even just work with them - but I have a feeling that won't happen.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases