D&D 5E Wild Card Rogue, Is it balanced?

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Title

At the bottom of page in subclasses.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Its one of the subclasses made for a supplement made in the ok from the creator of League of Legends. The subclasses are about to be removed because there was a misunderstanding between the two companies about rights.

As for the mechanics themselves, they are all over the place and the subclass is not written in a way that makes sense in 5e. Its not unbalanced per se, but it just does not work well because the features interact in a weird way with the base 5e rules.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Its one of the subclasses made for a supplement made in the ok from the creator of League of Legends. The subclasses are about to be removed because there was a misunderstanding between the two companies about rights.

As for the mechanics themselves, they are all over the place and the subclass is not written in a way that makes sense in 5e. Its not unbalanced per se, but it just does not work well because the features interact in a weird way with the base 5e rules.
I'm sad to hear that they will be removed, as they're a lot of fun. However, they do require more interpretation than they should, and are a perfect example of 3pp products for 5e that aren't so much imbalanced as they just...aren't written correctly for 5e.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like the ideas here but I wouldn't allow this at my table.

Tricks Up The Sleeve -- wait, we needed to make guidance EVEN BETTER?

Dragon gambit -- for a bonus action, holy crap, this seems like a lot of damage.

Loaded dice -- I actually like this a lot, but it has some weird interactions with Uncanny Dodge (you can't do both) and I've really come to hate the whole "You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll hits or misses" language. Like, who pauses before determining hit/miss? Shouldn't it be obvious? The shield spell doesn't need this language; how is this different?\

Playing Cards -- I like the idea of playing cards as weapons but this is phrased in a complex and heavily restricted way. I'd just say something like, "You are proficient in the use of a playing card as a thrown ranged weapon that deals 1d4 slashing damage and has a range of 20/60 feet."

Wild Card Suit Table -- I like this idea too but holy crap, sneak-attack-and-a-half damage? That's sick. Half your sneak attack as healing that also converts to temporary hit points is also gratuitously strong.

Shifting the Odds -- cute, but this doesn't need to deal that much damage, or deal force damage, or deal any damage at all, really. Recovery on a short rest is also too much. A simpler and better balanced version would just say "You can cast misty step without any components. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest."

Twist of Fate -- love it, but the wording makes it seem like you are forcing your ally to agree with you. (I think a better but less obvious interpretation is that your ally must agree with you in order for the swap to take place.) This may be OP since enemies get no save if you swap with them.

Joker Wild -- holy crap, this reads like a paladin subclass capstone. Very OP in the hands of most rogues, who don't generally need this level of toughness or mobility in order to be super dangerous.

Weiley31

Legend
Not gonna lie: it's probably my fave Rogue subclass next to the Arcane Trickster and the Thief. I also like the fact that it pretty much gives rules for a Gambit style type weapon minus the charge explosions.

And yeah, the Capstone is a crazy good Devil May Cry style Devil Trigger super mode. Yeah a number of Capstones for a number of Subclasses have ya gain a Super Mode transformation, but I feel like the Wildcard Rogue has a version that is done right.

Remove ads