Critical Role Wildemount has new subraces and reprints a ton of others

gyor

Legend
Hmmm... did anyone check if any of the other races (esp the Elemental Evil era races) got errata'd? A few of them could use the boost...

No, Genasi subraces are still an unbalanced mess. They based it on the horrible 2e Genasi rules instead of the better 3.5e rules or 4e rules.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I like how they handled the Saerae, aka Rae now, they kept the wings, fire theme, and basic compassion and redemption themes, but replaced the Angel background with Humaniod Pheonix and Golarion lore with Exandia lore. It will he interesting to see how Rae evovles in the future and if she ends up in Nentir Vale if they update it to 5e.

Yeah, also, while I loved the Titles as Names in the Tal'Dorie book, I'm so so glad to get actual names back. Because know I can (officially in a licensed format) call her "The Raven Queen" instead of the horrendous title "Matron of Raves" which I just did not like.

teitan

Legend
Its not just Wildemount, its the broader trend, if a race keeps popping up in books, multiple settings its a sign that its a core race. Goblins were a core race for most MtG settings, so now that they are getting the D&D treatment it makes sense to add them to the PHB, especially since they are playable in Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Exandia, and other more traditional D&D settings. I'd also add Aasimar and Genasi to the PHB.

I agree Goblins & Orcs should be standard with the way the game has evolved beyond the humanocentric standard of early editions. I still think they don't really fit as PC races in most settings though. Wildemount it makes sense while Tal'dorei... not so much.

teitan

Legend
I've been thinking for awhile that they should do an expanded edition of the PHB, not 5.5e exactly, but more add a few more core races to it, the the subclasses from XGTE, and a few more things.

I think this is what we will see instead of a 6e or 5.5. Probably in the next three years.

teitan

Legend
Simple.

Just go back in time to summer 2014 and make WotC decide to add 16 pages or so to the PHB.

Or, if you feel that's infeasible, how about adding enough rules to the monster entries (of Goblins etc) in the MM and simply rule those races are "core legit" too!

But Aasimar are in the DMG and people don't realize it!

I like the approach, reminds me of Starfinder with the Alien books.

teitan

Legend
Sadly that's not the case for all subclasses like in the gods' section they point you to book and page where the mentioned domains are contained, for example, the arcana domain and the order domains in which they point you to two different books.

Yeah but those gods are still playable without the material in question. I saw that and was half disappointed, it would add maybe a couple places. You know what's cooler though? Named Warlock Patrons. Also includes Clerical domains for them too! How's that not cool? And the Bright Queen? Lawful Neutral!

teitan

Legend
I like how they handled the Saerae, aka Rae now, they kept the wings, fire theme, and basic compassion and redemption themes, but replaced the Angel background with Humaniod Pheonix and Golarion lore with Exandia lore. It will he interesting to see how Rae evovles in the future and if she ends up in Nentir Vale if they update it to 5e.

The Veil? The Veil is dead my friend, you may call it Wildemounte.

Remove ads