D&D (2024) Will Pact Magic survive?

As long as they are rare and worth it.

And rare.
yes... this is why i love warlock (bringing it back) I can pick an invocation to give myself a daily, and at level 11+ I get a few big dailies... but most of my class is at will and most of what is left is short rest based.
Can I imagine no prep classes at all instead? I hate class abilities that are homework and playing a guessing game against the DM.
I would not mind seeing a 4e type game where there was still a wizard class like a mix of the 4e and 5e wizard... you have a spell book you prep X spells (I like level + int mod) but some you can cast at will when preped (like the above list) some you can cast for free 1/short rest then use slots for, and some use slots...
edit: but few slots

mellored

Legend
I think that you can include mage armor detect magic speak with animals and speak with dead...
Yea, that was not an exhaustive list.
Just didn't feel like copying all 13 at-will spells a warlock could get.

There are also 7 "You can't do so again until you finish a long rest." That could also be consolidated.

now I want to make a list of all the spells they can get atwill...

Edit:
Mage armor
Levitate
Speak with animals
Hold Monster *
Detect Magic
False Life
Disguise self
Silent Image
Jump
Invisability
Arcane eye
Speak with dead

Always on you can pick up prof in 3 skills, better darkvision (devil sight) read all languages,

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend

There are also 7 "You can't do so again until you finish a long rest." That could also be consolidated.
There is also the very bad "You can cast SPELL once using a warlock spell slot." which is truly horrible as it uses an invocation and a precious spell slot to use.

• Bane
  • Bestow curse
  • Compulsion
  • Conjure elemental
  • Polymorph
  • Slow

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
1. The class is really popular as it is.
2. It is easily modified by new invocations.
3. The most commonly mentioned issues with multiclassing seem to revolve around using warlock spell slots for other class features like smites and spell points, which are easily resolved by adjustments to the multiclass wording.
4. They seem to be moving in the direction of letting all classes know more spells, which will cover off that issue.

I'm not seeing any strong arguments for abolishing pact magic. Quite the opposite.

Sure, I would rather get a third slot sooner and having a choice of two spells for Mystic Arcana but it ain't broke.
I’d give the ability to regain 1 slot as an action at level 5, pb/lr. I’ve proposed a third slot at 5 and people generally felt it was wildly OP. While I disagree, regaining a slot without resting is similar to the wizards arcane recovery in theme, and gives a little more freedom.

Remove ads