D&D (2024) Will Pact Magic survive?

Remathilis

Legend
Screw Vancian Casting, all my homies hate that guy!

Does anyone outside of grognards even LIKE Vancian Casting? Even without the ‘asign to slot’ system of old? Do newcomers grock with it or just accept it as a weird D&D thing?
Spell slots/Vancian magic is like SDCIWCh, AC based on armor, alignment and levels. There are so many better ways to implement those ideas and yet if you deviate too far, the game stops "looking" like D&D. 4e especially showed that breaking from Vancian magic did a lot to remove the familiarity lots of people expected, regardless if it was a better system or not.

mellored

Legend
Invocations is where it’s at to be more magical. We need more that give you new at-will abilities or the model where you get one free use then can use your spell slots.
There are a bunch of crappy invocations that need fixed.

And a lot of them can be consolidated. "You can cast .... at-will without expending a spell slot." Is repeated 13 times.

You can save nearly a whole page with...

Eldrich Cantrip.
Select one of the following spells. You can cast it at-will without expending a spell slot. You can take this invocation more than once, but must pick a different spell each time.
  • Disguise self
  • alter self
  • silent image

Vaalingrade

Legend
There are a bunch of crappy invocations that need fixed.

And a lot of them can be consolidated. "You can cast .... at-will without expending a spell slot." Is repeated 13 times.

Eldrich Cantrip.
Select one of the following spells. You can cast it at-will without expending a spell slot. You can take this invocation more than once, but must pick a different spell each time.
  • Disguise self
  • alter self
  • silent image
Then would come the whining about how there's no flavor text...

Eldrich Cantrip.
  • Disguise self
  • alter self
  • silent image
I think that you can include mage armor detect magic speak with animals and speak with dead...

this is why I think all spells should be re done. Imagine if a prep class preping one of those spells got to cast them without slots...

Why I am consistently against the Daily abilities.

Encounter and At-Will powers 4 Life. No more Work Day.
I think some dailies as a spread of abilities isn't a bad idea... you can as long as they are not your main go to and you can have all characters function as there character at encounter #10 of the day or 1...

Vaalingrade

Legend
I think some dailies as a spread of abilities isn't a bad idea... you can as long as they are not your main go to and you can have all characters function as there character at encounter #10 of the day or 1...
As long as they are rare and worth it.

And rare.

Imagine if a prep class preping one of those spells got to cast them without slots...
Can I imagine no prep classes at all instead? I hate class abilities that are homework and playing a guessing game against the DM.

Remove ads