D&D 5E Will there be a "default" mode of play in Next?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The modular approach of D&D Next has me looking at the game in a whole new light. I keep hearing there will be options for this and options for that.

Now I understand that all editions have always had the option of houserules but I think Next is supposed to be something different. I see Next as a large bucket of generic Legos and I see other editions of D&D as Lego sets, Castle, Pirate etc...

Because Next could potentially be that "generic" bucket of Legos that can be built into almost anything, will there even be a "default" method of play?

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
I think there has to be. This will always be a certain "core" to the game (Like stats...are stats modularizable?) and most of the dispute I read relate to core issues.

With any system design this is true. The hard bit is figuring out the framework, once you have that sorts the parts you plug into it are easy, but dang, you gotta get that core right.

Mercutio01

First Post
Because Next could potentially be that "generic" bucket of Legos that can be built into almost anything, will there even be a "default" method of play?

The worry there is that we do the 2E thing. That is, present a ton of options, and then just assume everyone uses all of them when further supplements come out. So long as they can present each further supplement as a standalone module that doesn't require "all the modules!" to use, there shouldn't be a huge problem. But that's the worry I have about setting a default module.

Agamon

Adventurer
Of course, the whole idea is that you can just play with the core (like we are now in the playtest), or add on modules as you choose.

It's not Lego, it's a doll that you can dress or play with with no...hmmm, bad analogy. :p

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The way Next/5e is sounding the sheer amount of optional fiddly rules and mods that show up, there might have to be a few defaults.

Probably a core set of rules that mimic each previous edition at least. (5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4)

the Jester

Legend
Of course, the whole idea is that you can just play with the core (like we are now in the playtest), or add on modules as you choose.

In fact, someone at WotC- I think but would not swear Mearls- even said that you could swap modules in and out from encounter to encounter, not just campaign to campaign.

So- will there be a default playstyle? I think that D&D's default playstyle is and always has been "kick in the door, kill things, take their stuff", and I expect that will continue; but D&D has always easily supported other playstyles, even- again- from encounter to encounter, not just campaign to campaign- and I hope/think that it will be easier than ever in 5e.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Based on what they've been saying (including the #1 Rule-of-Three answer from this week), the plan is to have a simple "kernel" that you can then add on modules to add or change rules. The dials and optional rules will be packaged into modules based on playstyle, but can still be used individually.

MacMathan

Explorer
I imagine the default will be whatever they turn Encounters into. The public out reach games will set the tone for what new players expect.

delericho

Legend
There will need to be a default mode, or the game will be an unplayable mess. The Starter Set (or whatever equivalent exists) really isn't the place to introduce modules, so they'll want to "bake in" a particular style. To ease transition from the Starter to the "real game", they'll want that to match the default of the core rules - whether that's the kernel with no modules or a default set of modules.

As noted up-thread, the Organised Play options will also require a known baseline to operate from. Most likely, this will take the form of a set of modules that DMs are expected to use. (Worryingly, that may well be "anything goes".)

And finally, of course, we would benefit from their being a default set in the rules. It's much easier to deviate from a baseline in a controlled manner if you know what the baseline is. If we have to work out the intricacies of the modular system before starting to play, the game is likely dead in the water.

(In any case, whether or not the game sets a default, it will almost certainly become quickly apparent that there is a de facto default, as WotC determine that most groups use modules A, D, F and G in some combination, while only a few groups use other modules. And so, they'll provide supplements tailored for modules A, D, F and G, and ignore everything else. This, in turn, will make those modules more attractive, further embedding the default, and so it goes. Compare the situation with Epic-level play/support in 4e to see how it will work out.)

Remove ads