D&D 5E Will there be a "default" mode of play in Next?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Because Next could potentially be that "generic" bucket of Legos that can be built into almost anything, will there even be a "default" method of play?

It sounds to me as if there will be a presumed "basic" set of rules. These will be a subset of the "core" which will include a mess of modules designed to emulate feels from various previous editions.

Now, if that "basic" game is also the assumed "default" set of rules, I don't know. TBH, I doubt that even WOTC knows, at this point in the process.

Incenjucar

Legend
There will certainly be default assumptions. The feat and skill packages they call "themes" and "backgrounds" will be part of the default, as will using magic items - basically the stuff that they can sell you splatbooks full of. Things they can't make any money on, such as how you generate ability scores or how you deal with non-magical healing, they'll probably have a default for, but may not - perhaps making a small list for a "Casual" mode and an "Experienced" mode. But they're going to want to ensure that the audience expects the RPG equivalent of DLC.

As far as the intro box goes... there IS a chance that they will make it a super-simple version of the game, without skills and feats, since those tend to not factor in as much at low levels, but I put any money down to bet on it.

Remove ads