D&D 5E Will there be a "default" mode of play in Next?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I wouldn't be surprised if the "default mode" of D&D turns out to be basically "Red Box Mode."

The simplest mode made for people who don't want to think much about customizing their own games is the "default mode" of D&D. Just four races, four classes, a dungeon, maybe a town, a few monsters, and some loot. The raw essence of D&D.

Everything else is sauce on top.

the Jester

Legend
There will need to be a default mode, or the game will be an unplayable mess. The Starter Set (or whatever equivalent exists) really isn't the place to introduce modules, so they'll want to "bake in" a particular style.

Personally, I think this is backwards- I believe that the starter set must support multiple playstyles if 5e is to accomplish its goal of re-unifying the fan base, and modules seem to be the mode of choice for satisfying different playstyle needs.

Kavon

Explorer
I can imagine many things that are required for the utmost basic core of the game to be kept so vague and general that it doesn't need to have a very specific way of being handled.

As I just recently replied to Kamikaze Midget's HP thread, it's still on my mind, so I'll take an example from that.

Hit Points can be kept extremely vague in the simple core of the game.
You have hit points. Once they're gone, you're dead. Some abilities restore HP. Period. No need to go any further than that.
Want to get into it further, define what everything means, change how dying works, or how restoring hit points works? There's your modules.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Personally, I think this is backwards- I believe that the starter set must support multiple playstyles if 5e is to accomplish its goal of re-unifying the fan base, and modules seem to be the mode of choice for satisfying different playstyle needs.

Assuming they have both a Starter Set and the classic 3-book Core Rulebooks, then the Starter Set won't be trying to reunify the fanbase - that will be the tool for bringing in new players.

If at all possible, those Core Rulebooks certainly should allow for multiple playstyles.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Because Next could potentially be that "generic" bucket of Legos that can be built into almost anything, will there even be a "default" method of play?
Certainly, there has to be, really, if the game is presented in a way that makes sense. The 'core' of the rules would define that default, and we've gotten a look at the core rules in the first playtest: The default way to play 5e will be a bit like early D&D - with most everything dependent on your DM's judgement, and very little in the way of class or encounter balance.

Jhaelen

First Post
In fact, someone at WotC- I think but would not swear Mearls- even said that you could swap modules in and out from encounter to encounter, not just campaign to campaign.
Actually, I seem to recall they were saying that each player in a group could use different modules simultaneously, i.e. player one could use the complex skill system and the narrative combat option while player two used only ability checks and tactical combat with 4e style maneuvers.

I strongly doubted that this would ever work back then and I still don't see it working even if people only agreed to use one set of modules on an encounter basis.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Quote:========================
Originally Posted by the Jester
In fact, someone at WotC- I think but would not swear Mearls- even said that you could swap modules in and out from encounter to encounter, not just campaign to campaign.
================================================
Actually, I seem to recall they were Actually, I seem to recall they were saying that each player in a group could use different modules simultaneously, i.e. player one could use the complex skill system and the narrative combat option while player two used only ability checks and tactical combat with 4e style maneuvers.
I remember that too, quite vividly. Early on, they were saying stuff like that. One guy can have his 4e fighter, the next guy his 3e wizard, the next his AD&D cleric, and it'll all 'balance!'

I haven't heard them say that again. IIRC, in that last chat session that go logged, they were talking about modules as tools to 'build the game you want' from 5e, so it'd be the DM - or the group consensus, if the DM didn't mind giving them input into what he'd run - that decided which modules would be used, and thus, what sort of characters could be played with what sort of 'feel.'

Remathilis

Legend
My guess...

"Basic" - The minimum rules you need to play, plus a few options (themes, HD, backgrounds). Most dials set to normal.

"Advanced" - RPGA rules. Tactical combat, customized theme/background, etc. Dials adjusted to fit tournament play (healing up, for example).

Li Shenron

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if the "default mode" of D&D turns out to be basically "Red Box Mode."

The simplest mode made for people who don't want to think much about customizing their own games is the "default mode" of D&D. Just four races, four classes, a dungeon, maybe a town, a few monsters, and some loot. The raw essence of D&D.

I don't know, this sounds to me more like a "default starting point" in terms of PC options and adventure type.

But if we talk about a "default mode", I think this should refer rather to presumably the most common way to run the game, particularly with the regard to the rules being used. This "default mode" is what the designers need in order to publish adventures that cater to the largest amount of gaming groups, while at the same time requiring the smallest possible amount of adjustment from other groups.

So while I would expect a typical group to shift away from "default starting point" already after a bunch of evening, I would expect most groups to stick with "default mode" for a long time if not forever.

Now the problem is that "kernel rules" and "default mode" are not necessarily going to be same thing. For instance, the tactical module may end up being so popular that the default mode should assume its use.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Li Shenron said:
But if we talk about a "default mode", I think this should refer rather to presumably the most common way to run the game, particularly with the regard to the rules being used.

The reason I think default mode needs to be "simple Red Box mode" is this:

Anyone picking up D&D for the first time is not going to be interested in customizing the rules and futzing with the options. They are going to want to sit down that night and play D&D. Anything overly complex, overly detailed, or in any way psychologically off-putting will potentially stop them from playing. The "Raw Essence of D&D" needs to be the first foot put forward, nothing more, nothing less.

After that raw essence, after someone has been roped into the game, there's a possibility for more customization and more options -- especially some of the more popular ones.

Now, I think the first "core books" are going to include a lot of those popular options. Certainly it won't take up all the page count available to deliver a simple D&D experience.

But if the basic version isn't ready to play out-of-the-box, or if it is adorned with a lot of superfluous stuff that is popular with the hardcore crowd but that must be removed before a more "basic" play, then it won't deliver a generic, broad, D&D experience without some customization. And anyone who is new to the game isn't going to customize.

In other words, D&D shouldn't have to put out an "introductory" product. The PHB, DMG, and MM should be the introductory products. They should include more than just that introduction, but they should be that introduction as well.

Remove ads