• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you be purchasing PDFs from DriveThruRPG?

Will you be purchasing PDFs from DriveThruRPG?

• Yes.

Votes: 77 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 460 85.7%

Aristotle

First Post
I still don't get it. Thus far the only arguments I've heard that make any sense are...

The software isn't available for my computer or I can't upgrade the software. This is a valid complaint, but its really a technology issue. I have no doubt that the technology will become available to other operating systems in time. If you are using a computer that you are not allowed to upgrade software on, you most likely aren't supposed to be viewing game documents on it anyway. You can't expect people to cater to old versions of software forever. They are going to want to take advantage of features made available in newer versions of the software. You either need to upgrade or be left behind... and if you choose being left behind it was *your* decision, not theirs.

If you lose the file it won't be replaced. This is a business practice I would like to see changed. I don't see why they can't keep a record of what we've downloaded and let us redownload the items to computers we are registered on with Adobe. I think it might be possible to influence a change in this policy if enough people express a desire for it.

To me that just means I need to back the files up in multiple ways. That won't be a problem. I'll keep a copy burnt to CD for archives, a copy on my "desktop" PC (4 disks in RAID 5 w/ 1 hot spare), and a copy on my laptop. Nothing short of a disaster should cause me to totally lose the file.

I can only copy 10 pages in 10 days. Okay, so that *is* a limit, but it is that sort of limitation that gives publishers a sense of security (false or not, it doesn't really matter) and allows them to put *more* digital product on the virtual shelf. So far as I've heard you have unlimited ability to print the document, and copying 10 times in 10 days still gives you more access to the information than a print document (how many times do you get to cut and paste from your printed documents?).

I don't think that is too restrictive, so long as it means a larger assortment of product available. It could be inconvenient for people now and then, but I think it is getting way overhyped here.

That's it. I don't really see much merit to most of the other arguments. As I said before it appears like a lot of "the sky is falling" paranoia to me. If this thread has done anything it has changed me from a "MAYBE" to a "YES", I'll definately give them some business.

Wombat

First Post
Actually, as stated before, one of my biggest problems is with security issues. That is an issue I have NOT heard addressed by DriveThruRPG.

And that moves me, more than anything else, from Maybe to No.

I don't need another bit of spyware floating around in the computer world.

RCanning

First Post
I just updated my post (at the bottom of page 5).

Spoke to Adobe who told me that opening DRM files on multiple computers is NOT supposed to be possible; even for printing purposes. Anyway, I have posted the details on my previous post.

James Heard

Explorer
Aristotle said:
I still don't get it. Thus far the only arguments I've heard that make any sense are...

The software isn't available for my computer or I can't upgrade the software. This is a valid complaint, but its really a technology issue. I have no doubt that the technology will become available to other operating systems in time. If you are using a computer that you are not allowed to upgrade software on, you most likely aren't supposed to be viewing game documents on it anyway. You can't expect people to cater to old versions of software forever. They are going to want to take advantage of features made available in newer versions of the software. You either need to upgrade or be left behind... and if you choose being left behind it was *your* decision, not theirs.

Using Linux isn't really "refusing to upgrade" and Adobe has had it's entire lifespan as a company to adopt it's software to it but hasn't. That suggests that relying on Adobe to suddenly abdicate that business decision and cater to such a small segment of their potential market won't happen any time soon. I suppose it might change if GIMP ever starts significantly impacting Adobe's Photoshop sales, or if some Linux driven product starts to make a headway into the PDF market. That is, when pigs fly and Bill Gates voluntarily kills Microsoft. As for the upgraded software issue, software upgrades usually come with a significant amount of bloat. That's an issue on a lot of machines no matter what configuration they are.

For me though, DRM is just unacceptable and exclusive distribution is just a recipe for a thoroughly unpleasant cartel to form. Hell, I'm not sure if I really care to buy anything from any of the publishers period now. If I'm on the fence on a PnP product even, this might swing me away from them. I don't CARE if it's good for the companies, it's not good for me and a game just isn't worth sacrificing my principles for.

Psion

Adventurer
I was told flat out that if I download DRM protected files on one computer, I will not be able to load them on another. I know this contradicts what DriveThru are saying, and what other people have stated, but this is according to Adobe.

Their activation FAQ says you can have 6 computers/devices.

Wieck says there is no limit.

I think one of the things that needs to get resolved right away is the actual poop on what can and cannot be done, cause nobody seems to agree.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Psion said:
Their activation FAQ says you can have 6 computers/devices.

Wieck says there is no limit.

I think one of the things that needs to get resolved right away is the actual poop on what can and cannot be done, cause nobody seems to agree.

Yah, I wish they'd put something together like this. Because Eden's "Fields of Blood" keeps calling to me.

Dimwhit

Explorer
RCanning said:
Lengthy post on not being able to view the pdf on a second machine.

RCanning, my first question is: how did you get the file on the other machine? If you just dragged it to a thumbdrive or network drive or something, it won't work. I tried that. Here's what you need to do: Open up My Bookshelf in Reader 6. Click on the pdf you want, then click Save a Copy. You can save it anywhere--an external drive, thumb drive, wherever. Say you put it on a thumb drive. Take that to the new computer and plug it in. Go to Reader 6 on that machine (assuming it's authenticated for DRM already), go to My Bookshelf, click Add, then select the file. I think you can actually copy it from the thumbdrive to any location on your hard drive first. Do it that way, and you shouldn't have a problem. When I did it that way, it worked for me.

So Adobe is full of it. You can read an ebook on more than one machine. I don't know how many, but you can.

RCanning

First Post
Dimwhit said:
When I did it that way, it worked for me.

Thanks Dimwhit.

What you described is the method we used. The file is in the Bookshelf of my wife's computer, and all of the authentication is accepted and the machine is welcoming me by name; I know we are logged in. We did save the file from the My Bookshelf using Save a Copy, and it was then opened from the same on the other computer. It just keeps reporting the same error over and over.

As I said, I know what Adobe said contradicted what DriveThruRPG says, and what others are saying, but if all of these companies are involved and they don't know what they are doing, then how are we?

This is a rhetorical question, I don't expect you to answer it. I expect them to.

I will keep working on it, because I agree in principle with some of what they are doing. But it has to work, and that is the problem with DRM PDFs; they don't.

Richard Canning

Last edited:

Starglim

Explorer
I don't like it. I think it will be a disaster for Malhavoc. I'll wait three months and pay for the print product rather than use this site.

Remove ads