D&D 4E Will you buy 4e?

If D&D 4e comes out in 2008 or 2009 will you buy it?

• Yes, Core Books and Supplements

Votes: 56 18.4%
  • Yes, Core Books, Maybe Supplements

Votes: 37 12.2%
  • Yes, Core Books Only

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Maybe, Core Books, Maybe Supplements

Votes: 45 14.8%
  • Maybe, Core Books Only

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No, but I'd use a 4e SRD.

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • No.

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • Other/Don't Know

Votes: 47 15.5%

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Here's a question that (hopefully) is related: how long do you think that WotC can continue to make money with the current edition of the rules? I think that's the ultimate decision factor: if people are still buying PHBs and new supplements, what's the reason for the new edition?

Related to that question is: how much longer can we have supplemental material for the current edition? Have we hit the point where (say) Complete Warrior II will be met with scorn and not purchased? Once that happens, a new edition is going to be well on the way.

I am quite surprised at the hostility this topic always seems to generate: D&D is a business, and if people aren't buying the products for the current edition, well it's either something new or fold up the tents. Do we really want there to be no more D&D?

Currently I have two full adventure paths (Shackled City, Age of Worms) and the EN World Adventure Path War of the Burning Sky to run, which will keep me GMing for the next several years at the rate I'm presently gaming. I have no need to update to a new edition at all. At the same time, I'd love to see what comes next, because maybe, just maybe, it will be better and more fun.

If it's not, My Red Hand of Doom game will begin promply in 2010, after the rest of the games have finished up...

--Steve

Roadkill101

Explorer
I'll buy the core books for any new editions, for posterity's sake, more than any other reason.

I own most of the 1e rule-books, the "core" 2e books (and a few of the earlier supplements, especially FR), all the "basic" boxed sets, one of the "original" boxed sets and the 3.0 core books.

Whether or not I use or bother really learning any newer editions is another matter. I'll at least read through them once.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I had to put down Don't Know because I honestly have to see what it looks like. Chances are I will eventually buy the core rulebooks simply because I know my friends will want to run it and I will probably want to play. A more important question for me therefore, is whether I plan to run 4e games. That is really up in the air right now, since I am very happy running 3e. 4e will have to make a decided retro move back to 1e style or find some other vast improvement that I never realized the game needed before I will completely embrace it.

delericho

Legend
Yes, Core Books. Maybe supplements... but then I said that with 3e, and with 3.5e, and still ended up with a shelf of books for each.

I won't buy a 3.75e, though, unless the Core Rules are each expanded to 500 pages, and include a lot of material that currently is outside the core (I certainly don't want that expanded pagecount eaten up with 'expanded format' spells, PrCs and monsters). Otherwise, I see no point.

I'll definitely buy a players handbook.

It can sit on my shelf next to my Castles & Crusades, True 20 and all the other games I buy to read rather than play.

I have enough 3.5 stuff to keep me going for decades; I don't need anything else.

If 4th edition turns out to be much better, and compatible, then I'll probably make the switch at some point.

If it is much better, but not compatible, I'll probably just use it as the inspiration for a mass of house rules for 3.5.

Sir Elton

First Post
I would like to be married first. Then have a son and a daughter, then that would justify me buying 4e. Otherwise, what would be the fun of buying a new edition if I don't have anyone to share it with?
:)

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
I said maybe, core books only because like many of you I have more 3e/3.5e material then I can use for the forseeable future. I'd buy the core books just to see how they changed the game and to support anything I might buy in the future and the translate it back to 3e/3.5e. I seriously doubt my group would go to another edition since we have so much to do in the current edition.

Also it would give me more money to spend on my girlfriend which of course she would like. ;)

Wombat

First Post
I said "I don't know", mainly because there is always the outside possibility that I might pick it up, but my history of D&D buying seems to work against it.

I started with OD&D, before there was AD&D or Beginner's Edition or anything. I subsequently dropped out when AD&D hit the market and didn't return until 3e. Then I didn't bother to make "the shift" to 3.5.

I expect most likely you'll see me playing D&D again somewhere around 7th or 8th edition ;)

Remove ads