Votes: 172 23.6%
  • I absolutely will not buy it

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 47 6.5%

Greylock

First Post
Dyne said:
...votes that say "I will buy it sight unseen," which I interpret as having no prior knowledge whatsoever about the given product...

The only publisher I purchase "sight unseen" is Necromancer. Green Ronin as well, before True D20, although I still buy their D20 products blind. Other than those two? Not many. Goodman Games has gotten much business from me, but I prefer to read up on the books first. Bastion as well. But Wizards has earned a poor enough reputation with me that I stopped buying their books seen, browsed, and flipped over and over, after perusing all the art and errata and what-not posted, very usefully, online . Which might now be only distributed via the DI.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I'm not sure. Right now, I'm in the "Buy it unseen!" mode, not so much out of a desire to play (I'm already well-invested in one D&D 3.5 campaign with an upcoming AE campaign), but rather from a design point-of-view, just to look what they've done with 4E.

But then, if a lukewarm preview occurs, I might hold it off, until I know more.

Cheers, LT.

Agamemnon

First Post
I'm out. I reckon as of next week, I'll start planning offloading all my current stock of 3.5 stuff while they still have value.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I have tons of 3.5E material yet unused ... enough for 5+ years or more. If it's close to 3.5 to allow easy conversion (as 3.5 was to 3.0), then possibly. But right now, not likely ...

I'll definitely buy the core books unless the previews reveal some really weird stuff that turns me off. However, as to whether I switch from 3.5 and buy lots of 4e books, it's too soon to say. I'm in the same situation as Olgar and many others on here -- I'd like to run Shackled City, Age of Worms and Savage Tide and it'll be easier to do this under the current rules we're all used to!

Cheers

Richard

Firedancer

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Right now, people are voting based almost exclusively on gut emotion and knee-jerk reaction.

Not me! My group and myself have invested a lot of money into 3.5 products (WotC and others), many modules still to be used in support of our own campaigns, not to mention the time in reading these! Add to this there's plenty of products we've not got yet, so there's still untapped resources.

3.5 does what we want well enough, and there are plenty of alternatives using similar mechanics if we are disatisfied with how its done in the core books.

4e will have to do several things better than current ed for us to be swayed. I've not closed my mind to it, but I would be really surprised if they had the improvements needed to have us purchase this.

I'm also a little put out by the Insider bit - many aspects of what they offer here was once free, and I'm not enarmoured with paying for it; and only a few aspects are actually of interest to me! Hope they get the pricing model right.

I suspect we might move to 4e if many of the great 3rd parties (paizo, necromancer etc) move along as well, meaning we can't share in new material.

So, no intention of buying it until after its released, gained favourable reviews in areas we would want improvement in and lack of support for the 3.5 environment.

Gez

First Post
I haven't bought anything new for a long time, and I have still a lot of sourcebooks I haven't even read... Don't see a need for me to get 4e.

That said, it's not a knee-jerk "no, never!", just a "not interested" -- so maybe, eventually...

Razz

Banned
Banned
This is it.

This is where I no longer offer my support to WotC anymore.

4E is way too damn early. There's nothing wrong with 3.5E. What the freaking hell...

I'm not buying 4E at all. WotC can shove it.

The only thing to get me to play 4E is if it's easy to convert the 3.5E stuff to 4E!

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Stating your opinion is great. Making disparaging remarks about other people's opinions will not be tolerated. Please keep the discussion civil.

Midknightsun

Explorer
Yeah, probably, but I'll still be interested to see any insights/previews. If it allows for quicker DM prep time, and is still a good system, I'm sold.

Remove ads