D&D 5E Will you continue to give WotC D&D your $$$

Have the microsoft suits at WotC otherwise gone too far?

Jahydin

Hero
Free League make RPGs for adults. The themes, art and writing are designed for adults to do in-depth and morally complex roleplaying. Path Finder and D&D are pitched at 13 year old boys. The art is cartoonish, the morality is black and white and the rules are combat focussed.
I couldn't help but read this in the Comic Book Guy's voice... :)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Aldarc

Legend
Free League make RPGs for adults. The themes, art and writing are designed for adults to do in-depth and morally complex roleplaying. Path Finder and D&D are pitched at 13 year old boys. The art is cartoonish, the morality is black and white and the rules are combat focussed.
I'm from Glasgow so hear Shrek's voice for more accuracy :D
I have no desire to return to my childhood or explore childlike experiences. I'm 50 years old. I want complexity and high art, I don't want to live in a state of perpetual arrested development. Why can't I have products pitched at the older gamer. Why do we all have to live in the mass market youth obsessed gaming sphere?
Despite what you may believe, you aren't exactly playing high art games pitched at adults by picking Free League games. Based upon the manufacturer suggested rating of 14+ for most of their games,* that makes you a 50-year-old playing a game pitched at 14-year-old kids. Hardly an upgrade in maturity as far as even Free League is concerned. But what do I know? Maybe it takes Glaswegians 50 years to be as mature as 14-year-olds elsewhere in the world. 🤷‍♂️

* Tales from the Loop's manufacturer suggested age is for 11 to 15 year olds.

Last edited:

Who's flaming anyone? So we all have to want your style of gaming or we're anti-gaming? Be serious.
You're flaming LITERALLY EVERYONE WHO PLAYS D&D lol!

That's what, 30 million people?
I don't want to live in a state of perpetual arrested development.
Buddy, that's flaming.
That's an atomic-grade flame.

The only reason this isn't a flamewar is that we're adults and this is utterly laughable and deeply '90s (in the WORST way possible lol) approach you're taking.
Why can't I have products pitched at the older gamer.
Free League's products aren't aimed there particularly. Some of them are even aimed at kids.

Aldarc

Legend
I don't know what you are trying to achieve with this? Seems you are rather fragile about your identity and are taking it out on others.
Hardly. My aims are simple and transparent. I'm pointing out that your asserted opinions about the appropriate maturity level of the products do not necessarily align with the publisher's own suggested ages for the products.
  • Pathfinder 2 is recommended for ages 13 and up, though Amazon posts the reading age as 16+
  • Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, and Alien are all recommended for ages 14 and up
At the end of the day, you are quibbling about the maturity level of games written for teenagers to buy and play.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases