Willow - Official Teaser Trailer

It’s a very clever film. But that kind of deliberate anachronism rubs some people the wrong way.

It took me a while to appreciate this about movies like this. Like I said, as a history student I had serious trouble enjoying historical movies when I noticed those things. But I also realized I was being a killjoy and I wasn't seeing the film for what it was (and the idea that rock music is less anachronistic than a string symphony started to strike me as ridiculous when people pointed that out to me). The fact is there are almost always anachronisms, even if they aren't as visible as a Queen song. A lot of Americans movies think nothing of using an English accent to convey this was set in the past (but that doesn't really make senses as Romans wouldn't have had British accents-----but it makes sense if you want the Romans to be perceived a certain way by an American audience). So you are going to have anachronisms just by virtue of the fact that you are trying to communicate with a modern audience.

MarkB

Legend
I think the latest episode is a bit of an improvement on recent entries, but it still had a few puzzlers.

The trolls were interestingly different than would be expected from their brief appearance in the movie, but overall I liked them. The contemporary speech patterns are still a little jarring - I was not expecting a troll to say "anywho".

How did it take Bardmartigan ten years to escape from that place? The way these people get around the mine's security is ridiculous. I can only assume that the Bone Reavers leader successfully freed all the slaves in the background, security was so lax.

More strong D&D-session vibes as Elora and Graydon carry out an entire unrelated conversation in the middle of combat. Would only have been mildly enhanced if one of them kept checking their phone.

The Airk scenes were mildly interesting, but I can't quite tell whether he's caught up in some kind of magic which inevitably leads him back to the city, or if he's just terrible at navigation.

The ending song is the most incongruous modern-music-insert yet, and I just can't tell what it was intended to relate to in the story - either of my best guesses seems like too much of a stretch.

Ryujin

Legend
It took me a while to appreciate this about movies like this. Like I said, as a history student I had serious trouble enjoying historical movies when I noticed those things. But I also realized I was being a killjoy and I wasn't seeing the film for what it was (and the idea that rock music is less anachronistic than a string symphony started to strike me as ridiculous when people pointed that out to me). The fact is there are almost always anachronisms, even if they aren't as visible as a Queen song. A lot of Americans movies think nothing of using an English accent to convey this was set in the past (but that doesn't really make senses as Romans wouldn't have had British accents-----but it makes sense if you want the Romans to be perceived a certain way by an American audience). So you are going to have anachronisms just by virtue of the fact that you are trying to communicate with a modern audience.
As the Ninth Doctor would say, "Lots of planets have a North."

Ryujin

Legend
I think the person who said they thought that the world of "Willow" was post apocalyptic might be on to something. Did anyone take a good look at the ruined city where Airk is being held? Would would a fantasy "medieval" city need 6 lane roads, let alone overpasses? It also has a modern style grid layout and a distinctly high-rise skyline.

MarkB

Legend
I think the person who said they thought that the world of "Willow" was post apocalyptic might be on to something. Did anyone take a good look at the ruined city where Airk is being held? Would would a fantasy "medieval" city need 6 lane roads, let alone overpasses? It also has a modern style grid layout and a distinctly high-rise skyline.
Yeah, definitely doesn't look like a medieval city. But not like any real-world modern city, either - the architecture is distinctive, and there's a proliferation of statues rivalling the size of the larger buildings. Maybe like a modern-day Roman Empire city, though it doesn't really have enough columns for that.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, definitely doesn't look like a medieval city. But not like any real-world modern city, either - the architecture is distinctive, and there's a proliferation of statues rivalling the size of the larger buildings. Maybe like a modern-day Roman Empire city, though it doesn't really have enough columns for that.
The huge statue thing seems to be a thing these days; Willow, Rings of Power, The Peripheral...

I think Willow is ripping off my D&D campaign! I used that "nothing" riddle a few months ago! Although I stole it from Baldur's Gate 2, so maybe it's not me being ripped off.

Remove ads