Willow - Official Teaser Trailer

I think the person who said they thought that the world of "Willow" was post apocalyptic might be on to something. Did anyone take a good look at the ruined city where Airk is being held? Would would a fantasy "medieval" city need 6 lane roads, let alone overpasses? It also has a modern style grid layout and a distinctly high-rise skyline.
This is overthinking it. Willow is neither medieval or post-apocalypse. It's quite deliberately ahistorical, which is why they put a piece of modern music in each episode to drive that point home.

Weird alien city is weirdly alien. GenericFantasyland is full of them.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I just started watching this tonight and, while it's not perfect, it's been a lot of fun for me. Warwick is especially entertaining. I'm glad that Disney decided to go through with this series.

Ryujin

Legend
This is overthinking it. Willow is neither medieval or post-apocalypse. It's quite deliberately ahistorical, which is why they put a piece of modern music in each episode to drive that point home.

Weird alien city is weirdly alien. GenericFantasyland is full of them.
Just pointing out that it seems a fair bit of effort was put into making the skyline look like a modern city. That's a fair bit away from 'weirdly alien' in that it looks quite familiar to modern viewers.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
The Airk scenes were mildly interesting, but I can't quite tell whether he's caught up in some kind of magic which inevitably leads him back to the city, or if he's just terrible at navigation.

The show is very D&D. Airk's player is the guy that shows up for the first session and then misses several. He was suppose to show up this week so the DM had him escape but the player bailed again at the last minute. So, the DM just threw the character back into the city.

Argyle King

Legend
Drastic change to the trolls from the movie.

They went from wild beasts to C-list Star Trek villains with Xena: Warrior Princess dialogue.

The show isn't what I would imagine would follow up on the movie. I still enjoy the show as something lighter to casually watch. I just had to mentally adjust to a very different tone, genre, and style.

Argyle King

Legend
Just because the trolls in the movie didn't speak, there was no reason to suppose they couldn't speak.

True

But I would say that bestial semi-upright movements and violent behavior while loitering in the ruins of civilization is noticeably different than being a suzerain of an elaborate underground complex and a slavery ring.

The episode's dialogue hints that maybe whatever Bavmorda did to help refine their worm-juice changed them in some way.

I still enjoy show. It's just very different than I thought it would be.

Remove ads