Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

Barak

First Post
Yay! XP!

If you want, I for one would have no problem with not getting XP, and simply being told when I gain a level, but obviously that's up to you. And if I get you correctly, we do not do a promotion check now, because we haven't leveled, right?

As an aside, my computer decided that I was allowed to see stuff behind the spoiler button today, so I'm up-to-date on that. :)

About the algerian conflict.. While I'm by no mean an expert, I do know the generalties of it, which is why I said I'd probably fall on the side of the FLN if I had to choose. Not that I would have taken up arms for it, but I do believe they were in the right. But still, it is one of those conflicts in which it's a bit harder to say which side was "in the right", unlike say, WWII.

The Shaman

First Post
Barak said:
If you want, I for one would have no problem with not getting XP, and simply being told when I gain a level, but obviously that's up to you.
For most of the adventures I've planned different awards for various outcomes, so that your exprience actually reflects the choices made by the characters - I rather like variability.
Barak said:
And if I get you correctly, we do not do a promotion check now, because we haven't leveled, right?
That's correct - I was just letting you know how it would work so you can anticipate it later. I expect that your characters will hit 3rd level sometime during this adventure or the early in the next.
Barak said:
As an aside, my computer decided that I was allowed to see stuff behind the spoiler button today, so I'm up-to-date on that. :)
I'm so glad my computer is reliable... *sound of knuckles tapping wood*
Barak said:
While I'm by no mean an expert, I do know the generalties of it, which is why I said I'd probably fall on the side of the FLN if I had to choose. Not that I would have taken up arms for it, but I do believe they were in the right. But still, it is one of those conflicts in which it's a bit harder to say which side was "in the right", unlike say, WWII.
I'd be curious to know what kind of Algeria could have existed if the moderates like Jacques Soustelle could have produced a policy of 'integration' that would have extended the rights of citizenship and made Algeria more than a department in name only. An Algeria with self-determination over internal affairs with all of the economic advantages of maintaining an interior relationship to France for foreign affairs, defense, trade, and so forth would have been something to see. Unfortunately the dialog and ultimately the outcome was dominated by the hard-liners on both sides.

Barak

First Post
The Shaman said:
I'd be curious to know what kind of Algeria could have existed if the moderates like Jacques Soustelle could have produced a policy of 'integration' that would have extended the rights of citizenship and made Algeria more than a department in name only. An Algeria with self-determination over internal affairs with all of the economic advantages of maintaining an interior relationship to France for foreign affairs, defense, trade, and so forth would have been something to see. Unfortunately the dialog and ultimately the outcome was dominated by the hard-liners on both sides.

I don't know though.. While that sort of thing worked to some degree in the past, in the end it usually is a bad idea, in my opinion, to try and group such different ethnicities under a same flag. Organizations such as NATO (and in it's current (and a some years in the past), the British Commonwealth) end up working better, I believe, by giving each member country their relative independance while presenting an united front to "outsiders".

Barak

First Post
Hmm just so you guys know, unless asked specifically, I'll stop "correcting" mistakes/weird translations in french, 'cause I'd guess it gets tedious for you guys, and doesn't really add much to the game. But I'll keep on chuckling to myself. :)

Bobitron

Explorer
Barak said:
Hmm just so you guys know, unless asked specifically, I'll stop "correcting" mistakes/weird translations in french, 'cause I'd guess it gets tedious for you guys, and doesn't really add much to the game. But I'll keep on chuckling to myself. :)

Chuckle and correct, in my case. I appreciate the help.

Barak

First Post
Well.. Since you asked.. :)

What brought that latest post of mine was, in your post, the expression "ciel interdit".

I gathered that it was a translated "Heavens Forbid". It is, after all, a perfectly accurate -literal- translation. But there is just no such expression in french, so it kinda took me for a loop, until I did the translation, and got your meaning. The rule of thumb is that babelfish, and other such on-line utilities aren't very good at translating expressions. They translate literally, and it most cases it will give you something weird to a native speaker.

On the other hand, I'm trying to think up of a french expression that conveys the same meaning, and coming up blank. Perhaps it's just that I don't get enough french-speaking these days, or that there isn't really such an expression. All I can think of are rather long sentences that would convey the sarcastic "wouldn't that be nice" thing.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hehe, I don't know why I even stick them in there, since we are speaking in French the whole time. It's fun, though. Thanks for the insight. :)

Barak

First Post
It's sort of funny to me anyway, since I tend to -think- about sticking such things in there all the time, but then I usually don't, because:

A-Like you said, our characters speak french most of the time to begin with,
B-Since it's my first language, I could easily do my whole posts in french,
C-It would just make you guys have to try and translate it.

So I usually only do it for the occasional "bad" word, like merde, for example, and even then I hesitate because we aren't supposed to swear on this board. Even though many of those words aren't really "swear" words in french, and can be said in school with no problem, for example.

Remove ads