• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

знаток

First Post
I'm very satisfied with everyone's responses to my questions. And please know that I meant no criticism at all about the Corcorans. I know their history well and appreciate them fully. As for the jump/landing stuff, I'm comfortable with the system. As you implied, Shaman, I'm confident you won't let us get ripped off. My completed character should be posted by morning.

The Shaman

First Post
House Rules Compendium

House Rules Compendium
The following house rules will be used in Wing and Sword. Please feel free to ask for clarification of any of these house rules at any time before or during play.

Parachuting
Parachuting is treated as jumping down from 20' - first make a Jump check (DC 15) to reduce the Reflex save DC by 1. A successful Tumble check (DC 15) reduces the Reflex save DC by 1 more. If a character makes successful Jump and Tumble checks, then the Reflex save is DC 10 - the character automatically takes 10 for no damage.

The character then makes a Reflex save (DC 10 +1 per ten feet fallen - so that's either DC 11 or 12, depending on the Jump check and Tumble check, if applicable); a successful save results in no damage rather than half damage. Failing the Reflex score by 5 or less results in 2d6 nonlethal damage; failing it by more than 5 results in 1d6 lethal damage and 1d6 nonlethal damage.

Suppression Fire (adapted from Charles Rice’s Ultramodern Firearms)
Suppression fire, also called “covering fire,” is used to pin down an enemy and disrupt his ability to move or attack. Suppressing fire is a special attack.

To perform suppressing fire, a character must use a semiautomatic or automatic ranged weapon. The character targets an area equal to or greater than 30’ away. The character threatens that square until the beginning of his next turn. This requires the expenditure of 5 bullets.

Any character starting in or moving into, out of, or through the threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity and must make a Cool check (qv). Attacks of opportunity incur a -4 circumstance modifier to hit unless the character has the Suppressive Fire feat.

Cool Checks (adapted from Rich Redman’s article Cool under Fire from the “Notes from the Bunker” series)
This rules variant requires each combatant to make a "cool check" at GM’s discretion during combat and other dangerous encounters – likely instances requiring Cool checks include taking damage from melee or ranged weapons, coming under suppression fire, or performing an activity which requires multiple skill checks to complete (such as climbing a high cliff). Any time a GM decides that a life-or-death situation requires characters to act in initiative order, Cool checks may occur. The system applies to GM characters as well as to heroes, since they too can suffer the effects of losing their cool.

Making Cool Checks
To make a cool check, roll 1d20 and add your hero's total Will saving throw bonus and the modifiers for his starting occupation and the situation (see tables below). The DC for a cool check is always 15. Characters cannot take 10 or 20 on cool checks -- if they could, the situation wouldn't be tense enough to merit one in the first place. A hero may spend action points on a cool check, and the usual rules for spending action points apply.

Succeeding on Cool Checks
Any hero who succeeds on a cool check can act normally for that round. Additional benefits apply for success by a significant margin. The following benefits seem appropriate.

Success by a margin of 5 to 10 grants the hero a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and cool checks until her next action.

Success by a margin of 10 or more grants her the same morale bonus as above and also grants the same bonus to each of her allies within 30 feet. This bonus lasts until the successful hero's next action.

As noted below, however, the cumulative penalty for each successive round ensures that she will fail eventually if the combat continues long enough. The consequences for failure warrant caution even from those who succeed in keeping their cool.

Failing Cool Checks
The consequences of failing a cool check depend on how badly the character fails. See the Character Condition Summary in Chapter Five: Combat of the d20 Modern Roleplaying Game for explanations of the conditions mentioned below.

Failure by a margin of 5 or less means the hero is stunned for 1 round.

Failure by a margin of 5 to 10 means the character is shaken, and the -2 penalty for that condition applies to subsequent cool checks as well. Such a character remains shaken until he succeeds at a cool check (see Succeeding at Cool Checks, above), fails a cool check by 10 or more (see below), or the encounter ends.

Failure by a margin of 10 or more means the character is panicked. If he can move far enough in a single round to be out of sight of the combat, he flees. Otherwise, he moves behind the nearest source of total cover (GM's decision) and cowers. The character continues to make cool checks every round but suffers no consequences for additional failures.

Recovering your Cool
At the end of an encounter, every surviving and conscious character makes a final cool check. Those who succeed can act normally; those who fail become fatigued. (See the Character Condition Summary in Chapter Five: Combat of the d20 Modern Roleplaying Game for an explanation of this condition.)

Code:
Cool Check Modifiers from Starting Occupations
Occupation 	Modifier
Academic	-2
Adventurer	+1
Athlete	+1
Blue Collar	+1
Celebrity	-2
Creative	-2
Criminal	+2
Dilettante	-2
Doctor	+2
Emergency Services	+2
Entrepreneur	+1
Investigative	+1
Law Enforcement	+3
Military	+3
Religious	+1
Rural	+0
Student	-2
Technician	+0
White Collar	-1

Code:
Cool Check Modifiers from Events and Conditions
Event or Condition	Modifier
Each round of combat after the first (cumulative)	-1
Taking damage since your last action	...
...1-5 points	-1
...6-10 points	-2
...Enough to force a massive damage check	-3
Opponents used explosives since your last action	-2
Opponents used fire (white phosphorous, flame thrower, etc.) since your last action	-2
Opponents outnumber heroes	-1
Opponents have automatic weapons and heroes don't	-1
One or more opponents acted in the surprise round	-1
Each ally rendered unconscious, disabled, or dying since your last action	-2
Each ally panicked or cowering since your last action	-1
Each ally pinned since your last action	-1
A successful Intimidate check against you	-1
Heroes outnumber opponents	+1
Heroes have automatic weapons and opponent's don't	+1
One or more heroes acted on the surprise round	+1
Each opponent rendered unconscious, disabled, or dying since your last action	+2
Each opponent panicked or cowering since your last action	+1
Each opponent pinned since your last action	+1
Because of the first entry on this table (the cumulative penalty for each round of combat after the first), everyone will eventually fail a cool check. That's pretty realistic.

Vehicle Acceleration
From a standing start a vehicle may move up to one-quarter its maximum speed on the first round, one-half its maximum speed on the second round, and maximum speed on the third and subsequent rounds.

If a vehicle in motion is operated at less than half-speed, the vehicle may increase its speed by one-quarter its maximum speed on the next round and may move at maximum speed each round thereafter until its speed drop to less than one-half maximum.

знаток

First Post
Barak said:
First, my thoughts on the questions posed, for what they're worth. :)

The parachute thing. The main "problem" here is.. What, in game terms, constitute a trained-paratrooper? Is it someone who maxed out jump and tumble? And, more importantly, what level is that person? And we haven't figured out any feats/occupations that might make those go higher, not unlikely for a "pro" paratrooper.

Good point. I guess I wasn't really thinking of it that way. In reality, there's a very good chance that someone untrained in Parachute Landing Falls (PLFs) would suffer a serious injury, maybe 25-40%, and probably more like 60-75% that they would sustain some type of injury. The training is intensive though, and pre-paratroopers typically do many, many simulated jumps from 5 to 10 ft platforms. Before any proficiency jump, a paratrooper performs at least three practice PLFs from a platform, and the impact of these is typically greater than the one experienced during an actual jump. Rarely do you land coming straight down. So if any adjustments should be made, it should not be to the risk of the action, but to the competency of the characters performing it as a result of training. But alas, this is not a game about parachuting, so let's not worry about it too much. I just like talking about it. :lol:

Shaman - Is my desire to be the communications guy feasible? If not, my skills will probably change.

Last edited:

Barak

First Post
Good point. I guess I wasn't really thinking of it that way

Hey, I do that all the time.. That's one of the big problem of any class-based system. No matter the background, characters of low levels cannot be experts at -anything-. I often have to remind myself of that. :)

As for the cool system. If I got it, Normand would have a cool modifier of +1 (+1 occupation), correct?

Will post my character in the rogue's gallery right after this.

The Shaman

First Post
знаток said:
Shaman - Is my desire to be the communications guy feasible? If not, my skills will probably change.
This is as good a time as any to give you a brief look at the platoon structure of the 1er REP.

The platoon consists of three sections (squads). The section is broken down into two groups (fire teams), the LMG team and the assault (choc, 'shock') team. The LMG team consists of a team leader (caporal-chef, 'corporal'), gunner (tireur), ammo carrier (pourvoyeur), and a rifleman (grenadier-voltigeur). The team leader carries a MAT-49 SMG, the gunner the AAT-52 LMG, and the others the MAS-49/56 rifle. The assault team consists of a team leader and three grenadier-voltiguers, all armed with MAT-49s. The section leader (chef de groupe) is a sergeant who is accompanied by a radioman (who is literally called the 'radio').

Three sections plus an HQ section consisting of the platoon leader (usually a lieutenant), platoon sergeant (sergeant or warrant officer, adjutant), 'radio,' tireur, pourvoyeur, and grenadier-voltigeur make up a platoon.

Now as far as being the commo guy: I wrote first two adventures around the idea that the four characters are the grenadier-voltigeurs in a section assault team. Your character could definitely be the section radio instead, however. Bear in mind that you will need to be glued to the sergeant's hip - I can definitely make the encounters work this way, so that's not an issue for me, but it may cut into some of your personal heroics while providing interesting opportunities for roleplay. Are you up for that?
Barak said:
No matter the background, characters of low levels cannot be experts at -anything-. I often have to remind myself of that. :)

As for the cool system. If I got it, Normand would have a cool modifier of +1 (+1 occupation), correct?
Good point, Barak - I think of the player characters as 'nascent heroes,' a full cut-above the unwashed masses in terms of potential but with a steep hill to climb before they fully realize that promise.

In this case, your characters are about to make their final training jump, and I don't think I'll be giving away too many details if I mention that there's a better than average chance it will also be their first combat jump as well. They have completed the training that знаток describes - hence the required rank in Jump - but there is still a difference between a practice jump and the real deal. The margin of error is a little greater, though not overwhelming IMHO, particularly by d20 game standards. (There are more dangerous CR 2 traps in the 3.5 DMG than these paradrop rules.)

Coming back to the idea of class-based mechanics, in all likelihood by the time you make your second combat jump, you characters will have added at least a level, maybe two, meaning possibly more ranks in Jump, a better Reflex save, and possibly an attribute bump, further reducing the risk of a hard landing and an injury - and if the worst happens, you have a more hit points. And as always, Action Points are your friend...

We'll try it out and see how it works - if necessary, I'm more than happy to make an adjustment on the fly. Based on my playtests, I don't anticipate any serious problems.

As an aside, I do have you all thinking about it, which is what your characters would be doing as well, so I've achieved at least one of my goals already... :]

Yes, Normand has a +1 to his Cool checks for the Athlete starting occupation.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Everything looks awesome. Now that everyone has the characters wrapped up, when do you expect we can start? I'm a bit anxious :heh:

I appreciate all the work you're putting into this, Shaman. It puts some a couple of the other games I've played into sharp contrast:)

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
Everything looks awesome. Now that everyone has the characters wrapped up, when do you expect we can start? I'm a bit anxious :heh:
I have some honey-dos to finish for my SO, but I should have the game thread up Saturday evening, Sunday morning at the latest.
Bobitron said:
I appreciate all the work you're putting into this, Shaman.
My pleasure. I hope the game creates a believable illusion AND provides plenty of action and adventure.

Speaking of prep, I posted a list of books and films on the first page of the thread, and I'm starting to flesh out the glossary. If I use a French word or phrase for flavor, I will try to add it to the glossary so you can look it up if you're not sure what it means (or in case I completely muck it up, for Barak's benefit to know what I was trying to say...my French is quite rusty, and wasn't very good when it was shiny and new, either).

Last edited:

Barak

First Post
Heh you think you have a problem with your french being rusty. Look at my situation.

I'm a native french speaker, who now speaks french about 20 minutes/week (when I call my mom) playing a character who solely speaks french, but in english. With many expressions and slang being untranslatable, it makes thing very weird.

For a purely statistical view of character goals.. Depending on how the game develops, I am seriously considering the advanced career of soldier. I think it would make sense considering the game. Just figured I'd let you know, as I know I prefer, as a DM, if my players let me know of prestige classes or what-not they may be considering.

The Shaman

First Post
THE GAME THREAD IS UP!: Wing and Sword: Chat et Souris

Important note: Please remember to use the Vacuum Elemental dice roller. When called upon to make a check, it would be helpful if you could link your database page with the results - for example:

Jump check: 22
Reflex save: 8 + 6 for 1 AP = 14
Spot check: 16

If you're having any problems using the dice roller or linking to the database, please let me know.

(BTW, gotta love those Action Points!)

For those of you who haven't played in a play-by-post game, there is a "training manual" with advice on posting in the game thread that you might find helpful - the manual was originally created by Luris Blear, a Game Master for the WotC "d20 Modern Games" board. The section on "narrative posting" offers good advice, IMHO. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask, but please remember to post all out-of-character conversation in THIS thread, not the game thread, which should be limited to in-character interaction as much as possible.
Barak said:
Depending on how the game develops, I am seriously considering the advanced career of soldier. I think it would make sense considering the game. Just figured I'd let you know, as I know I prefer, as a DM, if my players let me know of prestige classes or what-not they may be considering.
Thank you - I appreciate that.

I plan on asking everyone at the end of the first adventure - gives everyone a chance to get a feel for their character and the game, IMX. This doesn't mean you have to commit to one until you're ready, but it does give me some idea of how you see the character developing.

In the meantime though, the bled awaits...

GAME ON!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads