Wing and Sword: Life During Wartime

The Shaman

First Post
The patrol sets off across the field, each man with his weapon at the ready. The wheat is still green and about stands knee-high, sussing softly with each step the paras take toward the cluster of farm buildings. The wheat field offers one-quarter concealment (10% miss chance) and no cover.

The farm looks like many that surround Portemonte, perhaps a bit more prosperous than most. To the north along a low hill stands an orange grove, the trees fat with young fruit – a gray steel water tank overlooks the farm from among the citrus trees.

Clustered around a dirt yard are several structures. Ahead of the paras is a tall barn, painted white like all the buildings, with a red shingle roof. The west end, facing the paras as they cross the field, has both a lower set of double-doors and an upper loft entry, above which hangs a pulley from a cantilever beam. The lower doors are closed, but the door to the loft is open – shadows lie beyond.

A small goat shed and fenced enclosure is just north of the barn – several brown and black goats can be seen lazing in the pen, seemingly unconcerned by the armed men stalking through the field.

Northeast of the barn is the farmhouse, a two story clapboard structure with a tile roof surrounded by a low stone wall, maybe five feet high. Several small trees can be seen behind the wall at the back of the farmhouse – two large oaks dominate the front, one sporting a leafy green canopy, the other dead and bare. White lace curtains can be seen through the windows of the house.

Across the yard to the east is a stable – a pair of horse stand idly in two corrals made of steel pipe. A trough is situated between the farmhouse and the stable. Around the yard are parked a wooden wagon and a horse trailer, nearest the stable, and a utility trailer, south and east of the barn.

Beyond the yard are several haystacks and a low, mud-brick building with whitewashed walls and shuttered windows – not far away is what appears to be a small shed or outbuilding of some kind, the purpose of which is not immediately apparent.

To the south of the yard, immediately across from the farmhouse, is the entrance drive, lined with arrow-straight poplars sporting green leaves that shake and rattle with the slightest breeze. The farm itself is still, bathed in golden light by the setting sun.

As the patrol advances, Vidal asks Nedjar, “How far do you think we are from camp, Nedjar?” “Five or six kilometers, maybe.” the legionnaire replies, glancing about at the countryside. “Not too far.” Vidal scans the farm as he walks, and a slight motion catches his eye – from the loft of the barn, something moving in the shadows.

Attachments

• WaS farm game map.zip
    901.7 KB · Views: 110

знаток

First Post
What the hell was that? Vidal increases his pace to catch Sgt. Katsourianis. "Don't stop us sergent, but I just saw some movement up in the loft. Should I call it in yet?"

Bobitron

Explorer
Marcel notes Vidal's head jerk slightly toward the barn and his conversation with Sgt. Katsourianis. He must see something...

Slowing his pace a bit, Marcel carefully looks over the area ahead, focusing his attention on the buidlings.

ooc: Spot 7, Listen 6 from our favorite deaf and blind medic. :p

The Shaman

First Post
“Don't stop us sergent, but I just saw some movement up in the loft. Should I call it in yet?” Vidal asks Sgt. Katsourianis as the patrol crosses the field.

Kat’s eyes look toward the barn, but before the section leader can answer, a shot rings out from the loft.

Initiative checks, please – Vidal is -2 Str and Dex due to fatigue, so no bonus to his Init roll.

Bobitron

Explorer
Marcel drops to his knees and raises his rifle as the shot echoes over the tips of the wheat. He raises his carbine to his shoulder and peers through the iron sights through the swaying grains.

ooc: Init is an 8.

The Shaman

First Post
The report of the rifle echoes across the field as the legionnaires drop prone among the wheat stalks, all but Sgt. Katsourianis who spins and falls in a heap.

Nedjar and Pamuk both fire their submachine guns at the open door to the loft, the staccato followed a moment later by a long burst from Ortu and the AAT-52. Wood splinters fly from the side of the barn as the bullets pepper the walls around the doorway. Vidal’s eyes search the shadows beyond, but no sign can be seen of the rifleman.

“Medic!” comes the call from Nedjar over the din. “Wait, Fortier,” orders Sgt. Müller, his hand raised. “Ortu, suppression fire!” the German calls out to the tireur.

Initiative order:
Fellagha 16
Choc (Nedjar, Pamuk) 15
Pyotr 13
NCOs (Müller, Katsourianis) 12
Marcel, Vidal 8
MG (Sembène, Ortu, Syrovy, Asmussen) 4
Normand 1

Range to the loft doorway is 110’ for Vidal, 160’ for Normand and Pyotr, and 260’ for Marcel. Sgt. Katsourianis is about 20’ from Vidal, 150’ from Marcel.

There’s no new map since no one’s moved yet.

знаток

First Post
Idiot, Portuguese, 1 each

Vidal dives wide-eyed to the ground and scrambles for his radio. At seeing the sergeant fall, his first thought is of his own terrible failure at making a timely, wise decision in response to the now obvious warning his senses had provided for him. The fatigue may have made his sight a little more sensitive (now apparently similar to the effect of a horrendous hangover) but as also with a hangover, it hadn't been very forgiving with the sharpness of his mind. In the moment of confusion one word screamed in his mind...HELP! Frantically he keys the radio, his voice reflecting well his state of mind as he looks around for the best options for position and other threats. "Tango 3, this is Tango 31 Blue! MAN DOWN AT THE FARM!"

Knowledge Check (Technology): 12
Knowledge Check (Military Science): 17
Spot: 16
The Idiot Rookie...Who Else? said:
What is our distance from the loft at the time of the shot?
I also must have been suffering from fatigue when I viewed the map, as I failed to notice the tiny dots that are we (or the scale apparently). I was assuming we were grouped closely (within about 50-75') and that we were 400-500' or more from the barn, or I probably would've reacted more defensively. Pay attention to detail you Portuguese fool! Sorry all (especially Sergeant Kat). :(

Remove ads