Wing and Sword: Life During Wartime

Barak

First Post
[sblock]
Walking to one of the free bunks, and dumping what few gear he has with his in front of it, Normand turns towards his russian companion, a grin on his face.

"Cripes Pyotr, you know what they heard. Even though we're fresh recruits, we're twice the légionnaires that they are, we spit bullets at the fells, and would just as soon rip your head off as look at you, as mean as we are."

Pausing, Normand's grin gets slightly bigger, and he continues..

"Or... They might be saying we got lucky, but that would be a terrible, terrible lie."
[/sblock]

Bobitron

Explorer
[sblock] Marcel peeks into the tent before entering, taking in the scene. He thanks Gaston with a freindly smile, and steps in.

Impatient man said:
“Who the devil are you, and what do you want?”

"I'm looking for Duke? Marcel Fortier, reporting."[/sblock]

The Shaman

First Post
Marcel...[sblock]"I'm looking for Duke? Marcel Fortier, reporting."

The man sitting at the table throws his pen on the floor, fumbles for a pair of wire-rimmed glasses that are hastily slipped on. Nom de Dieu! ‘Duke’? What the devil is ‘Duke’? You mean ‘Dutch’? French batards.”

From behind the lenses his pale blue eyes light on Marcel. The man appears to be in his early thirties, with strawberry blonde hair worn short but lacking the typical Legion buzzcut and a thin beard. In the tee-shirt it’s easy to see his farmers’ tan – nut brown arms and face, pale white body and legs. He’s thin but the ropy muscles on his arms and legs suggest that he is stronger than he looks. His French is clean, with a slightly northern accent.

Putain French like to have their putain jokes,” he continues. “Call me ‘Dutch’, or ‘Duc’, again and you’ll get a ground-glass enema, and then we’ll see how funny you are. Batards,” he finishes lamely. He stares a Marcel for a moment, as if something is registering itself in his consciousness. “Reporting for what?”

He looks Marcel over, perhaps seeing the musette bag with the red cross stenciled on it hanging from Marcel’s shoulder for the first time. “You’re a new medic? You have orders?”

He tilts the glasses up on his head to read the mimeograph. “About damn time. This lump of merde – ” he motions at the sleeping form on the next cot “ – can’t handle one platoon, let alone two. Finally Olivier sees this.” He shakes his head, lets the glasses fall onto his nose. “Joep Bestebreurtje. I’m the senior medic. That’s Bazyli Zawadzki.” He jerks his head in the direction of the empty cot. “That’s yours. Normally this is our operating theatre, but if someone’s badly hurt we’ll take him to the doctor’s office in town. Better light.” He gets up, hunts for his pen on the canvas floor.

“The CO is taking three platoons into the field tomorrow morning. Third platoon will be staying here. You can stay with them. Get to know where everything is while we’re gone, take care of sick call.” He pulls off the glasses again, tosses them haphazardly on the table, and gets down on his hands and knees, finally locating the pen under his own cot. “Now I have a letter to finish,” he says, resuming his seat. As he holds the pen over the paper, he adds, without looking up, “I’m Belgian. Not Dutch. French batards.”[/sblock]I’m giving знаток a chance to post before updating the other legionnaires’ convo.

знаток

First Post
[sblock]
Barak said:
Even though we're fresh recruits, we're twice the légionnaires that they are...
Vidal moves toward a bunk near Asmussen and starts unloading what he's got, placing his spare jump boots neatly under the bunk before tossing his bag on top. He makes eye contact with Asmussen and laughs quietly at Normand's remark, under the assumption that it was a bad joke. "I'll rack up here for now, if it's good with you."
He's somewhat glad not to have his footlocker just yet, looking more forward to a good night's sleep without all the unpacking and settling in. [/sblock]

The Shaman

First Post
Normand, Pyotr, and Vidal...[sblock]The husky legionnaire, Ortu, snorts derisively at Normand’s joke. Bandarra, he mutters, stuffing the copy of Paris-Match under his pillow as rolls on his side, away from the newcomers.

Nedjar, the boot-polisher, raises his eyebrows at the comment. “From what’s been said, it was the Air Force that saved your section out there. Either way, look around – everyone here has made two combat jumps already this year, so you have some catching up to do.” He dips the rag in his hand into the can of polish and resumes his work on the boots.

Vidal looks to Asmussen, a muscular blond kid. "I'll rack up here for now, if it's good with you." The legionnaire glances at Vidal and gives his concurrence with a quick tilt of his head.

Sergent Kat speaks up. “Listen up. The rest of the company is moving out in the morning, and Third Platoon is guarding the camp in their absence.” Ortu mutters something unintelligible from his cot. “The lieutenant has a run planned in the morning and we’ll be policing the camp in the afternoon. You, big man – ” he points at Normand “ – you’ll be with Corporal Kovic to learn the grenade launcher.” He glances at his watch. “I don’t know what the lieutenant has planned, but it’s going to be hot early so get some sleep.” He nods at Sembène and ducks out of the tent flap. The legionnaires settle into their own thoughts.[/sblock]

Barak

First Post
[sblock]
Normand keeps his grin on as the others respond to his attempt at banter, and then it disappears.

"Yeah, seriously, it was not the most fun I've had ever had.. And yeah, it was very, very nice to see those planes fly by."

Once the assignment is explained, and his own part in it given, Normand nods.

"Aye, aye, sarge. Grenade launcher sounds good to me."

Sitting on his bed, he then unlaces his boots, swings his legs up on the bed, and lays down, hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling quietly.
[/sblock]

Bobitron

Explorer
[sblock]
Dutch said:
As he holds the pen over the paper, he adds, without looking up, “I’m Belgian. Not Dutch. French batards.”

"Hey, sorry. I didn't give you the nickname." Marcel heads wearily to the bunk, tossing his gear underneath. "Where are you all headed tomorrow?"

"I'm going to get some sleep. It was a bumpy ride. Good night, caporal-chef".

I need to get that damn Vieux back, throwing me under the bus like that, he chuckles to himself. Pulling out a Gauloise, he lights it and sits on the edge of the cot. When the cigaretter is done, he takes off the majority of his uniform and falls into a restful sleep.[/sblock]

The Shaman

First Post
Marcel...[sblock]“We’re going to walk up and down the mountains while the sector infantry sits on their arses in their trucks waiting for us to flush some putain fellagha with a rusty shotgun and a switchblade out of the hills.” The medic looks at Marcel. “It’s called ratissage. You’ll get your turn very soon.” The caporal-chef returns to his letter without further comment.[/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
[sblock]Pyotr half smiles at the interaction between his friend and his platoon mates. It was going to be interesting to see what got them first, being shot or one-upmanship. Barely stopping to unlace his boots, Pyotr kicks them to the floor and then straightens them neatly under his bed. Removing his top shirt and folding it squarely, he then straightens his under shirt before lying back on the rack. He hoped that for once he could get more than an hour or two of sleep. [/sblock]

The Shaman

First Post
The echoing call of the bugle cuts through the quiet of the early morning, rousing the legionnaires in their tents. Corporal Sembène’s voice can be heard before the final clear notes of the clairon sound. “Alright, fall in for roll call. No smocks. We’re running this morning.” His French is melodic, pleasing to the ear.

The legionnaires are quiet as they grab their boots and trousers and in a few minutes Third Platoon is assembled before the watchful eyes of Sergeant Müller. The rest of the company is up and moving as well, but as Third Platoon calls the roll and performs some warm-up calisthenics, the other paras are loading up on the company’s small supply of trucks, combat gear in hand. With a raspy roar, the deuce-and-a-halfs roll out of camp, leaving the men of Third Platoon and a handful of the headquarters platoon, including one newly arrived medic, to the drab tent-city.

Sgt. Müller leads the run at a brisk pace along a dusty road that runs past the farms on the outskirts of Portemonte. The men sing as they run the 5km: Contre les Viets, the chant of the 1st REP leads off, followed by Le Boudin, Les Képis Blanc, Aux Legionnaires, and Ich hatte einen kamaraden, the deep voices of the men carrying the melody as their thudding boots beat rhythmically on the dry earth. From fields and farmhouses, workers stare and little children, and the occasional young woman, wave at the legionnaires as they pass. The run includes two leaps over an irrigation ditch – a couple of the paras end up in the dirty water, to the clear amusement of their comrades.

In the infirmary Marcel is left to his own devices – after a hasty introduction to Bazyli, the third medic, he awaits sick call. Only one man arrives, his left wrist in a plaster cast. He introduces himself as Ivo Kovic, a grenadier, and reports that Bestebreurtje gave him until the end of the week before the cast is removed. After checking the man’s fingers for sensation and circulation and learning that the injury came in a fall from the back of the company’s weapons carrier, he bids Kovic well and enters his notations on the Austrian legionnaire’s chart.

Back at camp following the run, sergent Müller addresses the legionnaires as they recover their breath. Third Platoon is responsible for guarding the camp, he explains. There will be a rotation - each section will take its turn: one day policing the camp and performing kitchen patrol, one day of sentry duty, one day of local patrol. Third section draws the first shift as sentries while second will head for the hills outside town – first section draws KP and trash pick-up. Everyone in the platoon secretly believes that his unit has drawn the short stick.

Vidal and Pyotr are sent off with cloth bags and sharpened sticks to pick up trash around the camp – Normand finds himself tapped for scrubbing latrines by sergent Katsourianis. At lunch the replacements find themselves scrubbing trays while the rest of the men jaw and smoke. After lunch, a simple affair prepared by the one remaining cook in camp, Vidal and Pyotr are sent to sweep the officers’ tents while Normand is entrusted to the care of caporal-chef Ivo Kovic, the platoon grenadier – the two men spend the afternoon on the practice range firing dummy grenades from the MAS-49/56 over various obstacles. Kovic wears a cast, an injury from a fall, he explains - the grenadier-chef is a pleasant and patient instructor and soon Normand feels comfortable, if not completely at home with, the rifle grenades that will be his to use in battle.

Marcel orients himself to the infirmary, checking the supplies, Lt. Olivier’s instructions fresh in his mind. Whatever Bestebreurtje’s failings as a human being, the infirmary is a model of efficiency.

The men are released at 1700 from their duties after a final perfunctory formation, where first section learns it will make a patrol on Wednesday, and retire to the mess tent for supper. Marcel finds himself in line behind his three comrades from Blida.

Remove ads