Winter IrondDM (Winner)!

incognito

First Post
Round 2, set 1

Quickbeam vs Nifft

Quickbeam and Nifft have submitted similar adventures – which is to be expected as several of the ingredients (Mistaken flag of truce) point to an adventure where our heroes, the PCs, must set to rights a misunderstanding.

First pass: Quickbeam’s web of deceit is more devious, and has more imaginative resolution – the White flag with the magic mouth, triggered to speak when the armor was present is a very tidy wrap up. I like tidy! I also like the Gnomes vs. the dwarves angle, and how the Blind Dire Ape is a central figure in the story. BUt why not have the Ape's tearing out of his own eye's distort the predictions? Quickbeam’s use of Dwarven stone work is an unusual stretch of the ingredient – I liked it for its creativity – but I can’t help but feeling that it was too much of a stretch.

I liked Nifft’s timeline approach better – the PCs can be inserted into his proposed adventure at various times using Nifft’s various hooks. His mistaken flag of truce is quite a bit more believable than Quickbeam’s – even if it is less ingenious. Dwarven stone work is incorporated into the story, in a good, if straightforward manner. I also like the scenery of the island, although it has nothing to do with the ingredient s, it IS pretty (and the 2 tribes are “survivor”- esque)!

I’m not so sure that either sorcerer is very lucky. One is stranded on an island with magical loot of questionable value, with the possibility to two tribes hunting for him, and no wilderness survival skills. The other is a walking a fine line -> creatively interpreting divinations from a temporal oracle, who could reveal him at any time.

Both rods of the python were plot devices, pure and simple – neither added much directly (ie WHY a rod of the python – IronDM hopefuls should always ask themselves that question). If I had to pick, I’d pick Nifft’s because at least his stays a rod – Quickbeams is a staff for a brief moment :)

A quick mention of the good use of NPCs - particularly Niffts. Not only are their motivations clear as a result of back story, but also because Nifft spells out explicitly how they will react to individuals. good job Nifft!

I didn’t like either stories viscous circle – I was looking for a CLEAR: “chain of events in which the response to one difficulty creates a new problem that aggravates the original difficulty” Nifft's got a conflict that becomes more thorny as the result of both sides losing magic items. Not especially viscious. Quickbeam’s got the sorcerer’s liberally interpreted visions, which if the party overcomes obstacles he’s set in their way, causes him to craft increasingly desperate interpretations to preserve his original lie. I guess I like Quickbeam’s a bit better...but not much.

I don’t like a semi-powerful dwarven sorcerer without a great in-story reason, because of the racial CHA penalty. And a flock of dwarven druids, although druids have a decent amount of stone affecting spells, is somewhat of a reach. Also, it feels like Quickbeam could've gone higher level with this one, and gotten away with it.

I HATE Quickbeam’s conclusion paragraph: “Any use of comprehend languages will reveal that much of Kragen’s statements have been lies, for the runic dwarven stonework holds the true prophecies.” Don’t have it be this easy Quickbeam! That's a L1 spell! After all that set up – have the party figure it out – or have the ape give an odd divination to the party directly (a Dwarf, or a Druid/Ranger – the DM can make the fit!) . And his encounters section seems unneeded (all 11 words of it). I’m not really fond of Nifft’s conclusions either, though. I suspect in all likelihood the party will be fire balled to death before they find the Sorcerer (flying/invisible), or just team up with one side or the other and take out the opposing tribe (survivor style – and probably earn a nice chunk of XP too :D )

So, what are left with? Well...I was left with my first pass impression: Quickbeam’s plot is more cleverly devious –and is more likely to run true to intent, and so I award the round to him. Funny, because for a full 4 hours, I had sided with Nifft. Oh, and length – guys, seriously. Do what you have to do to get it down, but get it down. My eyes glazed over on both entries. If one had been 500 words shorter, it was so close, they shorter entry would’ve won.

Please post exposition

Last edited:

incognito

First Post
mythago and seasong:

Can you both go tomorow?? Your ingredients are still brewing.

On the "decent, not outstanding" comment: Both entires were better than decent, I'll 'fess up! :)

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
Wednesday morning, 8:00am CST, I will be ready anytime from that point forward. As long as we start after that, when ever is most convenient for mythago (8am, noon, whatever) is good for me.

Last edited:

Majicthise

First Post
Congrats to both Quickbeam and Nifft. From Incognito's remarks it's pretty clear that this was a really close one. Good luck in the next round, Quickbeam.

Quickbeam

Explorer
I'm going to combine my exposition with some brief replies to our honorable judge in this post...but first, let me just say WOW!! It was a very close contest, and I feel genuinely fortunate to have prevailed against Nifft in this battle. Incidentally, I think he may have had the single best entry overall in the opening round. I look forward to meeting either seasong or mythago in the Finals, and can't wait to see their list of ingredients tomorrow morning ;)!

EXPOSITION:
Among all the ingredient lists given to me in the two Iron DM tournaments in which I've participated, this was my second favorite group of theme elements. The blind dire ape practically jumped off the page and screamed O-R-A-C-L-E to me, and I loved the idea of recording the ape's prophecies in rune form as a neat tie in to the dwarven stonework. Right off the bat two ingredients had become integral parts of my story. I spent more time detailing the development of these items than I should have, but the images were too clear for me to skimp.

As Incognito mentions in the critique of our round, the mistaken flag of truce forces part of the plot design by dictating that somewhere along the line a misunderstanding has occurred. I decided to have some fun here. First by pitting traditional allies in dwarves and gnomes against each other, and second by having the flag fail to deliver its magic mouth message to create the mistaken peace offering. Also, the gnomes made sense IMO, because as a people they favor snakes and burrowing mammals, and equipping their Field General with the Rod of the Python fit nicely. It also offered a fantastic means of creating the initial battlefield confusion. So I had the ape predict an invasion which would force the dwarves to seek assistance from their gnomish neighbors.

Now I had a clear foundation for my adventure. The dwarves and gnomes hate and distrust one another; both sides possess a key to solving the years of confusion; the dwarves have become reliant on a blind ape Oracle who can only speak in cryptic riddles; the precitions are recorded by druids through stone shape creating a cave filled with runes. So I crafted Kragen as the dwarves go-between with the Oracle, granting him a position of power and influence...and a desire for more. I felt he worked well as both the adventure's primary villain, and the very lucky sorcerer. The vicious circle/cycle then became Kragen bringing false prophecies to increase his power; raising questions among the dwarves; which leads to more meetings with the Oracle; forcing more lies to keep the house of cards intact.

JUDGMENT:
As I stated above, I'll be brief.
** I appreciate all of the positive feedback with regards to the magic mouth flag and armor scenario; the gnomes vs. the dwarves backdrop; and blind Oracle ape. The idea that the physical act of blinding might distort the visions never occurred to me...but I like it now :D.
** I'm glad you found the runes to be a clever use of the dwarven stonework element, but I'm not sure why you feel it was a stretch. Perhaps you can elaborate at some point?
** I thought my sorcerer was very lucky to find himself in the perfect position to assume leadership of Thoren-Bor. However, I would agree that placing him in the party's crosshairs and forcing him to creatively interpret divinations make him somewhat less lucky.
** My mention of the Rod of the Python as a staff at one point was intentional -- foolish, but intentional nonetheless. I just wanted to use a descriptive synonym for the item. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry for the confusion.
** I agree that Nifft made better use of a couple elements; had a better flow/pace to his entry; and presented more vivid scenery at the outset. And I agree to HATE my concluding paragraph with you!! This was an unintended snafu, the result of a late rush to post my adventure during site issues. There was more to this paragraph, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and feedback :)!!

Quickbeam

Explorer
Nifft, mythago & Majikthise:

Thank you for the kind congratulatory wishes. That round was a nailbiter to say the very least!! In fact, this tournament has played out like a mirror image of the last one for me thus far. A pretty solid First Round entry with a story that I really liked, followed by a shaky Second Round entry, which left me feeling lucky to have advanced. Now I just have to hope for a repeat performance of the Holiday tournament in the Finals, where I did my best work to date.

And when the next competition rolls around, I'll be looking to skip the Second Round of battles (without losing or forfeiting) somehow. Do they make "Get Out of This Battle Free" or "Go Directly to the Finals" cards ;)?

Last edited:

Remove ads