Winter IrondDM (Winner)!

incognito

First Post
Wicht: Hey guy, not for nothing - in the last IronDM I judged, weren't you the winner of the standard rounds, losing only to VAX in overtime?

The Judge understands Bright Llama is not an easy story element. He want to see how clever you are! I like unusual ingredients. Anyone remeber Shadow Dagon

If a more serious LLama is desired: did you get a chance to peek at my thought on the ingredient? ("How about a llama statuette with bright, glittering diamond eyes?" or a childs toy, a bright yellow, stuffed LLama)

And please folks, this IS IronDM - please contestents, expect the critisism. I certainly did not spare Nifft, though he was the winner. I meter out praise for well done elements as well!

mythago: only 3E DnD, not d20

And now I need two folks who are up early and want to compete!

Your ingredients are ready!

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Strange. My brain read "Lamia" every single time I saw the word "Llama." Even when reading the submissions. Weird. I liked them with Lamias better than with Llamas.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
MerakSpielman said:
Strange. My brain read "Lamia" every single time I saw the word "Llama." Even when reading the submissions. Weird. I liked them with Lamias better than with Llamas.

Hey, I mis-read it as "Lamia" the first few times too! "What a cool arch-villian, a Bright Lamia!", thought I. Ah, well.

-- Nifft

incognito

First Post
Round 1, Set 2

Quickbeam vs Howandwhy99

ingredients
Obvious Snafu
The Dolphin King
Keen Scythe
All-around vision
Ex-Patriots
Worg

let the ingredient whining begin!

(sorry Greybar, just missed it!)

It is 9:50AM EST, you have 24 hours. Good luck!

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Re: Round 1, Set 2

incognito said:
Quickbeam vs Howandwhy99

ingredients
Obvious Snafu
The Dolphin King
Keen Scythe
All-around vision
Ex-Patriots
Worg

let the ingredient whining begin!

No whining...just a quiet "yikes," followed by "interesting." See ya later tonight or early tomorrow morning :).

Wicht

Hero
Incognito, I'm sorry if my exposition came out sounding bitter or upset or something. Rereading it I can see how you might get that. On the other hand its full of smileys and I was smiling the whole time I was responding to your judgment. I'm really easy going and not at all upset about losing in the first round. Really. I'm smiling right now. :)

My only problem was that I just was a bit confused about some of your reactions to the use of ingredients as your comments about your perception of my intentions flew directly in the face of what I actually intended. I did not intend to use the llama seriously. I did not intend for the original set-up to be more than a bit of a farce on a classical greek tragedy, but as in most of my scenario's I tried to follow through with the consequences for the people caught up in the farce.

specifically, some examples of what you said that puzzled me...
Wicht has a tendency to craft scenario’s which are less than dark, even though their content is meant to be taken seriously
I have no idea why you would think I meant for anyone to take a huge llama seriously. Or for that matter a god of wind, rain and mountain tops named Ferfinigu (say that five times fast without smiling.) On the other hand I did mean for the xills to be taken seriously. Again I think this is personal preference. I personally like mixing the ridiculous in with the serious in the same story allowing the one to contrast with the other.

Of course you can see a DM telling players “you see before you, a Llama! shining like the sun – it wants to ask you a riddle…” and the subsequent south park laughter.
Which is exactly what I would expect to happen. You make it sound as if you thought I was failing in my purpose while stating that I would have accomplished what I thought my scenario would accomplish.

That was my only real beef. I didn't mind losing. I just didn't understand being criticized for using comedy when I was trying to use a bit of comedy. I seem to recall that my first entry in the last contest, in which I also was being funny (in my mind anyway) was not one of your favorites and so I am left with the conclusion that perhaps our styles of humor are just slightly out of kilter. :)

I thank you for judging though, bear no hard feelings, will be cheering for Nifft and look forward eagerly to the rest of the rounds. :cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads