Wis & Secondary Stats

Traycor

Explorer
So far we've seen Wisdom mentioned as a secondary stat of sorts for both Fighter and Wizard abilities. I really like this idea, and hope that all classes have a potential use for stats that are typically considered against the grain.

We saw some of this in 3E with feats such as dodge or weapon expertise, but it seems to me that 4E may be incorporating this stuff a little closer to home with the classes.

>>>Anyone have any good suggestions on other areas where 4E should incorporate secondary stats into class abilities?<<<

I think that all the mental attributes will be used for all classes.

Intelligence: Bonus skill points.
Wisdom: Powers/Combat Abilities known.
Charisma: Extra uses of Powers/Combat Abilities.

So, basically, if you want to play a character without any special powers, use all your mental stats as dump stats and you're set.

-TRRW

Alnag

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Intelligence: Bonus skill points.
Wisdom: Powers/Combat Abilities known.
Charisma: Extra uses of Powers/Combat Abilities.

Interesting.

Is that just a feeling, or are there some support for that? Not that I disagree, it looks really great, I am just curious. ;)

Li Shenron

Legend
Traycor said:
So far we've seen Wisdom mentioned as a secondary stat of sorts for both Fighter and Wizard abilities. I really like this idea, and hope that all classes have a potential use for stats that are typically considered against the grain.

I think this is really a good idea. 3e had that at the beginning, but didn't follow it at all later.

Let's hope it doesn't get totally spoiled by feats that allow to switch abilities when rolling.

Alnag said:
Is that just a feeling, or are there some support for that? Not that I disagree, it looks really great, I am just curious. ;)

Just seemed like the logical progression from both Star Wars SAGA and the basic core of D&D. Paladins have had extra smites based on Charisma for about 8 years now, and Star Wars SAGA introduced the whole "add 1+Wis Mod powers to your power suite" idea. I like it, and hope to be proven right when the 4e core books come out.

Of course, if I'm proven wrong, this is just conjecture and is thereby inadmissible.

-TRRW

DM_Blake

First Post
Don't forget that with the new stat system, even low stats will have some bonus. 10, 8, even 6 would be possible and, accorting to recent posts, add some positive bonus instead of negative.

If that's true, then these stats could still be dump stats and add positive modifiers.

JohnSnow

Hero
DM_Blake said:
Don't forget that with the new stat system, even low stats will have some bonus. 10, 8, even 6 would be possible and, accorting to recent posts, add some positive bonus instead of negative.

If that's true, then these stats could still be dump stats and add positive modifiers.

Again, that was wild speculation based on the Spined Devil preview card. A (much) more likely explanation is that the numbers reflected a +0.5 per level bonus to all the Spined Devil's skills and attribute checks.

So there's been no evidence that they're changing the attribute bonuses.

KingCrab

First Post
It's clear that 3.x tried to make at charisma more useful than 2nd edition with charisma effects for many classes. Tying wisdom to an important save also made a big difference to many classes. Intelligence for feats was a good choice as well. I liked this move and I'm glad 4ed is trying to continue with it. In general, I think charisma is the hardest to implement. Perhaps not for a leader type class (like the warlord) but for wizards and rogues, making charisma matter is harder.

Before they start making the mental stats important for everyone they need to sort out or change what they represent. Cha and Wis especially are muddled. If I want to be a powerful 'mental/natural' spellcaster type -read Sorcerer- why can't I be obnoxious? All mental/naturally inherited power users could talk the pants of the opposite sex? And all mentally tough people are wise and have great physical perceptions? And the Int/Wis absent-minded professor analogy is pathetic.
The physical attributes Str/Dex/Con has good, logical separation and can be easily believed and used. But Int/Wis/Cha are a muddle. It needs to be something like:
1. 'Ability to learn' stat. (for skill bonus and NPC intelligence, IMO a PCs int and wisdom is the players own)
2. 'Mental strength/toughness/power' stat
3. 'Perception' stat
4. 'charming sweet-talker' stat
IMO three stats don't cut it and, if we have to have 3 stats, then differentiate them better

Remove ads