• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Witch Bolt vs invisible question

Ganders

Explorer
Thanks for pointing that out about all the attack spells. I hadn't noticed it because I was focusing on the warlock spell list. I thought I'd found something different about those two spells because they were the only two without the 'target you can see' phrase. But it turns out those are the only two warlock spells with a ranged spell attack (other than cantrips). So it makes sense now.

Upon checking more carefully, I see that there are 12 spells in the PHB that involve ranged spell attacks, and none of them have the 'target you can see', but all the spells with saving throws do have that phrase. Good to know.

BTW, XGTE follows the same rules. But it also introduces five spells that have ranged spell attacks in subsequent rounds, which will introduce new questions that didn't come up in the PHB. For instance, if you use your action to beam someone from your Wall of Light, do you get disadvantage on the attack roll for someone standing next to the wall, or someone standing next to the caster, or both, or neither? But such is the price of progress.

Last edited:

Rexwell

First Post
Thanks for pointing that out about all the attack spells. I hadn't noticed it because I was focusing on the warlock spell list. I thought I'd found something different about those two spells because they were the only two without the 'target you can see' phrase. But it turns out those are the only two warlock spells with a ranged spell attack (other than cantrips). So it makes sense now.

Upon checking more carefully, I see that there are 12 spells in the PHB that involve ranged spell attacks, and none of them have the 'target you can see', but all the spells with saving throws do have that phrase. Good to know.

BTW, XGTE follows the same rules. But it also introduces five spells that have ranged spell attacks in subsequent rounds, which will introduce new questions that didn't come up in the PHB. For instance, if you use your action to beam someone from your Wall of Light, do you get disadvantage on the attack roll for someone standing next to the wall, or someone standing next to the caster, or both, or neither? But such is the price of progress.

Right, now they throw in a spell that is an exception to the (maybe) rule. And there doesn't seem to be a special reason it has in it's text "that you can see" in the wall of light's beam of radiance attack. It is weird that it doesn't specify if one or both sides of the wall is blinding and blocks line of sight--so you could read that you couldn't really attack with the beam of radiance an opponent on the other side.

Back to the original question, PHB pp 194-195 has Unseen Attackers and Targets. Invisibility and stealth generate a lot of debate though (because 5e invisibility is not undetected/unknown location but allows Hide action vs. invisible does mean undetected without extra action taken)

Remove ads