With how many people have of role-played with since your first game?

With how many people have of role-played since you first game?

• Less than 10

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 10-19

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 20-29

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 30-39

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • 40-49

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • 50-59

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 80-89

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90-99

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 100-149

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • 150-200

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 300+

Votes: 24 27.9%

Longspeak

Adventurer
300+

But now you're making me think about it...

40 years, dozens of conventions for 30 of those... 30-42 seats per con, two cons per year... (Sometimes three or four, but usually two)...

Impossible to track the repeat players, but I'd bet the number goes to four digits.

Now if we just say gaming groups... a lot smaller.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Breaking the options down by 10's is way too exact. I know I've roleplayed with more than 20 people, but less than 70. I'd have to do some serious recollecting and records-rummaging to get it any more exact than that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
AL and it's various earlier incarnations are a sizable amount by themselves. Just AL is probably in the 30s or 40s and I have only done a couple of the hardbacks. People joining and leaving, plus if a DM didn't make it the other tables incorporating in those players for the night (and vice versa, going to play at another table because the DM was out that week). I'd say 15 were fairly regular.

For long term groups it's different. Okay, I guess you could say that I have a couple of distinct gaming groups over the years, each running mutliple campaigns with various subsets of players, plus some external players who were just for that campaign. Let me estimate a group of 20, a group of 12-15, and a group of 10. Oh, and a group of 7. Oh wait, college, add another 15-20 ... eh, make that 10-15, some of those college buddies are included in other groups since.

One shots and short-form are probably 15-20 unique - even with the decades I've been gaming I don't do a lot of them, and often I'm invited to them by people I already have played with so there's only a few new per game.

I haven't attended a lot of different conventions, but one in particular I went to for a good number of years and ran at them for more years. When you run 5-6 sessions of 6-12 players with little overlap, that's a huge number of players right there. And that's just one year. Though there's a good amount of overlap in players from year to year. Still, it easily brings it over 200 (hey, there's no 201-300 bucket!), and could bring it to the 300+ bucket, so I voted there.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Hard to say for sure, I don’t even remember everyone I played with, but somewhere between 30-60. So I put in the 40-49 vote.

R_J_K75

Legend
In close to 40 years of gaming Ive been both a DM and a player with friends, people at game stores and people I met online. I chose 70-79 as a good estimation but honestly its probably closer to 100. Hmmm...I wonder what they are doing now?

ccs

41st lv DM
Far beyond 300+
*113 present & past that I can name. 20 or so make up my present day circles.
*About 15 or so that I can see their faces/know "Oh them, Xs friend _/that one guy/etc
*And then easily 750+ over 30 years of attending GenCon for whom I've no names (figure an average of 25 people over 3 days/5 RPG games each GC x30 conventions - and I've already counted the ones I can name in the above tally.)
*Then figure a couple hundred more through about 12 local cons while in college.
*Add about a dozen more through PbP/online games.

So upwards of at least 1k.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ignoring con games I voted 50-59, as the average of the 40-70 range I think I'm in.

Con games and one-shots would easily double and maybe even triple - or more - that number.

Remove ads