D&D (2024) With Weapon Mastery likely making it in, do you want optional exotic weapons and exotic weapon masteries?

Exotic Weapon Masteries?

• Exotic Weapons as Martial Weapons

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Exotic Weapons as Simple and Martial Weapons

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Exotic Weapons as Superior Weapons

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Exotic Weapons as Regional Weapons

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No Exotic Weapons

Votes: 17 41.5%

Vael

Legend
Well, I'd like the Double-Scimitar for Eberron, so I'm definitely in favour of some exotic weapons. I just don't think they should be a tier above martial weapons though.

And fie on realism, I do want my Xena bouncing Chakram, double-bladed swords to get my Darth Maul on, Spiked Chains, Bat'leths and Anime-sized swords.

In general ... with Weapon Mastery in the game ... it's now worth re-evaluating the weapons and maybe adding more Martial and Simple Weapons in addition to Exotics. Before, I'd have just put Cutlasses as just Scimitars, but now, maybe both are warranted?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’d love to see the 4e weapon properties (immobile, swift, bashing) and conditions (bleeding, dazed) reintroduced and some of the weapon feats too

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
exotic weapons are something that i'd want to provide their own unique play/fighting style just by wielding them, in a similar way to the new masteries and some of the '[X weapon] mastery' feats which provide special actions to use with regular weapons an exotic weapon would come with unique properties that inherently provide a combat style that isn't primarily just 'hit with it as hard and/or fast as you can', i mean, okay some of them would still primarily just be 'the next tier of weapons' but if someone wants to spend a feat to gain proficiency with a single powerful weapon let them.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Id love to see exotic weapons but 5e weapons just don't have enough crunch to support them as anything but a forced nonchoice or a pointless choice with no particular meaning mechanically

. The system is so overly simplified to the point where nice things like EWPs are walled out. Wotc would need to fix that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
exotic weapons are something that i'd want to provide their own unique play/fighting style just by wielding them, in a similar way to the new masteries and some of the '[X weapon] mastery' feats which provide special actions to use with regular weapons an exotic weapon would come with unique properties that inherently provide a combat style that isn't primarily just 'hit with it as hard and/or fast as you can', i mean, okay some of them would still primarily just be 'the next tier of weapons' but if someone wants to spend a feat to gain proficiency with a single powerful weapon let them.

You mean like Double weapos that let you deal additional 1d8 attacks.
Or a chain-sickle or rope-dagger that can let the warrior grapple from afar.
Or a Dwarven Warhammer that add Con to damage because it's so heavy it's tiring to use and sends shockwaves back into your hands.

Too bad Push can't be on light weapons so you can't do Scorpion "Get over here- Uppercut" off cliffs and pits of spikes.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Id love to see exotic weapons but 5e weapons just don't have enough crunch to support them as anything but a forced nonchoice or a pointless choice with no particular meaning mechanically

. The system is so overly simplified to the point where nice things like EWPs are walled out. Wotc would need to fix that.
Well that is the point.

By making Exotic weapons use Mastery AND not in the default style game, you can make the masteries for Exotic weapons as complex or zany as you want.

If the DM doesn't want bouncing Xena chakrams, don't drop them in shops and dungeons. But those who do can have a playtested quick guide on how to use them.

CreamCloud0

well i was thinking more things like
You mean like Double weapos that let you deal additional 1d8 attacks.
double weapon that provides two individual attacks per your number of attacks (i assume that you meant 1d8 damage rather than 1d8 attacks, 1d8 attacks seems awfully swingy per turn)
Or a chain-sickle or rope-dagger that can let the warrior grapple from afar.
that'd be fine, or like, 10ft reach weapon with 5ft pull effect on every attack
Or a Dwarven Warhammer that add Con to damage because it's so heavy it's tiring to use and sends shockwaves back into your hands.
dwarven warhammer that can only make 1 attack regardless of your number of attacks per attack action but forces your target and every creature in a 5ft radius to make a dex save not to get knocked prone
Too bad Push can't be on light weapons so you can't do Scorpion "Get over here- Uppercut" off cliffs and pits of spikes.
yeah just knocking around enemies around the battlefield into or out of position.

CreamCloud0

I’d prefer some specific weapon masteries for a class / subclass. I am not interested in exotic weapons
why do you think that? i don't see a good or engaging enough reason why only specifically, say, barbarians or sorcerers could learn to weild some specific weapon, or only one subset of clerics or rangers

Remove ads