Kaevon "Razorflame" Dweamonn,
Aeliera, apprentice of the North Wood Triad,
Magignus Evoker,
Meleody the Enchantress,
Imogen harbinger of fate,
Eisenhertz,
Gladross the bold,
Maxok the defiant,

My wife use a random name generator: 2d4 letters; 1d20 to generate consonants other than y, 1d6 to generate vowels and y; change as desired.
She's gotten names like:
Lujon (j pronounced like it was an h)
Molic Grey
Xam
Tela
But she rarely plays arcanists

rgard

Adventurer
RobF said:
I present the most bone-chilling wizard name in the history of wizard names.

To quote a famous movie:

"I am enchanter. There are some who call me, Tim.?.?"

Someone had to say it. This thread was just screaming for a Monty Python reference.

One of my friends is playing a Wookie Jedi (currently hairless due to a Jedi mind trick done by his Trandosian Jedi friend...but I already recounted that in a different thread), a Stone Child monster class based character and a Human Wizard...and all are named:

'Tim'.

And my last 3 characters are all named 'Robert' but with the French pronounciation.

Greetings from the land of boundless imagination!

Thanks,
Rich

rgard

Adventurer
EdL said:
Then there is always Blaise, Blaze, Blayze, etc. (Didn't Merlin use one of these sometimes?)

Speaking of Merlin...another of my friends from way back named his cleric: Merlin. We never did figure that one out, but we think he was so eager to play that he read the 1E players handbook from the beginning, read the cleric description first (c comes before w) and saw that clerics cast spells and rolled up the character.

Xath

Moder-gator
Thanee said:
Ambrose or Magellan!

[Deep Booming Voice] AMBROSE!!! [/DBV]

...It's Magellan

[Deep Booming Voice] Right...Magellan, whatever. [/DBV]

How about Harry Potter?

But seriously, have a look at some of the once-mentioned names in Rowling's books. They're a bit like Dickins meets Tolkien meets John Doe. Like Aberforth. Aberforth is a great Wizard's name.

Or you could come up with something completely cool and original. Like Xath. :D

rgard

Adventurer
Ero Gaki said:
A friend of mine who plays in our D&D games has a habit of having unimaginative names; things like Kyle, Jacob, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, a players character is his own business. Recently, this friend of mine, let's call him the Bill, has decided to play a wizard. He decided that he wanted a name for this character that is really, well, wizard-like. He doesn't want to steal names from books or the like (and he clearly stated that he wasn't going to use any of the big names, like Gandalf, Elminster, Mordenkainen, etc). So, I ask all of you: what are some really nice wizard names? Names that just scream "look at me, I'm a powerful wizard?"

My 1E Illusionist:

Pharazin Light-Bender, Decimator of Plebes and Illusionist of Ill Repute.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes you can use real-world names...if you give them a fantasy spin. Everybody in my game group loved my Ftr/Th Johnny Bones. Similarly, somtimes you can use another language's version of a name. John becomes Ian or Sean.

That in mind, take a name...any real-world name, and combine it with something else:

Jacob Startouched

Aaron Halfmoon

Alex the Seventh of the Seventh

Joanna of the Lore

Alastair Darkflame

Jean-Philippe DuMorte

Ian Shardson

Stefan Winterwolf

etc.

Or you can explore other cultural naming styles. Some I've used in the past:

Twelve Stars Falling (Native American)

Arion Dragomir (from Russo/Finnish)

lightful

Explorer
A favorite NPC from an earlier campaign was Imblaesus Nodostronin, would be lich and master of the fortress of Gor-Gandal.

It was fun when the party bard, attemting to impress a tribe of bugbears named the party as : The Knights of Gor-Gandal.

Remove ads