Wizard vs. Fighter duels

Victim

First Post
The victor will be the person with the cheatier complement of magic items. It's not like a fighter can't take UMD cross class, boost it with items, and then use all kinds of scrolls and such too.

Terrain control (Wall of Force, Solid Fog, etc) will be important, since it ignores most defenses. It also cuts the range of the fight, which can keep wizard from using long range attacks on the fighter's side.

I'd expect a fighter to packing some way to produce an AMF.

Rhun

First Post
I'd put my money on the wizard every time, especially if played by two players who know their PCs equally well. If the wizard is allowed to tailor his memorized spells to the situation, the fighter has even less of a chance.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Fighter:

1st: Blind Fight, Quick Draw
2nd: Weapon Focus (Longbow)
3rd: Improved Initiative
4th: Weapon Specialization (Longbow)
6th: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
8th: Manyshot
9th: Greater Weapon Focus
10th: Improved Critical
12th: Greater Weapon Specialization

Potion of See Invisibility (x3) (.9k)
Oathbow(+2 composite longbow [Str +2], +5 and +2d6 vs. sworn enemy)(25.6k)
Gloves of Dexterity +4 (16k)
Belt of Giant Strength +4 (16k)
------------------------------
58.5k, 30k for other stuff, maybe cloak of resistance +5

Full attack: Oathbow +21/+21/+16/+11 ranged (1d8+2d6+11/19-20;x3)
Standard Action: Manyshot Oathbow +17 ranged (three arrows) (1d8+2d6+11/19-20;x3)

MarkB

Legend
Wrathamon said:
I was thinking use a Force Cage scroll (standard action) with a quickened Acid Fog from a metamagic rod or wait a round and do the maximized acid fog using a rod.

The fighter would need to see invisible, fly or have some ranged attacks, good saves, good touch ac and probably carry around Rods of absorption and negation.
I'm thinking give the fighter a Cape of the Mountebank, just so that he has one "teleport of of cage free" card. That'll spoil the wizard's initial tactics in many cases.

Slife

First Post
Wrathamon said:
Nice one. The wizard could also just use a Scroll of Gate to do the same thing.

What would you gate in?
An efreet. 3 wishes should be enough to handle a level 12 fighter. And if you have time left on the efreet afterwards, get a start on the downpayment for your wizard's tower with a vat of black lotus extract.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. SLAs don't require components, XP or GP. If I have any wishes left over, I can get some more CoIs by wishing for them.

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
I'm thinking give the fighter a Cape of the Mountebank, just so that he has one "teleport of of cage free" card. That'll spoil the wizard's initial tactics in many cases.

Consumes too much of his initial budget...

tylermalan

First Post
Rhun said:
I'd put my money on the wizard every time, especially if played by two players who know their PCs equally well. If the wizard is allowed to tailor his memorized spells to the situation, the fighter has even less of a chance.

I would have to agree. Versatility will win this fight, not initiative, and the fighter unfortunately falls behind the wizard in that regard.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Well, if playing dirty:
Elemental Gem (Air) [x10] 25k

Large Air Elementals with the Whirlwind special ability, summon 2 of them at a time (so that they don't all die in one big Area of Effect spell)

Stalker0

Legend
As stated, the problem with create a character to duel matches is it always comes down to the cheesy custom equipment that each side pickes. But if we are talking standard stuff that both would normally have, and they are not starting right next to each other, my odds are on the wizard every time.

Remove ads