Wizard vs. Fighter duels

Nadaka

First Post
IIRC the rule states no buff round, IE no round to cast short duration buffs before the fight. Contingency is a very long duration buff, and should be allowed as should anything that lasts a good half day or more.

Andor

First Post
Yah know, this thread makes me wonder...

A fighter type needs to take quickdraw, or spend a move action to draw a weapon no matter how large or small, even a vorpal toothpick. At best he can multitask drawing the weapon while moving.

A wizard on the other hand can acurately select the correct spell component, whether bat crap, a live spider, or a golden symbol-banging monkey, from dozens of other components in no time at all, not even a free action, from a small and crowded pouch the size of a llama's nostril.

I've always been under the impression that DnD is rather rock/paper/scissory about the classes fighting, most of the fighter types lose to magical types, most of the magical types lose to rogue/skill types, and the skill types die vs. fighter types.

It's not a perfect system by a long means, Cleric and Druid both tend to break the pattern a bit of course.

Slife

First Post
Andor said:
Yah know, this thread makes me wonder...

A fighter type needs to take quickdraw, or spend a move action to draw a weapon no matter how large or small, even a vorpal toothpick. At best he can multitask drawing the weapon while moving.

A wizard on the other hand can acurately select the correct spell component, whether bat crap, a live spider, or a golden symbol-banging monkey, from dozens of other components in no time at all, not even a free action, from a small and crowded pouch the size of a llama's nostril.

The rules never say you have to be holding only the needed material components. I'm guessing they just hold the pouch up and the correct components are automagically used.

green slime

First Post
Of course the interesting thing is that back in the day ('twas 3.0 then), when there were organised "Games of Death" on these boards, which involved 10-15 characters in a free-for-all slaughtering each other, the wizard characters tended not to last very long. Probably because many of the wizard players couldn't resist opening with the big guns, killing off one or two opponents, wounding a few others, and getting a big X marked on their foreheads.

Those characters that did well, were clerics and fighter-types (with PrCs). Back then AMF was cheaper for a fighter to obtain through magical items. Fighter-types have the hp to take severe punishment.

While I enjoyed some of the earlier games, the format had its limits: In every game, too much information was given away, removing the fog of war.

Another problem, was getting players to enter legal characters. Most of characters entered had problems: exceeding wealth limitations, exceeding stat limitations (32 point buy?), ignoring prerequisites for PrC & feats, ignoring the ruleset for the game at hand.

Out of game insulting of other players, via their email was another unpleasant aspect.

The final problem was the amount of sour grapes and calls of DM-favouritism.

Remove ads