Wizard vs. Fighter duels

Endur

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Potion of See Invisibility (x3) (.9k)
Oathbow(+2 composite longbow [Str +2], +5 and +2d6 vs. sworn enemy)(25.6k)
Gloves of Dexterity +4 (16k)
Belt of Giant Strength +4 (16k)
------------------------------
58.5k, 30k for other stuff, maybe cloak of resistance +5

Don't forget the arrows of slaying.

Endur

First Post
Wrathamon said:
The Arena
Box arena 180 x 60 x 60 each player starts 120 feet from each other with 60 feet behind them. The walls, ceiling and ground are solid stone with dirt covering the floor. Everburning Lanterns are mounted on the walls every 30ft.

As the fighter, the first thing I'd do is vote to change the arena.

I'd prefer to fight in a swimming pool with both characters starting in adjacent five foot squares.

Let's see that wizard cast spells while his head is held underwater.

Moleculo

First Post
The Arena size probably skews the fight towards the Wizard. The wizard basically gets off a free spell while the fighter makes range to attack.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
For the fighter, I'd go - Any 30' move race, Boots of speed, any method of improving initiative/dex, improved grapple, stunning fist.

At 120' starting distance, they can charge that with the boots... hope the stunning fist sticks. Then grapple + beat to death.

i.e. make a pretend monk. :)

My moneys on the wizard almost every time though. Preparing for a specific fight is one of their real strong points after all?

green slime

First Post
How on earth can you have 60 feet behind each participant in an arena with a length of 180 feet if they are start 120 feet apart?!?!?

Normal geometry would imply that if they were 120 feet apart in a 180 feet long arena, that they would have 30 feet behind each of them to the wall.

I'd also suggest in a "best 2 of 3" contest, that spells, and single use items used in previous matches are considered consumed, and therefore not available in later rounds. This has two effects:

Reduces the reliance on a single strategy. And closer emulates results within an ordinary game.

irdeggman

First Post
I hate the "every time" scenario.

A wizard will beat a fighter if he has range.

If they are within melee range the fighter will win.

These are pretty much always constant (excluding buffs and special preparation).

Any situation that is geared towards distance (greater or lesser) tips things in the favor of on of the two.

Typically a fighter will survive more "attacks" made by the wizard than the wizard will survive from the fighter. The question is how many "attacks" can the wizard get off before the fighter can get off his? Which is why distance favors the wizard and proximity favors the fighter.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
How about changing the point buy to 32 from 25? The wizard only really needs one good stat, two sort of for con, but that's the whole point of never getting hit! I think high-powered point buy would be fairer, since the fighter has much greater MAD.

Slife

First Post
Are Contingencied spells allowed? A contingency Dimension Door + feather fall gets the wizard out of the fighter's range (even if the fighter goes first). Casting fly will keep the wizard up there once it's his turn.

Remove ads