D&D 5E Wizards is hiring a senior game designer for Dungeons & Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yes they do. People deserve to be paid according to the scarcity of their skills, rarity and production. They absolutely deserve to be poor if their life goals are designed around staying poor. Choices have consequences.

There are plenty of people who would love to be RPG designers as such the pay should be very low and I will bet they get tens of thousands of applications for this job. Heck I would love to do it, but I would rather keep my high salary as an aerospace engineer and let WOTC pay someone else to do it for $50k a year and I will play what they design, while having money left over for other things.
Trouble is, that analysis leaves a lot of people society finds useful in poverty. You like clean bathrooms at work? You like having pizza delivered or being waited on at restaurants? You like having people help you at any local retail outfit? The skills involved are low and lots of people can do the job, yet life kinda sucks without people willing to do those things. They do not deserve to live in poverty for waiting on you or cleaning up the offices where you work.

Oofta

Legend
Trouble is, that analysis leaves a lot of people society finds useful in poverty. You like clean bathrooms at work? You like having pizza delivered or being waited on at restaurants? You like having people help you at any local retail outfit? The skills involved are low and lots of people can do the job, yet life kinda sucks without people willing to do those things. They do not deserve to live in poverty for waiting on you or cleaning up the offices where you work.

While I agree, minimum wages are a topic for a different forum.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes they do. People deserve to be paid according to the scarcity of their skills, rarity and production. They absolutely deserve to be poor if their life goals are designed around staying poor. Choices have consequences.

There are plenty of people who would love to be RPG designers as such the pay should be very low

By your own logic, no - there are plenty of people who would love to be RPG designers, but those that have the skills and ability to produce are... rare. Compensation should be based on how many can do the job, not how many want the job.

NotAYakk

Legend

There are plenty of people who would love to be RPG designers as such the pay should be very low and I will bet they get tens of thousands of applications for this job. Heck I would love to do it, but I would rather keep my high salary as an aerospace engineer and let WOTC pay someone else to do it for $50k a year and I will play what they design, while having money left over for other things.
Naw, if you pay crap you'll get people with no better choices.

That is fine if the job is seperable and scales (a job where 2 less competent people are as good as or better than 1 more competent person), because paying less and getting more people has better yield.

In jobs that don't scale that way, having plenty of applicants is not the restricting factor. You are competing against alternative careers, not just within the industry.

Having 3x as many less skilled designers doesn't replace 1 more skilled designer.

Now, if you have budget problems, you make do with the cheap enthusiastic supply. But if your problem is, say, capitalizing on a brand that is making 1/3 of your companies profit... your problem is efficiently spending money to leverage that brand.

Masses of lower paid designers become a problem, not a solution. The management costs to handle the resulting content end up destroying any savings from cheaper hires.

You want fewer, higher paid, more skilled designers. Both because the higher pay keeps designers in the career, and because it changes how the management treats and consumes designers.

I mean, you could have warehouses of seperable task workers to support the core of the business. And you can work to make work more seperable and scaling.

But at the scale of D&D at this point, nickle and diming sr game designers would be an idiotic move.

Requiring a Liberal Art's bachelor's degree is obscene. There is no justification for that requirement nothing in that job that can't be done by someone without one.

It's just another attack on regular folks, a reminder we aren't one of them or their equals as far as they are concerned.

Too many jobs ask for post secondary education that don't actually NEED that level of education as is, which is causing all kinds of problems.

It should be law that for an employer to require or semirequire university education they have to provide justification as to way someone without it can't do that job, like yeah a surgeon obviously needs it, but many jobs don't.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Requiring a Liberal Art's bachelor's degree is obscene. There is no justification for that requirement nothing in that job that can't be done by someone without one.

It's just another attack on regular folks, a reminder we aren't one of them or their equals as far as they are concerned.

Too many jobs ask for post secondary education that don't actually NEED that level of education as is, which is causing all kinds of problems.

It should be law that for an employer to require or semirequire university education they have to provide justification as to way someone without it can't do that job, like yeah a surgeon obviously needs it, but many jobs don't.
I mean, that's pretty standard across the board, and given what kind of work they are looking for here it makes perfect sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

For context, 42% of Americans over the age of 25 have a college degree. Having a college degree is something "regular folks" have all the time.

By your own logic, no - there are plenty of people who would love to be RPG designers, but those that have the skills and ability to produce are... rare. Compensation should be based on how many can do the job, not how many want the job.
I truly wonder at the state of WOTC and their hiring practices/standards that they have to do an open call like this. What, precisely, is the management team at WOTC looking for in said senior designer? The fact they can't fill this position internally and choose a cattle call speaks volumes to me.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

They're probably looking for an education that exercised and developed their applicants' writing skills. Most high school education doesn't do that enough. So an obscene requirement? Not in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases