D&D 5E Wizards planning a change to lycanthropes?

JEB

Legend

Seems they're sort-of playtesting replacing lycanthropes' resistances with regeneration, instead.

Particularly interesting that they had an opportunity to make that update for Curse of Strahd Revamped, released just last year, and hadn't. Almost like they've since started rethinking some aspects of monster design. I wonder why they'd be doing that...?

Zardnaar

Legend
Is it just magic weapons or other stuff?

Not to fussed as magic weapon resistance is useless a lot of the time.

Regeneration often is as well so....

Hussar

Legend
Really? A PC that only takes damage from magic weapons is a HUGE buff. Most monsters in single digit CR's don't have magic attacks. Sure, there's some with energy attacks, but, they're not exactly common. I just saw what adding Were-rat does to a PC in my campaign and it makes that character FAR too powerful.

Love the regeneration version. Much less powerful but still keeps the flavor.

Is there still a connection with silver? Does silver weapon damage cause regeneration to not work for a round? That would actually be an even better way of doing it than a weapon immunity that first level characters with cantrips can bypass. Especially if you actually need silver and magic weapons won't turn off the regeneration.

JEB

Legend
Regeneration. The wereraven regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the wereraven takes damage from a silvered weapon or spell, this trait doesn't function at the start of the wereraven's next turn. The wereraven dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't regenerate.

(I know this isn't what they meant with the wording, but now I'm wondering how one casts a "silvered spell".)

The werehares (Dragon #156), weresloths and weredonkeys(asswere) were canon in AD&D, but they can be dreadful if the right author wants to creates a story with a touch of dark comedy. Do you remember the horror movie "Black Sheep"?

The werevernims was published in the web for the 3.5 Ed.

I miss the theriantropes as monster PCs.

I add them the weakeness by the White Wolf's garou: silver allergy, "magic", but also fire and toxic(acid and/or poison)

Theriantropes/werebeasts can be good nemesis of monster PCs if the DM makes a good work.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It makes me wonder if the upcoming product involving feywild stuff might have new rules and/or features for PCs gaining or starting with lycanthropy and they are worried about balance issues (especially for PCs at low level)? As we've seen with barbarians while raging, halving their damage can get kind of irritating for a DM after a while because you just have to really pound on them to truly affect them. But now imagine having a party of like 3 barbarians and a couple other PCs? You'd have to overload the battlefield to put enough firepower on there to hurt the barbarians, but you also are running the risk of wiping the other PCs at the same time because they can't take the same sort of heat. That's kind of like what would happen if you had a party where half the PCs had lycanthropy.

At least with Regeneration, that just gives you a small handful of healed HP at the top of each of your turns. Healing say 5 HP at the start of your turn has much less impact on the game's balance than halving the damage on each and every attack you take in a round. Resistance could save yourself from 10, 20, 40 points of damage a round... Regen would only get you back a handful.

Personally whatever the reasons are they won't really affect me, because to me lycanthropy has really been neutered as a concept with the proliferation of Wildshape. Druids don't drop all their clothes and equipment when they turn into animals like weres do, and they essentially have two pools of hit points (their humanoid and their animal forms) to just absorb so much damage (where lycans have one pool and only get Resistance up until the PCs gain magic weapons-- which happens probably at like level 5). A PC who is cursed with lycanthopy to me is just a poor man's Wildshaper. It's not deadly or a problem, it's just annoying.

Could it be with a view to more televisual iterations of D&D (eg, movie, tv shows)? Regeneration can be easily shown on screen, with cuts closing up etc; resistance less so, being more of a function of game mechanics/character sheet.

Remove ads