D&D 5E Wizard's Presents is coming August 18th

like it or hate it the two companies i doubt could put out each others products without major tonal shifts

I think your absolutely wrong about that, WotC already does Grimdark/Horror products, from the Book of Vile Darkness, to Darksun, Paul S Kemp novels, Amonkhet, Ravenloft, Innistrad, and GW does campy stuff like blood bowl. I think this is part of the point of the 40k Commander Decks and Secret Lairs, to prove they can do GW stuff right.

Now Hasbro is too happy with the licence of Star Wars than working with their own IP. If they wanted they could publish something with a tone closer to young adult audience, but my opinion is Hasbro is betting for family-friendy franchises because they youngest generations can start before, these can be "captivated" before.

* I had forgotten the idea of W40K as skins in Fortnite.

Scribe

Legend
Why?

"Hasbro" might be mostly family friendly, but WotC and Eone have a much broader product range then Hasbro. Darksun, Ravenloft, Amonkhet, 4e FR, Planescape, all and more can be as dark or darker and more adult then 40k. 40k might not fit Hasbro to a t, but it does it WotC to a t.
None of those reach the absurdity of 40K and no, I wouldn't trust WotC to leave things alone at all.

Wizards has a very different customer base, and that base is excessively vocal on twitter. Them purchasing GW would be absolutely awful.

games workshop buying D&D?
I think rules is actually what GW does worse, and new settings (AoS was so bad on release...) that that would also be terrible, but at least 40K would be safe from being sanitized...

SAVeira

Adventurer
GW is worth roughly 3 billion, WotC generate what a billion per year, its a massive purchase yes, but Hasbro can afford it yes.
Given some of the current market forecasts I have been hearing about GW, they might be looking for a buyer. There is some concern that their sales and revenue has peak or is peaking. Hasbro could organize the funding for a buyout extremely easy, if they thought there was value in acquiring GW to them. However, that is question: just cause they could, does that mean they would?

Scribe

Legend
Given some of the current market forecasts I have been hearing about GW, they might be looking for a buyer. There is some concern that their sales and revenue has peak or is peaking. Hasbro could organize the funding for a buyout extremely easy, if they thought there was value in acquiring GW to them. However, that is question: just cause they could, does that mean they would?
I do believe that a crunch is coming up, it will be interesting to see how their HH 2nd edition makes out, and 10th isn't too far away for 40K either.

I believe their approach to the rules/game side is holding them back, or will prevent as much growth as they could have, but they are still doing good things in other areas.

I do believe that a crunch is coming up
when economies are bad movie theaters do good... why, becuse when you are broke and need a bit of entertainment you go to the movies.... the same is true for board/card games normally.
2end of 2019 into early 2020 was a HUGE kick in the pants to the economy and Hasbro did amazing for it (WotC in particular) I can't imagine that D&D would have the growth it did without a mix of 'down economy' 'noone leaving there house' 'game streams' 'virtual tables' and 'amazon ships direct'

so I don;t think (and GOD I hope hasbro/WotC realizes this) the rpg boom is going to continue forever.

I have said several times in my opinion the strategy by Hasbro is to use the brands for different types of products. This is known as "multimedia franchise". For example Ravenloft wouldn't be only new sourcebooks or modules, but gothic novels for young adults, and maybe some supernatural romance, any survival horror videogame, or that (Risibilos dark lord) Doedorn's dummy who says to be the true Strand von Zarovich as skin in Fortnite (it is a idea so fool than it may be possible).

Remove ads