D&D (2024) Wizards Presents show on August 18th! Update: WotC announces guests and time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IME the difference lies in the fiction around the adventure the PCs are on. Sometimes an hour rest doesn't matter, sometimes the PCs feel like going to ground for that long could lead to complications. For my group, 5 minutes seems to be the sweet spot.

That said, something as short as a 2 action short rest could work fine as well. You start it with one action, if you move, use a reaction or take damage before you take your next action, the short rest fails (which could be a fun way for a Fighter to use Action Surge), otherwise you use your action to 'short rest' and gain the benefits, ending your turn. You can take a short rest twice per day in this way.

And really, even a 1 action short rest with the 2 per day limit would probably work fine.
Yeah for me, I’d just let it be a “moment of relative safety and calm, when you can take a breather”.
The thing about short rests is it doesn't matter how long they are if it doesn't matter how long they are. That is, if you aren't in a dungeon making wandering monster checks over "2 turns" then the only difference between 5minutes and an hour is a few spell durations.
IME, 5 minutes is extremely different from 1 hour, especially when the game isn’t a dungeon crawl at all.

Reynard

Legend
Yeah for me, I’d just let it be a “moment of relative safety and calm, when you can take a breather”.

IME, 5 minutes is extremely different from 1 hour, especially when the game isn’t a dungeon crawl at all.
Why, what difference does 5 minutes vs an hour have on the road to Gondor of while lurking the alleys of Lahnkmar?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But that can’t be done.
Sure it can. You just can’t share it with the community.
Why, what difference does 5 minutes vs an hour have on the road to Gondor of while lurking the alleys of Lahnkmar?
Taking 5 minutes can be done without losing a trail or having to risk exhaustion to make up lost time. 1 hour is harder. In a challenge measured in hours, 5 minutes might as well be “no action required”.

Narratively, it’s often the difference between doing what the character would actually do (only stop for a quick breather) vs what the game mechanics demand of the player (taking a 1 hour rest, which is quite long in a tense situation.)

All five side stories from Dominaria United. Tomorrow is the last chapter of the main story. I don't know if it will be released before, during, or after Wizards Presents.

Death and Salvation

Parmandur

Book-Friend
All five side stories from Dominaria United. Tomorrow is the last chapter of the main story. I don't know if it will be released before, during, or after Wizards Presents.

Death and Salvation

TL;DR?

Remove ads