D&D (2024) Wizards Presents show on August 18th! Update: WotC announces guests and time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wasn't thinking that there would be a parallel MtG release. If I remember correctly, the MtG Ikoria stuff was about 2 years ago. This may be something that has been in development for D&D for a while, but spent some time in development hell. Perhaps until they decided to combine it with giants so there would be player options.
Well, precedent only goes so far since this is still a trailblazing crossover, but thus far all the D&D books with a Magic Setting have coincided with a Magic card Set within a few months. Ikoria cards aren't even in Standard rotation anymore, IIRC, or soon wonbe.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm all for a epic Vecna adventure but I have my doubts that they will make a new edition. I could be wrong but it just doesn't make sense. I agree with @Parmandur that we wont see an edition but just D&D.
Well, 5E is "just D&D" but it's still a different edition. Whenever WotC updates the rules, fans will keep changing the name of the edition to reflect those changes.
Wizards has been very clear about backwards compatibility. The changes are so small that just released Starter Set is meant to continue as the starter set for several years
They were also clear about the backwards compatibility of 3.5 prior to release. So a lot of people are understandably leery. They put out 3X books right up to the release of 4E. It's not unimaginable that they'd keep putting out books right up until the release of an incompatible new edition.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Well, 5E is "just D&D" but it's still a different edition. Whenever WotC updates the rules, fans will keep changing the name of the edition to reflect those changes.

They were also clear about the backwards compatibility of 3.5 prior to release. So a lot of people are understandably leery. They put out 3X books right up to the release of 4E. It's not unimaginable that they'd keep putting out books right up until the release of an incompatible new edition.
But did they use the same Starter Set for 3&4?

Because they will with 5e and the "new" edition

Remove ads