Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Ryujin

Adventurer
Yeah, being 9 when the 80’s ended definitely doesn’t make you an objective source of 80’s information, or “feel”.

It doesn’t feel like the 80’s to you, fine. It feels more like the 80s than Stranger Things does, to me. From the mall scene to the politics to the clothes and the way people talk, it’s a movie set in the 80s.
As someone who was in his 20s, in the '80s, if they didn't show any Peggy Bundy hair/Brigette Nielsen flat tops, shoulder pads that you could land a plane on, or headbands, then it wasn't the '80s that I knew.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Opening scene felt 80s after that kinda got dropped for the most part imho.
I’ll agree that the opening scene felt the most 80’s, but the movie never once felt like it was set in any other time. It just didn’t beat the audience over the head with nostalgia-bait.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As someone who was in his 20s, in the '80s, if they didn't show any Peggy Bundy hair/Brigette Nielsen flat tops, shoulder pads that you could land a plane on, or headbands, then it wasn't the '80s that I knew.
Those things stand out more in memory than in reality, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don’t feel the need to qualify myself by my age, but it felt 80s to me. More importantly, it was made in the style of the 80s and felt like an early Richard Donner film. It wasn’t just set in the 80s, the film was made like an 80s film. I don’t understand how people didn’t feel that, but it syncs well with my memories of the 80s and, presumably, the writers’ memories of the 80s.

Mercurius

Legend
I don’t feel the need to qualify myself by my age, but it felt 80s to me. More importantly, it was made in the style of the 80s and felt like an early Richard Donner film. It wasn’t just set in the 80s, the film was made like an 80s film. I don’t understand how people didn’t feel that, but it syncs well with my memories of the 80s and, presumably, the writers’ memories of the 80s.
Actually, I kind of agree with you. I previously said that Stranger Things did the 80s better, but I think it did 80s nostalgia better. WW84 felt kind of like a movie actually made in the 80s, warts and all (mostly warts, imo).

I don't think it had a cheesy saxophone love scene, though, but can't remember the music when she got it on with Steve.

Ryujin

Adventurer
Fair enough, that sort of thing is certainly regional.

But like Morrus said, is sure felt like I was in the 80’s watching a movie set in the 80’s, other than the picture quality.
Peggy Bundy hair is a bit of an exaggeration but if you look at the cover of the Lee Aaron albums "Metal Queen" or "Call of the Wild", it will give you a good idea. Lee Aaron used to hang around the same mall that I did and many of the local girls emulated her hair style.

Which reminds me: Were there any teens hanging around in the malls, in the movie?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which reminds me: Were there any teens hanging around in the malls, in the movie?
Yes. There was even an arcade scene which hit my nostalgic juices right in the nose. There’s something about those arcades that a PS4 doesn’t capture.

And Peggy Bundy was the decade from the late 80s-late 90s and only existed on a sitcom. This film is set in 1984.

I feel like a lot of people remember the 90s and think that was the 80s.

One of the thoughts that kept going through my head while watching this movie, was how it kind of felt like the plot to a hokey D&D adventure, and not the plot to a big comicbook movie. In fact, I think a friend of mine ran an adventure with a similar premise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One of the thoughts that kept going through my head while watching this movie, was how it kind of felt like the plot to a hokey D&D adventure, and not the plot to a big comicbook movie. In fact, I think a friend of mine ran an adventure with a similar premise.
I don't think "plot to a big comic book movie" is something to aspire to.

Ryujin

Adventurer
Yes. There was even an arcade scene which hit my nostalgic juices right in the nose. There’s something about those arcades that a PS4 doesn’t capture.

Definitely. Arcades were a fixture and every major shopping mall that I was in, back then, had at least one that employed a bunch of high school kids.

And Peggy Bundy was the decade from ten llate 80s-late 90s and only existed on a sitcom. This film is set in 1984.

I feel like a lot of people remember the 90s and think that was the 80s.

Peggy Bundy was a decade behind the times ;) Here's the example I posted about, from 1985.

Attachments

• 61CqfYblVkL._SL1280_.jpg
    61CqfYblVkL._SL1280_.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8

I don't think "plot to a big comic book movie" is something to aspire to.

What I mean is that the plot of WW84 didn't feel like it fit a blockbuster. It felt more like a simple D&D adventure. It didn't feel like it had high enough stakes and conflict to justify its length and budget.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I mean is that the plot of WW84 didn't feel like it fit a blockbuster. It felt more like a simple D&D adventure. It didn't feel like it had the right stakes and conflict to justify its length.
Length?! I mean, it has bigger stakes than The Godfather, which was longer. I don't think we view movies as the same things.

I don't think the movie was great (it was OK), and I"m not trying to claim it was, but "it wasn't 80s enough" (I do remember the 80s) and "the stakes didn't justify the length" (of all things) don't factor into it at all for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Definitely. Arcades were a fixture and every major shopping mall that I was in, back then, had at least one that employed a bunch of high school kids.
Well, you asked. That was the answer. Yes, there were teenagers in the malls.

Mallus

Hero
Since we’re throwing down our old people bona fides, I was born in 1969, making me between eleven and twenty in the 1980s. During which time I saw a lot of movies. For bonus points, mostly at mall multiplexes (or on HBO!).

WW84 absolutely felt like a 80s summer movie — and not necessarily blockbuster — to me. The kind of high-concept action/comedy exemplified by films like Ghostbusters or Weird Science that eventually got supplanted by supers movies (exemplified by the MCU).

Advertisement2

Advertisement4